Splenda

Options
2»

Replies

• Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry, I was trying to respond to that quote. I'm still new to this site.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I prefer truvia. Although, I will admit, it leaves a bit of a "bitter" taste in your mouth. I don't really use the packets, to be honest. I prefer my hot tea/iced tea plain - and I use light vanilla soy milk in my coffee. A lot of people use it to bake, but honestly... if I'm making brownies... I'm going to make an effing brownie, and not try to make it "healthy."
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You can check this website http://www.thefitshack.com/2008/04/29/14-reasons-not-to-use-splenda-ddt-in-disguise/
    as well as many others available if you search it. Again, as I said before, if it works for you, go for it, personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff

I don't use artificial sweeteners at all, but I don't like the false info. Your source website is terrible. The woman is a certified master NLP Practitioner. Having never heard of that, I did a quick google search to find out that I too could be a certified master practitioner for a mere $997.

We need to do better if we want people to believe that whole, real foods are the way to go. Scare tactics will only work on the feeble minded.
  • TheNewLeslie
    TheNewLeslie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been using Splenda in my tea for a couple of years now and I really like it. I don't get an aftertaste and I have cut way back on cavities because I don't consume as much sugar. Now I use it to sweeten the Fage Total 0 - along with a little fruit for breakfast.

Long ago, I used stevia drops - before it was available anywhere other than health food stores - it was an extract in alcohol. Tasted like "bleck". (Bleck is the face/sound I would make when I tasted it - I know it's not a real word).

Recently, I tried Truvia and it gave me the same "bleck" taste as before. Also - if you want to "go there" with the "which is worse", Truvia is a Monsanto product. And everyone knows they are the devil (not entirely serious!).

I think the whole argument is a matter of personal taste. Of course we should not eat as many sweeteners - natural or artificial - but there are probably bigger fish to fry in our diets than this. I personally think cutting back on one thing at a time is the way to go.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    dextrose turns into fermeldahide (or however you spell it) when it gets in your system. if you need to use sweeteners use either Truvia or Stevia

What does dextrose have to do with anything? Splenda is sucralose.

While not the best since it is a created chemical compound and not a more natural source, I still find it superior to straight up sucrose (table sugar) for those that want to avoid white sugar and are trying to loose weight. When I get to where I want to be I'll use more natural sweetners (sparingly) like honey and maple syrup. Just about anything is superior to actual sugar, which might as well be considered on par with other addictive drugs (don't outlaw it, people should always have a choice).

Thank you for clearing up re dextrose, it's the pure form of glucose and not relevant re Splenda.

Personally, I use sugar, maple syrup, and honey. No artificial sweeteners. Which means I eat less sweet stuff and crave less sweet stuff.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I FLIPPING LOVE SPLENDA
  • CapsFan17
    Options
    I use stevia or splenda, the other things like aspertame triger my migranes, so I love splenda. I get organic stevia at Trader Joes, it comes in a bottle like a spice bottle with a little scoop in it, one scoop is more then enough for my coffee and the bottle lasts a long time. IMO try what ever you think will work the best for you. It needs to be an easy swap or its harder to stick with a change. Good Luck hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious how many individuals that so staunchly object to Splenda use protein powders... since most of those are sweetened with some form of artificial sweetener?

Also found in many cough syrups...
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious how many individuals that so staunchly object to Splenda use protein powders... since most of those are sweetened with some form of artificial sweetener?

Also found in many cough syrups...

I don't use any of those. I'm a bit neurotic about what I consume nowadays.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I detest Splenda. Then again, I dislike all artificial sweeteners. When you muck with the chemistry of biomolecules (as in sugars) you never know what OTHER problems it can cause. Splenda is sucrose modified with chlorine. Doesn't sound too healthy to me!
    I really don't like to use sugar or corn syrup either! I'm an avid supporter of natural sweeteners.

Sweeteners I use: ground stevia leaves, agave nectar, honey
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I also don't use protein powders.
  • thatchickbrit
    Options
    i have gotten used to the taste of stevia in my coffee and i love it.
  • virgomuse
    virgomuse Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I hate (HATE) all artifical sweeteners. They do alot of damage to your body and MAKE YOU FAT! You are not doing yourself any favors by cheating in this manner. (Sad to say) The use of fake sugars/sweeteners should be banned like hazardous waste. If you need something sweet, go for REAL Sugar that has been naturally grown and simply manufactured for consumption. (organic raw sugar) Or learn to live w/ out it. There are plenty of foods containing natural and very sweet sugars to enjoy. Like bananas and sweet peppers and just about every berry out there. Get off the fake sweeteners train NOW! Be the conductor for your body and give it real food for real fuel! :O)