vegetarian Lovers

Options
Hey hey hello :flowerforyou:
Im posting this for all you vegies out ther :wink:
I got this fantastic vegetarian cook book at this book store a while back, and while most of the foods in it are way too silly for me to even consider making, it has a few good choices to choose from.
One of which is this cooked asparagus with guacamole sauce over top of it. Another is cucumber Sushi, made with small white rice, sushi wraps, soy sauce, and bits of cucumber in the middle.
Also the soy sauce is wonderful with slices of cucumber. Its a great sub for chips & salsa.

So those are a couple things you can do.
It's great to find a cook book based on what foods you have cut out cuz if your like me your hopeless when it comes to being creative with food.
Its been harder since i don't eat any breads, meats, sodas, & obviously never touch junk food anymore.
Fast foods are wasted on me, and i refuse to go out dinning because the temptation would be too great.

So let me know what foods you have sworn off and go find a book! it saves your life!

Byes! :smokin:

184018.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• Thinspired
    Options
    Hey hey hello :flowerforyou:
    Im posting this for all you vegies out ther :wink:
    I got this fantastic vegetarian cook book at this book store a while back, and while most of the foods in it are way too silly for me to even consider making, it has a few good choices to choose from.
    One of which is this cooked asparagus with guacamole sauce over top of it. Another is cucumber Sushi, made with small white rice, sushi wraps, soy sauce, and bits of cucumber in the middle.
    Also the soy sauce is wonderful with slices of cucumber. Its a great sub for chips & salsa.

So those are a couple things you can do.
    It's great to find a cook book based on what foods you have cut out cuz if your like me your hopeless when it comes to being creative with food.
    Its been harder since i don't eat any breads, meats, sodas, & obviously never touch junk food anymore.
    Fast foods are wasted on me, and i refuse to go out dinning because the temptation would be too great.

So let me know what foods you have sworn off and go find a book! it saves your life!

Byes! :smokin:

184018.png
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Whats the name of the book that you bought? Curious :happy:
  • Thinspired
    Options
    Its called delicious step by step Vegetarian Food
    simple lol i hadnt even looked at the name till you asked me.
    The comp. is called Confident Cooking also.
    What sorts of vegie foods do you like? :happy:

184018.png
  • sculley
    Options
    ALL :happy: except for brussel sprouts
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

Brussels sprouts? :sick: :noway:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I'm a cookbook junkie and a pescetarian for almost 6 years now, so I'll post a couple of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks here...

Moosewood Restaurant Cookbooks: any of these are absolutely awesome for vegetarians, pescetarians, and vegans. Simple midwest-pleasing-style foods with big flavor. Favorite recipes from this book would be the Enchilada Casserole, Asian Fish in a Packet, and North African Couscous Paella.

The Accidental Vegan: the very first vegetarian cookbook I bought, I learned a lot from this book. Favorite recipes from this book would be the Hot and Sour Soup, Stuffed Shells, and Greek Lasagna.

Quick & Easy Asian Vegetarian Recipes: a collection of pretty authentic Asian foods. I love the recipes, I just sometimes have a hard time finding these ingredients. Favorite recipes include: Healthy Rice and Soybeans, Bean Sprouts with Sesame Garlic Dressing, Curried Pumpkin, and Curried Potatoes in Coconut Milk.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I love brussel sprouts

steam em

sea salt em

roll em across a small puddle of balsamic vinegar

yum yum
  • sculley
    Options

I love brussel sprouts

steam em

sea salt em

yum yum

I dont know but the three times I have had them they must have been undercooked.... I hated them!
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    Vegan with a Vengence is one my teenager loves!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

I love brussel sprouts

steam em

sea salt em

yum yum

Different strokes for different folks I suppose :laugh:
    My mom used to always say they're just like little cabbages. Thing is, I love cabbage. Brussels sprouts make me gag... sooo bitter. Shame because they're really good for you, aren't they?

I'll just stick with my cabbage!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

I love brussel sprouts

steam em

sea salt em

yum yum

My mom used to always say they're just like little cabbages. Thing is, I love cabbage. Brussels sprouts make me gag... sooo bitter. Shame because they're really good for you, aren't they?

In heaven, bacon grows on trees. :love:

In the other place brussel sprouts do. :sick:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I love brussel sprouts

steam em

sea salt em

yum yum

HMMMM interesting
    I dont think I have ever had one that tasted bitter at all...I love cabbage also and can eat that raw...but steamed sprouts havent been bitter

hope it doesnt happen
    oh well
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I love brussel sprouts

steam em

sea salt em

yum yum

In heaven, bacon grows on trees. :love:

In the other place brussel sprouts do. :sick:

I agree with you! But get this - speaking of bacon - my husband and my brother-in-law both love brussel sprouts so my sister found this recipe where she fries the sprouts in bacon grease! They swear by it and I suppose it would make them taste better...but doesn't the bacon grease kind of defeat the purpose? :laugh:

In my book, all other veggies are great, though!
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options

I love brussel sprouts

steam em

sea salt em

yum yum

HMMMM interesting
    I dont think I have ever had one that tasted bitter at all...I love cabbage also and can eat that raw...but steamed sprouts havent been bitter

hope it doesnt happen
    oh well

its all in how they are cooked. if you dont use enough water,overcook them or cook them totally confined to a space they get bitter.it has something to do with the acid in the food, the same can happen to asparagus,cauliflower and cabbage
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I love brussel sprouts

steam em

sea salt em

yum yum

HMMMM interesting

hope it doesnt happen
    oh well

its all in how they are cooked. if you dont use enough water,overcook them or cook them totally confined to a space they get bitter.it has something to do with the acid in the food, the same can happen to asparagus,cauliflower and cabbage

so that means I am a good cook and didnt know it
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

I agree with you! But get this - speaking of bacon - my husband and my brother-in-law both love brussel sprouts so my sister found this recipe where she fries the sprouts in bacon grease! They swear by it and I suppose it would make them taste better...but doesn't the bacon grease kind of defeat the purpose? :laugh:

In my book, all other veggies are great, though!

HA! I'd suck the bacon grease off the sprouts then throw them away! :laugh:
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options

I love brussel sprouts

steam em

sea salt em

yum yum

HMMMM interesting

hope it doesnt happen
    oh well

good cook? i dont know about that... maybe just lucky:wink:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I love brussel sprouts

steam em

sea salt em

yum yum

HMMMM interesting

hope it doesnt happen
    oh well

good cook? i dont know about that... maybe just lucky:wink:

I choose good cook
    thank you:wink:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I got a recipe for Spaghetti Squash from the Biggest Loser30 Day Jump Start Book. It was simple and delicious. It would be even better with just a little butter and spices on it. :happy:
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of any of the Jeanne Lemlin cookbooks.

As for brussel sprouts, personally, I love them (as does my 8-year-old)! In one of the back issues of Martha Stewart Living (probably about 10 years ago now!) there was a recipe for oven roasted sprouts--delicious!

148602.png