RE: METABOLISM

Options
Hi ,

I can use some help on how to get the metabolism working faster ? Would love your opinions.

Have a good day

Jeannie

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at a calorie deficit, your metabolism is going to down-regulate. No way around that.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Moving, even fidgeting will increase your metabolism, as well as building muscle mass..
  • snakesandladders2
    snakesandladders2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good question, and one that is often ignored by calorie-counting dieters!

There are different strategies for increasing your metbolism:

- Make sure you never go hungry for longer than 3 hours. After 3 hours, have a snack containing some protein, such as nuts, low-fat yoghurt, turkey slices, peanut butter (not too much!)

- Do circuit training incorporating whole-body exercises 3x 20 minutes a week - this will maximise the "afterburn effect", meaning that your metabolism works at a higher rate for 48 hours after your workout. This burns way more energy than you could ever hope to achieve by jogging on a treadmill at the gym.

- LIFT WEIGHTS, eat protein and build muscle (probably the most important one, as the more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism)

- By all means have hefty calorie deficit, but don't eat below your BMR

- Incorporate 1 "spike" day a week where you eat double your normal allotted calories. Preferably using healthy stuff like protein, wholegrains, good oils

- Eat plenty of good oils: olive oil, oily fish, linseed (flaxseed if you're American), avocados, almonds. Aim to have a small portion of good oil with each serving of protein as it helps your body absorb it. Paradoxically, eating more good oils will help your body burn the "bad" (=body) fat.

- Don't use your calories up on junk food like processed food, sweets and chocolate, deep-fried stuff, white carbs. Use all your calories on foods which power your metabolism rather than your waistline!

Hope this helps!
  • rumsuck8
    rumsuck8 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Although I am not a fan of Dr. Oz, he had some speed up your metabloism tips on his website recently which I have been using. One was to drink a full ice cold glass of water first thing in the morning, as your stomach has been inactive all night and it will work harder to "warm" the cold water in your belly......... The second one I am using isn't really metabloism, but I have started adding fiber to my diet. Dr Oz said to take a fiber suppliment ( i use metamucil no grit, no taste, dissolves easily) about an hour before your last meal of the day. This will help you feel fuller throughout the night and of course the added benefit of going to the bathroom first thing in the morning. I have increased my fiber to 3 times a day and it is really very helpful. good luck
  • savdbygrac
    Options
    I like this fiber idea. While I'm not interested in drinking it, I can make higher fiber choices. Thanks for the fiber reminder, my metabolism seems to be MIA at the moment!
  • rumsuck8
    rumsuck8 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just add a teaspoon to a cup of tea or coffee and I never NEVER taste it......BONUS!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I eat 30-40 g of fiber a day from natural foods and this seems to help me. Regular exercise is the main way to increase metabolism. I just had a discussion with my doctor about metabolic syndrome and he said regular *cardio* exercise is the way of combating it.
  • StrugglingtoMove
    StrugglingtoMove Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Drinking ice water burns more calories cuz ur body has to heat it up. The best way to speed it up is exercise!
  • emalon1
    Options
    B12 vitamin supplement and lots of very cold water