Body Fat % for Women

Options
Since my weight has fluctuated, and I got tired of watching the scale bounce all over, I started relying on BF%age to tell me if I was heading in the right direction with my fitness. I've been running and spinning, but have also added in circuit training w/weights, and can tell I've also gotten stronger (can do more push ups, longer planks, more squats, etc.)

I've had my BF%age measured by a trainer using calipers — I don't know the name of the method he uses, but he's been measuring my quad, tricep, and illiac crest (on side, just above hipbone). I have gone steadily down over 9 months' time, and am currently at 13-15% BF. (I'm 41, and about 5' 5", 135 lbs. I eat anywhere from 1,800 cals/day to 2,400 depending on my workouts and my hunger.)

So my question is -- when I look at calculators online, it sounds like 15% BF for a woman my age is TOO low. I'm happy where I am, and am enjoying getting stronger w/the weights. So do you go by how you FEEL / perform instead?

And is it fact or fiction that you need to eat more often at a lower BF%age b/c you don't have a lot of "stored fuel"??

Anybody who's better at physiology than I am -- thanks for your advice in advance!