Anyone out there take flax seeds?

Options
Just curious if anyone else takes flax seeds and if so, how do you incorporate them into your diet?
And do you prefer flax seeds, flax seed oil, or vitamin form?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I eat it in my oatmeal...
  • Blodnie
    Options
    I have taken flax seeds. I put them in hot cereals or sprinkle them on top of cold cereal. But I take flax seed oil now instead. An ER doctor told me flax seeds can pose a digestive problem sometimes and well.. clog things up in a major way, if you get me drift. The oil is just as good for you and doesn't cause any problems. It's also considered a deterent to breast cancer, which is in my family.. so it's important in my case.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ditto in the oatmeal.
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In the oatmeal.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I started trying to cut out a lot of unnecessary carbs. In doing so, I have found several recipes using flax seed meal instead of flour. They make great apple muffins! With the meal, it is in powder formula and it has a nutty flavor. You can use, like others, in oatmeal, but also in smoothies, shakes or in recipe form like the muffins.
  • Peacock2468
    Options
    I use a teaspoon of flaxseed oil in my morning and after workout shakes.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Freshly grind 1TB everyday and add to oatmeal, applesauce, or soup.
  • AngelEyes127
    Options
    Does it dramatically alter the taste? I've never tried it in oatmeal.
  • bethsmyser
    Options
    they only clog you up if you dont drink enough water when you take them i tried them they are good
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I try to add ground flax meal into anything that I bake, and try to add it anywhere else possible. It's good stuff and doesn't have a bad taste.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    "take" as in steal, not so much.

I use them as an egg replacer (ground), I'll eat them in oatmeal, and in breads, and smoothies...
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    In yoghurt with fruit and seeds x
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use to take flax seeds, but not I eat Chia seeds, it has more Omega's than flax, has 3X the antioxidants as blueberries, more calcium than milk, more iron than spinach and is a better protein source than beans or soy!! I put them in my oatmeal and my protein shakes, and you can sprinkle them on your spinach salad... and Chia seeds taste better.. well I can't taste them so that is good lol
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I like flax, but I've heard that unless sprouted, whole flax doesn't have the nutritive value we seek. It needs to be milled to get the full value. I use milled flax seeds in place of eggs and oil in whole wheat pancakes (you mix 1 TBSP flax plus 3 TBSP water for an egg and/or oil replacer). I also add a TBSP or so to a smoothie. I've eaten sprinkled on my oatmeal too.
  • sjhnny
    Options
    From my understanding your body cannot readily use them (or rather their nutrients) in their whole form. I usually use Flax Meal (ground flax seeds) in many of my recipes. The book "Peas and Thank You" is a great vegan cookbook and she incorporates them into many of her dishes. I also like to add chia, which unlike flax doesn't go rancid and can be easily assimilated in whole form (plus they have a gelling quality much like flax, so they add some melt-proof properties to my smoothies).
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I use them to make protein muffins. You need to grind them up before you use them though to get the most nutritional benefit of them. If you just eat the seed it will pass right through without digesting and you won't get the heart healthy oil from them. It is best to buy the seed and grind them yourself because most of the flax seed meal you buy is a byproduct of the mfg after pressing the seed to remove the oil.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I grind golden flax seed to last me a week and store it in the refrigerator. I love it in oatmeal.

In lieu of flaxseed, I use chia seeds. I like it in a summer drink I make, as well as in dishes where I might sprinkle poppy or sesame seeds.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I started trying to cut out a lot of unnecessary carbs. In doing so, I have found several recipes using flax seed meal instead of flour. They make great apple muffins! With the meal, it is in powder formula and it has a nutty flavor. You can use, like others, in oatmeal, but also in smoothies, shakes or in recipe form like the muffins.

Do you completely replace the flour? I tried out flax meal for the first time this weekend by replacing a portion of the flour with flax meal in waffles for my kid and it turned out great. She thankfully didn't notice any difference. Do you have to make any other changes to the recipes? i.e. add more liquid?

---

I am using flax seed every day and add them to my oatmeal with blueberries. Great nutritional value and full of healthy Omega-3.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I used to use Flax but now I have switched to this cereal, I put 1-2 tbs in my yogurt/cereal/oatmeal. it's awesome! not alone though...it's gross haha.

http://holycrap.ca/product/skinny-b-cereal/

It is chia seed with Omega fats and fiber
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I put 2 tsps in my oatmeal every morning. But I have a container that is mixed with flaxseed and wheat germ. I like the ground flaxseed