How long to wait to eat after Cardio workout

Options
I do a morning cardio workout at 6:00/7:00 a.m. 5 days a week for at least a one hour period of time. Should I wait a certain amount of time before I eat breakfast after cardio workouts? Also what should I eat after a long workout? Are eggs ok? I figured they would be good because they are a protein. Let me know what you guys know or think!

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I do a morning cardio workout at 6:00/7:00 a.m. 5 days a week for at least a one hour period of time. Should I wait a certain amount of time before I eat breakfast after cardio workouts? Also what should I eat after a long workout? Are eggs ok? I figured they would be good because they are a protein. Let me know what you guys know or think!
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Good question.
    I eat about 30 minutes or so after I'm done workingout. That's only b/c I hop in the shower as soon as I'm done. I'm always STARVING by the end of my workouts.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Do you eat before the workout? If not do you feel light headed while working out? I'm truly curious. I would love to work out in the mornings but I don't have time. I have and hour and half commute to work :grumble:

Anyways, I personally don't see any reason to wait after a workout. In fact, I think I heard somewhere that you should eat within an hour of working out.

And eggs are definitely a great option! I eat a lot of hard boiled eggs. A source of protein is definitely important, especially if you are doing weight training too.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before the workouts, for some reason I cannot stomach food early in the morning
  • persian_dancer
    Options
    within an hour after your workout. I make it a rule to always eat at least something, even a snack because that keeps your metabolism going. :drinker:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before I do my cardio either. I've tried it and just want to, well, be sick. Sometimes I can handle half a banana before a run but that's all.

I always eat right after. Usually a fried egg and piece of whole grain bread toasted. It's quick & easy.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    When you have the time check out this article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KGB/is_1_5/ai_n6097710/

Another good one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-reames/pick-me-up-foods-for-qu_b_67326.html

They have great suggestions of what to eat pre and post work out and when. A long, long time ago, when I was training, I was told I needed a small snack of protein and carbs before (higher in carbs) and a snack of protein and carbs after (higher in protein) - ideally within half an hour to an an hour. Hence all the smoothie and shake bars right there in the gym.

There was a great book I read, and I cannot remember what it was, but it called that time the magic window and said that you could have a treat then, because it was less likely to be stored as fat. Don't know how accurate that is, but it was nice to have some thin crust personal pizza without guilt.:happy:

If what you are already doing is working, keep it up.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Eating within 15 minuets is best. The glycogen will go to your muscles and be stored there are energy for your next workout.