Let's Talk About... Raspberry Ketones

Options

Replies

• TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    So what can we really conclude from all this? That Dr Oz has no idea what he's talking about if he says raspberry ketones do anything special for humans
    It does do something for a limited number of humans, it makes them very rich! :bigsmile:
    #4. Not all supplements work for everyone
    True. However, there are some supplements that work for nobody, and the evidence seems to suggest that this is one of them.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    #3. There are plenty of supplements that don't have medical backing that do work. DAA is one of them, I've heard so many interesting varying things about DAA. I know from my blood work that DAA does indeed work for test. boosting.

There are a few studies that show DAA works, that's where the oft cited 30% increase in test comes from. And sure some supps do work with scant or no human studies, but to say a supp specifically does something with no backing what so ever has to call into question the credibility of the person making it
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    What's funny is that a higher fat diet doesn't even lead to weight gain. Excess calories and refined garbage does.

Oz is a hack.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    #3. There are plenty of supplements that don't have medical backing that do work. DAA is one of them, I've heard so many interesting varying things about DAA. I know from my blood work that DAA does indeed work for test. boosting.

There are a few studies that show DAA works, that's where the oft cited 30% increase in test comes from. And sure some supps do work with scant or no human studies, but to say a supp specifically does something with no backing what so ever has to call into question the credibility of the person making it

Then there is studies that show DAA makes you go crazy and kills brain functions. The problem is test results have way too many variables. The one thing I do say about Raspberry Ketones is I think they have to have some value to some people. Some companies which I respect greatly do have the Ketones in some of their products. I don't question them much at all, as the company has shown to be one of the more up and up companies in the supplement business. The problem is people look for that magical silver bullet and it's just not there. I saw the Dr. Oz. episode and thought he worded it incredibly wrong. I also think the guy is a sellout.

I do agree with you on supplement labels and claims. USP Labs is horrible about it, some of the blanket claims they make are just ridiculous.
  • secretiive
    secretiive Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a background in the science arena, and most of the time, we look for the ability to repeat results that come during clinical trials. So the study may not be taken very seriously without more studies producing the same results.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Then there is studies that show DAA makes you go crazy and kills brain functions. The problem is test results have way too many variables. The one thing I do say about Raspberry Ketones is I think they have to have some value to some people. Some companies which I respect greatly do have the Ketones in some of their products. I don't question them much at all, as the company has shown to be one of the more up and up companies in the supplement business. The problem is people look for that magical silver bullet and it's just not there. I saw the Dr. Oz. episode and thought he worded it incredibly wrong. I also think the guy is a sellout.

I do agree with you on supplement labels and claims. USP Labs is horrible about it, some of the blanket claims they make are just ridiculous.

There are companies that use ketones or sell a standalone ketone product, SNS and AI sports come to mind, but for example SNS still sells CEE and that has been proven to be garbage. So simply because a company uses or sells a product that that happens to make other great product doesn't tell me much.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    I can tell you that raspberry ketones will not be good for my diet, because every time the topic comes up on here, it makes me want some fruity cocktail or cookie.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Dr oz is in business for ratings. He got you to all watch and talk and check out his website. Advertising dollars in his pocket.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Lots of questions are being asked about this "miracle" pill that some guy recommended on his tv show.

Raspberry ketones are are a phenolic compound derived from red raspberries. They were studied for their effect on weight loss due to a similar chemical makeup of synephrine (whose efficacy on weight loss is also questionable)

Raspberry ketones
    raspberryketone.gif

Synephrine

synefrine.gif

This study on mice showed that when fed a high fat diet, the mice put on less weight while using raspberry ketones then without

Anti-obese action of raspberry ketone. Life Sci. 2005 May 27;77(2):194-204
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15862604

raspberryketone4.gif

The only one i could find on humans is an unpublished clinical trial done in 2007, now if the results were so awesome, why was it never published or more studies done on it?

http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/news/2007/04/razberi-ktm-supports-fat-oxidation.aspx

So what can we really conclude from all this? That Dr Oz has no idea what he's talking about if he says raspberry ketones do anything special for humans like target specific fat stores, because the evidence it does so is simply not there
    I believe the mouse study has raspberry ketone consumption at 2% of total calories consumed. That would equate to about 200 calories for a human trial, and considering the actual cost of the extract to be about 500.00 an ounce, don't know how many calories that would represent, but suffice is to say, in a supp, which is not regulated, it would be inconsequential and pretty much another money grap for the uninformed and desperate. Save your money people.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

There are companies that use ketones or sell a standalone ketone product, SNS and AI sports come to mind, but for example SNS still sells CEE and that has been proven to be garbage. So simply because a company uses or sells a product that that happens to make other great product doesn't tell me much.

AI sports is who I was getting at. The Nate's and John are good people.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    What if I take HCG and take Raspberry Ketones? How ripped will I get.....oh and I can't work out either but, I'm hoping I gain 15-20lbs of lean body mass in like 3 weeks.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    What if I take HCG and take Raspberry Ketones? How ripped will I get.....oh and I can't work out either but, I'm hoping I gain 15-20lbs of lean body mass in like 3 weeks.

Skinny fat is hawt.

not really....
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

You need a supplement called Black Liver.

2mcnxh.jpg

You'll never want again.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    IMO...Why bother with any supplements if you just need to move your *kitten* and eat right? What good will looking good do if you're heart and liver are malfucnctioning from taking so much crapola?
    Raspberry Ketones have been used for awhile now but again the issue with fat burners and other pills is people don't understand what they are for. (BTW, I don't buy into Raspberry Ketones, but there are fat burners that work)

#1. They aren't miracle pills, you still have to move your *kitten* and eat right (in a deficit)
    #2. They aren't made for people needing to drop a ton of weight, they are made for those people at a lower body fat (12% or so) who usually want to drop sub 10% BF. That is what they are designed for, they aren't designed for people trying to lose a bunch of weight to take and watch it melt off.
    #4. Not all supplements work for everyone, we are all different and some supplements you might be non-responding to. I've tired a few that did nothing to me, but I gave them to my bud who had great success with them. Our bodies are not all the same.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

The only one i could find on humans is an unpublished clinical trial done in 2007, now if the results were so awesome, why was it never published or more studies done on it?

It's a conspiracy!!

35cij7.jpg
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    IMO...Why bother with any supplements if you just need to move your *kitten* and eat right? What good will looking good do if you're heart and liver are malfucnctioning from taking so much crapola?

#1. Only stimmed supps are going to have issues on heart. If you follow recommended dosage even then very little effect.
    #2. Some supplements help with liver function.
    #3. Supplements give you an edge, they aren't the answer all - in - one. Just gives you an edge.

I'm a huge fan of natty test boosters. They worked for me back in the day, and they have helped me greatly recently. I've never used a fat burner.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Thanks for the information!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I heard sales of raspberry ketones just spiked after this thread went up.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    #3. Supplements give you an edge, they aren't the answer all - in - one. Just gives you an edge.

I'm a huge fan of natty test boosters. They worked for me back in the day, and they have helped me greatly recently. I've never used a fat burner.

Aren't "edges" best utilized when you are at the top of your game and you want a bump up? Is it really an "edge" if you still have a ways to go before you reach your natural physical best?
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My takeaway from this is that raspberries are good food.