1200 Calories...how?

Options
Anyone out there on the 1200 calorie goal for the day? What are you eating? I am and I'm struggling to stay full and at 1200 cal. I'm all about the high-fiber / lots of veggies / fruits / lean protein options, but I wanted to get some new suggestions!

Feel free to peek at my diary, although I've been less than angelic the past few days!

Replies

• bobbin1
    Options
    I found that if I drank a protein shake every day it was easier to stick with my 1200 calories but I also had to exercise almost every day so I could get eat back calories.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I took a quick glance at your diary. We aren't perfect and all have those bad days. My diary isn't perfect either. Do you record your water consumption? I noticed that you were at zero glasses on a few days. I recommend drinking more water. It makes you less hungry, but also helps with joints and does other stuff (insert medical terminology here) when exercising. I was told that when exercising (before, during, and after) that water is to your body as oil is to a car. Hopefully that makes sense.

I love frozen grapes as an afternoon snack. You could freeze any fruit, but grapes are less messy.

I hope this helps!

-Nicole
  • oceanchristy
    Options
    I'm at 1200 cal's a day too... you can check out my diary if you need more ideas..
    It's hard.
  • oceanchristy
    Options
    more water , or tea maybe -

Cut the stew you eat in half and pair it with a green salad ?
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I exercise so I can eat more! :) I love food.

Try to plan your food for the day, maybe provide some insight into what works and doesn't.

If I eat a high-carb breakfast I get hungry soo fast. If I eat whole grains w/ eggs in the morning I last much longer sometimes w/ no morning snack, which leaves me more calories to eat later.

My breakfast usually makes or breaks my day.
  • mercadezporcha
    mercadezporcha Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    are you putting down your exercise thats how i get calories back, remember even walking is exercising add it all up x
  • dixieprincess79
    dixieprincess79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Add higher protein. Do high protein smoothies made using greek yogurt for your snacks. It helps! I have the 1300 something a day. My problem I have is taking in enough calories for the day. I end up 500 or more under each day. But yea the protein is what causes you to stay full through the day so make sure your protein intake is higher. Cut back on carbs also. If you do a salad top it with a high lean protein meat.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You can check out my diary if you want, but when I am in "lose" mode I dial back on the carbs. Simply cutting out bread at lunch and eating a big salad packed with veggies, cheese, chicken/tuna and good fats like avocado & olive oil based dressing keep me full so much longer than a sandwich. I work out alot, so when you look at my calories many days they are higher than 1200, but the day or two a week I don't, I can stay within my 1220 budget and feel full. Also, I noticed that you were eating chocolate daily, sometimes several times a day. While it is NEVER wrong to treat ourselves, if ate an apple with peanut butter, some cheese & almonds, etc which are the same calories, you would feel more satiated than with the chocolate.

To echo what others have said, water is key. I drink water all day, but I drink a large glass at least 20 minutes before I eat. a sign of Dehydration is hunger.

Good luck!
  • dcdickerson2
    dcdickerson2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Adding even a little exercise will give you a few hundred extra calories - 1300 to 1400 for the day. Walk, dance, go to the gym, do some housecleaning, or my favorite: hula hoop! I use a 3lb weighted hoop and within a very short time starting doing 30 to 40 minutes a day, watching TV, talking on the phone or listening to a book on tape.

Try 94% fat free pop corn for one of your snacks - filling and satisfies that munchie craving.

Experiment and find a fat free salad dressing you really like and start adding a vegie only salad to at least one meal a day. Lots of nutrition for very few calories, filling and tasty. I use mixed greens, fresh spinach, tomatoes, colored bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, artichoke hearts (water packed), jicama, celery, carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, etc in various combinations. For a meal, I add one or more of berries (blueberries, strawberries), orange (canned mandarin good too) apple pieces, and/or fat free feta cheese and/or small amount of protein such as baked chicken or shrimp, soy beans (edemame), chick peas (garbanzos) and/or a few slivered almonds or walnut pieces. Stay away from dried fruit - too many calories for the amount.

Good luck!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Ideally eat your biggest meal in the morning, and make it full of protein, avoid the sugars, they just set you up for wanting to snack. drink water, drink ice water, drink tea, drink coffee, I didn't see this in your diary but I'll say it anyways, do not drink your calories. (soda's, juices) Eat more fruits and vegetables and you'll be amazed at how much you can actually eat. I like to eat so I exercise every day to get those calories back. Even a 30 minute run will give you 200 extra calories, that's a whole salad!! Good luck :)
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings so I have more calories than the 1200 I was given. I'm on 1380 now + I add my exercise (approx 200 a day). This is the only way I can do this.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I tried & I was unsuccessful. A friend of mine has dropped 20 lbs in a couple of months by exercising & staying on 1,200 calories. I don't think she eats her calories back so I'm really not sure as to how she isn't hungry ALL the time!
  • Elizadolots
    Options
    Hiya

If you do some exercise, a few extra calories help! I have also found the last few days easier than usual, I think like with everything else, you learn to adapt!

Good luck!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there on the 1200 calorie goal for the day? What are you eating? I am and I'm struggling to stay full and at 1200 cal. I'm all about the high-fiber / lots of veggies / fruits / lean protein options, but I wanted to get some new suggestions!

Feel free to peek at my diary, although I've been less than angelic the past few days!

I am restricted to 1000 calories. I do it, so can you. Every time I want to eat, I think of all my clothes collecting dust or I go to a store and see all the awesome clothes that look horrible on overweight people. I am old, but I never want to dress like and old lady.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of snacks during the day. My breakfast is normally 150 or so calories, which keeps me full until lunch, which varies from 300-800 calories. Then I eat nuts, fruits, granola bars, etc. until dinner which is somewhere in the 500 range normally.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt goes a really long way towards keeping me full on relatively low calories.

My Taco Salads have always been very low calorie for the amount of food you get.

Tuna is your friend.
  • noiva
    noiva Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm at 1300. My diary is open if you'd like to take a look. I love bunless turkey burgers, pickles, lots of veggie bakes & sautes, etc. Drink a lot of water and make sure that you're eating when you're hungry. Sometimes when your body tells you its hungry, though, it's really just dehydrated. If it's not a meal time and I feel hungry, I first drink water. It helps.
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary if you want for the past few days and you'll see what I eat it's in and around 1200 each day. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
  • meramon
    meramon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am also on 1200 and actually have adjusted well over the last few weeks. I'm a big fan of grating carrots and cucumbers, then dressing lightly with some rice vinegar and worcestershire sauce. If you avoid the olive oil, you can really save yourself. Shredding the veggies makes them absorb a lot more flavour and they somehow seem sweeter. I am also a big fan of greek yogurt in the mornings. A few hemp hearts added makes you feel fuller longer and adds a bit of an energy kick. My favourite treat is a cup of tea in the afternoon with a bit of milk and a teeny bit of honey. I've built up a huge cupboard full of different flavours, which helps for variety. Good luck! It will start to feel natural soon, if you stick with it. :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Cut the simple carbs and focus on complex like whole wheat, brown rice, etc. You can eat a TON of veggies with very little calories. Cut down your sodium intake and increase your water. Pair protien and fiber together to keep you fuller longer.