How to lose more weight when you are already comfortable?

Options
So I'm not new at all to this weight loss game. I've lost 40lbs, but over the course of 2 years. I'm 5'1'', started at 180lbs, I'm down to 140lbs. I've gone down to 129lbs, went to Europe, etc, gained 11lbs back and I've pretty much maintained the 140lbs for about a year now.

Now... while I am 5'1'', I have an hourglass shape thus I have large hips and what not so my build is not small and being on the heavier side of the weight for range for my height looks fine on me. HOWEVER, 140lbs is still too much. I would like to at the very least get to 125lbs, that's 15lbs to lose.

What I'm having a really hard time with is actually sticking to my diet enough for me to lose those 15lbs. I love going to the gym so I workout anywhere from 4-6 times a week with heavy weights and cardio. However, with my diet, I eat healthy for the most part, but for the past couple months I've had a pattern of eating very well for one or two days and then bad and way over my calories for one day. And so on goes the pattern.

I've tried to figure out why I'm sabotaging myself like this... it's not like I don't know I can do this, because I CAN! I have! I do feel great, confident and comfortable with my body right now though. I am pretty strong, I'm healthy, etc. So... I don't know what to do to motivate myself more in regards to my diet.

Is there anyone else here dealing with this at all?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am so with you. When I took a quiz on WW it said I was 'not really trying' in a complacent mode.
  • Wisemomoffour
    Wisemomoffour Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You've described my life. I lose to where I feel thin and then I gain to where I feel pretty good and then I dream of the weight I felt thin....ugh!!! Maybe you should just take a mental break from trying to LOSE weight for 30 days, see how you feel and then make a decision one way or another. Good luck!
  • CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no advice here but I'm right there riding this thing out with you!
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've actually tried the mental break thing. It works in which I pretty much eat healthy because that's really how I am, ended up just maintaining though..

At least I'm glad I'm not the only one like this out there!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Maybe not true in this situation, but when certain foods are deemed 'good' or 'bad' and eaten or avoided based on this idea.. things lime what you're experience happen. Just a thought.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I do too..... I don't know how to break the cycle!!!!!!!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Sort of, but it's harder for you ladies.
    I feel very good at this weight, but I don't like what I see in the mirror.
    I know I could do better.

So, I keep that in mind as I work toward peak fitness, focusing on my goals instead of every little temptation the comes down the pike.
  • kareninmich
    Options
    Part of your weight is no doubt due to your muscle development, so good for you. (E.g., you work out a lot, so you have well-developed muscles, and muscle weighs more than fat.) Maybe your failure is because your 'diet' days aren't built around foods you actually like, and therefore you're not feeling satisfied. Search for lo-cal versions of your fave foods and make sure you really like what you're eating. Then all days can be diet days.

Another possibility is your view of food, how you relate to it. My main focus used to be food. For example, looking forward to my next meal, anticipating it. I had to find other things in my life to focus on instead, to look forward to, to be excited about, and shift my focus away from food.

Hope this helps.
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I definitely know how you feel. I go in spurts where I just don't seem to have the motivation and energy to eat right, but I just push forward. I've come to terms with the fact that eating poorly for a few days isn't going to de-rail me. It's when it starts to be bad choices for days and days and days and weeks...

Anyways, try to eat in moderation. If you want some cake or chips or whatever, then workout at the gym to "earn it"

I want to wish you luck!!! And I think you're pretty lucky that you can just take a mental break for a month or so and be able to maintain...I think that maintenance is just as hard as losing, so if you can do that, you can definitely lose the next 15lbs!!!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    This is my issue. I know exactly what to do to reach my goal but I sabotage myself when I get close.

Unfortunately for me I have to be incredibly strict. People always say it's a lifestyle not a diet. I understand being healthy overall but I HAVE to cut things out of my "diet" or healthy eating regimen to move the scale. I'm at a healthy BMI ranging from 127-131 lbs fluctuating at 5' 3". My goal is 124 w/ a range of 120-124lbs. I JUST WANT TO SEE THAT # and keep it right there at maintenance.

All the advice in the world it's all about what you eat (clean/cut carbs/increase protein/processed foods/eating out/drink water). It's really how far will you go and sacrifice to lose those last lbs.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This is just an idea since I'm not someone who have studied nutrition or fitness.

Have you tried doing a complete change in your workouts and diet? Kind of breaking the plateau? Finding out different alternatives to workouts, new ways, new machines. About diet, basically the same thing. Also, as you lose weight and you get in better shape your heart and body gets stronger, so the "fat burning zone" might be different from before, therefore calculating the new zone would be a great idea. Sometimes it seems illogic that a slower pace burns more fat than going faster, but faster could mean that oxygen would be the primary energy source instead of fat.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The OP's feelings so resonate with me. I have been losing weight verrrrry sloooowly for several years -- 75 pounds (averaging 1-3 pounds a month). I have finally reached a weight I last saw before I had children (approximately 30 years ago). I feel and look really good. I have 10 to15 pounds to reach the high end of "normal". I am happy with my food and exercise choices and opportunities, but sense there may be some obstacles ahead. I feel like I need to do a mental/emotional look-ahead on my fitness plan (sort of like I have to get my core into position to lift weights) to foresee and forestall as many obstacles as I can in advance. OP, I'm not sure how to go about to position myself mentally, but if I think of something I'll post it.
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate all your answers!

I think that for the next seven days I will just try listening to my body queues. I know very well what's healthy and what's not, as well as the amount of calories most foods have so... I will just eat my regular foods and listen to when my body is satisfied.. Maybe that will work. We'll see!