Kindle Fire or iPad?

Options
catshark209
catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
I want one but dunno which one to get.
I read alot and browse the internet a bit. No business use at all.
Opinions? Anyone have either and what do you think?

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    iPad! I want one soo badly, but they're too darn expensive.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have the kindle fire and I LOVE it, but I've also used the iPad and it's definitely better. The ONLY drawback is the iPad doesn't have flash and the kindle fire does. They're both awesome, but I'd choose the iPad if you're looking for the best tablet overall out there.
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love my Kindle Fire!!!!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm leaning toward the iPad too...thanks everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    iPad! Although, if I were you, I'd wait a little longer - the iPad 3 is supposed to be released soon (March?) and then if you still wanted the iPad 2, you could get it cheaper. I got an iPad 2 for Christmas and I absolutely LOVE IT! Granted, I've never had a Kindle Fire, but I had a Kindle Keyboard and I got a Kindle Touch for Christmas. I got the Kindle Touch as opposed to the Fire because the black and white e-ink screen is much easier to read, especially if you're going to read in sunlight at all. Plus, if you get the iPad, you can download the Kindle app for free and still read anything you would have been able to read on the Kindle Fire. I will say that I love Amazon and when I dropped my Kindle, they sent me a new one right away, no charge because it was covered by warranty and I got it before I even sent the old one back - and when my lighted cover didn't work, they sent me a new Kindle and a new cover to make sure that everything was working. So, I love their tech support, etc. but I can't comment on Apple because I've never had any issues with my iPad. I mostly use it to play games and browse the Internet, and honestly, I barely use my laptop anymore unless it's for school stuff. The only bad part is the iPad doesn't support flash player, but I've never missed it.

Again, I'd say go with the iPad because IMO the iPad + the Kindle app, plus everything else available to you in the app store (including a MyFitnessPal app :) - outweighs the Kindle Fire. You should also think about whether you would need 3G or if WiFi only is good for you. The Kindle Fire doesn't come with a 3G option.

Sorry to ramble, I just thought about this A LOT before I decided on iPad + Kindle Touch as opposed to Kindle Fire - and am very happy with my decision! :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    There's not really a comparison, the iPad is better in every respect...but then again you pay for that extra quality.

The Fire is great, and for the price you get a pretty awesome product, but if you have the money for an iPad go with that.

Waiting for the next gen iPad is a good idea too...but I hate waiting.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i have a kindle fire. the only drawbacks are no expandable memory, no front facing camera, and no microphone. so far, these have not hindered my enjoyment of the device.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I love my iPad. I'm a loyal apple customer though.. iPod, iPhone, iPad and MacBook pro and I don't have one ***** about any of them.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I have a Toshiba Thrive and love it. It has a USB port, card reader, and HDMI jack which the iPad is very much lacking.
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    We have iPads. You will find so many ways to use it that you wouldn't have even thought of yet! One of my kids discovered serious drawing ability with it. Another creates music. And you can download the Kindle app (plus there are a lot of websites with free, older books) and use the iPad like a Kindle. The screen is not as good as reading for outside (as a Kindle) but otherwise it totally rocks!
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I LOVE my iPad2. The cloud is awesome and I love the MFP app. Now, I only use my PC for video games. :smile:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you can wait a few months, the iPad3 will be out. At that time, the iPad2's will be much cheaper.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    You also might want to consider a more robust android based alternative, such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab or the Motorola Xoom. I have a Xoom, and I think its great.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have an Android tablet, an iPad2, and an iPod Touch.
    I always go to the iPad2. The Touch is too small. The Android's interface isn't as polished as the iPad.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    this is exactly what my dilemma is....kindle is way more affordable...ipad is soooo expensive. i dont need anything crazy or fancy i just want to be able to go online, watch hulu, netflix, email, etc.....i will give it another wk or so to decide. i'm not very techy so i almost feel like an ipad wud be over whelming and i wudnt get full use out of it.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I got a Motorola Xoom 10" tablet, better specs than the Ipad but $150 cheaper.. it runs droid instead of IOS, but for surfing its a good option maybe in the middle.
  • iPlugs
    iPlugs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love my Kindle Fire!
    The only reason I wouldn't spring for the iPad if I had the money, though, is that technology is so quickly evolving that I couldn't justify spending so much money on a luxury item that is so expensive and will probably be outdated before long.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    <<<Tech Geek....

Define your true want and expected growth of use...
    If its for web browsing and e-reading only, the Fire is a great option
    If you want a full function table, then go with either an iPAD or Android based unit. FYI...Apples announced a meeting for March 7, with high expectation being for the release information on the iPAD3. Hold off on your purchase until then...

You will here a lot of pros and cons from either nation of Apple or Windows users....IMO, basing it solely on the OS and overall tech support.....Don't go with an Android based system if you plan utilizing all of the useability of a tablet. Android OS have a life support of 2 years and then no longer; while Apple will continue push OS updates to all platforms.
  • kmbrleykay
    Options
    I love my Kindle fire. that said if I could have afforded it I would have bought an I-Pad with 3G. With Kindle fire to get on the internet you must always have wi-fi available. another thing is the Kindle fire does not have a camera. For me it was a matter of budget though. If you only want to browse around on the internet & download apps and you have wi-fi available the Kindle fire is a huge money saver.
  • MattysWoman
    Options
    Ipad2