Is rowing a good workout?

Options
I'm debating between getting a stationary bike or a rowing machine. Any opinions on which is better for weight loss or as a cardio workout?? I apprciate any advice & opinions!

Thanks!!

Lisa

Replies

• signsmith
    Options
    Lisa you should google this question to find all the reasons you should row instead of getting a stationary bike.. Many more muscles and more calories burned when rowing..

http://breakingmuscle.com/sports/josh-crosby-talks-benefits-indoor-rowing

Just remember it may cost more for a good rower, but try to get a wind resistance rower and not a friction type..

You won't regret it!!

Good luck!!

Randy
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    there is only 1 rower you shoud consider, a concept2. It has the biggest online community by far and is massively reliable.
  • signsmith
    Options
    And you can find some great used deals in the classifieds!!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Have you done either before? Which one did you prefer? Ultimatly what is best for you to buy is the one that you enjoy.

I know all the benefits of rowing. It's a great workout that uses your entire body. I HATE IT. With a passion. When I used to do PT I would ***** and moan when I had to be on it. I just flat out don't enjoy it (same with the stationary bike. Much prefer being on a moving one) So me buying one would be a complete waste of time.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Rowing and the concept2 rocks, use it at the gym every trip. It is the best overall workout you can get.
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love the rowing machine. I wish my gym had one.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    there is only 1 rower you shoud consider, a concept2. It has the biggest online community by far and is massively reliable.

True this. I am a former rower (on the water) and our training consisted of using concept 2 ergometers. I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION! I also love them. It's an interesting relationship.

I recommend setting up your erg in a room with a pretty view. I don't recommend a television, distraction is bad when you are learning the form. Be sure its a place that can stay cooled easily or get a big old fan. You will sweat buckets.

Your Concept 2 erg, if bought new, will come with a bottle of chain oil, an instructional video and if it's like mine, a spinner with different workouts.

Watch the video and learn how to properly use the machine. If you're not rowing right, you're wasting energy and could strain muscles.

You can do tabatas on a rower, you can build strength, you can do cardio, but you cannot get an easy work out.

Something about the way Concept 2s are built means they get harder, the harder you work. If you row slowly it has the effect of a boat coming to an almost stop, so the next pull is like a brick wall. If you row fast to make that next pull easier, your lungs start screaming. It's an amazing torture device.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Rowing uses both the legs and the upper body, but may be more difficult if you have back problems. The stationary bike will be better if you just want low intensity exercise while reading, watching TV, etc. Key is,on which one would you spend more time?
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I can't answer about the rowing machine, but I love my stationary bike. I do 40 mins a day....I play loud music and go to it.
  • WarriorWomanMaxine
    WarriorWomanMaxine Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would say rowing machine i love mine i just put the tv on a music channel and in no time i have done 30 mins :smile:
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Concept2 Rower (pls remember to store the handle by the flywheel and not pulled out in the temporary sprints/intervals storage spot) is a great option, but as a former member of a crew team, I would rather punch myself in the stomach a few hours a day then get back on an erg.

Instead of a stationary bike, I'd go with a SPIN bike.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Great question. I think you should find out what you would like the best. The stationary bike will give you a better cardio where the rowing machine will let you use more muscles. I think they both have pro's and con's.

Having said that, make sure you do strength exercises on top of what ever you do that is where you will get bang for your buck.

You may also want to buy a real bike (cross or road) and put it on a trainer. That way you can use it indoor when the weather is crummy - and outside when the weather is nice.

Neither one of these pieces of equipment are inexpensive so keep researching until you find what you want. You may also want to look at cragslist - or there is a store called play-it-again sport where you can get used equipment.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I vote for Rower, for sure.

I have a Concept 2 Model 2. If you get a rower, regardless of brand, I encourage you to utilize the community, workouts, challenges and training videos on their website. www.concept2.com Being a part of a community will help you get your meters in :-)

It may be hard to get your heart rate up on a stationary bike, unless it is a spin bike.

Rowing is more of an all over workout, but form is very important, so take the time to learn it at the beginning. Don't learn by watching anyone at the gym, since 99% of people who pop on one for 5 minutes do it wrong.

There are many community rowing clubs that have these Concept2 "erg" machines and they also sometimes have group workouts that you can sign up for, which makes it a bit more fun/social. These rowing clubs would also be a good resource to look for a used erg. Check craig's list, too.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Rowing is a great workout and a wonderful hobby. Good luck in your choice. Once you get comfortable with the machine of your choice, I would suggest getting out into nature. There are great cycling clubs and amateur rowing clubs to get you going on the roads and waterways that are all around!
  • zeikiya989
    Options
    That's my machine of choice at the gym, I think its a great full body workout. I feel really good after doing it. And of course its a great calorie burner. I can burn about 1000 calories per hour, but i am 310.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    FYI... don't be scared off by the love/hate relationship posted by some sweep rowers/crew folks. I also rowed on the water competitively (master's community rowing club) and we all seem to have shared memories of gut wrenching, extremely anaerobic speed drills on the ergs that our coaches pushed us for in preparation for races.

Normal workouts on the erg can be enjoyable, aerobic and the rhythm can be meditative, even with hard work effort and intervals thrown in. :smile:
  • kman27
    Options
    What Lozze said and other people touched on...

The best exercise is the one you are willing to do!!! I cannot stress this point enough!

People can say that rowing or biking is the better exercise but if you end up hating the motion, the machine, etc then you aren't going to do it. I love the concept 2 rowing machine. It's not cheap but is less expensive than many other pieces of cardio equipment. Also, the basic design hasn't changed in forever so it's rock solid from a durability and maintenance standpoint.