Food scale

Options
I am looking into getting a scale so that I can log my dinner more accurately. Anyone out there have a scale that they recommend?
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have the biggest loser scale 19.99 from Bed Bath and Beyond. It is awesome, and you can use the "tear" button to add another ingrediant, etc. Best purchase. I use it all the time. Have had it 3 years and only needed a new battery once so far!
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My wife and I use the OXO Softworks Food Scale. About $30 and available at Target. Couple of nice features is that it it let's you measure in pounds/ounces or grams so if you've got something that only gives grams on the ingredient label, you're not having to pull out the calculator to do conversions. The other really nice feature is that the display actually pulls away from the base if you need it to. That way, if you put a large plate or bowl on the scale, you don't have to try to "read under" it to see the measurement. Also has a tare feature as well that lets you zero out what's already on the scale to avoid having to do measurements of containers and food separately ... also allows you to add ingredients/components/food for individual measurements as opposed to cumulative measurements if you are trying to figure out each component separately.
  • jwatson7
    jwatson7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Scales are a great tool for calorie counting and for making recipes more accurate. Here are my top issues for choosing food scales:

* Digital
    Make sure the digits are large and clear.

* Flat top
    So you can use your own pans or bowls for maximum flexibility. I wouldn't get one with an included jug or bowl.

* Must be able to display grams.

* Precision to 1 g

* Maximum weight
    Most go to 3 kg (6.6 lb). Some go to 5 kg (11 lb). The extra capacity isn't essential, but it's useful.

* Tare (add and weight) function.
    Essential. Most have this now.

* Batteries.
    Check that you're happy with the battery type it provides. Some have AA or AAA batteries. Some have button batteries. These are all fine but you need to be able to replace them at short notice from a local shop. Your personal devil will make them run out just when you need them most.

The biggest loser scale suggested by mhanson looks good (although it's limited to 3 kg). The OXO one suggested by foxbat looks good too and it goes to 5 kg (although it's a bit more money). I think $20 to $30 is a fair budget. I've seen other people on MFP say they got a good one from Amazon.

Let us know what you get.
  • jwatson7
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great tips!
  • jwatson7
    Options
    I finally got around to ordering my kitchen scale. I ordered it from amazon. I went with the EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale. It got great reviews. Can't wait to get it and try it out.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Here's another trick most digital scales can do:
    Negative weighing: If you need 15 grams of something from a jar, put the jar on the scales and spoon it out till the scales read -15 grams.

Let us know how you get on.
  • jwatson7
    Options
    Love the scale. It is simple and easy to use. It only has two buttons. The tare button and the unit button. It is super easy to switch between units of measure. It runs on AAA batteries which I always have on hand. It is small and doesn't take up too much space. Its great!
  • Molly757
    Molly757 Posts: 1
    Options
    until it rea:wink: ds 15 fewer
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser food scale, got it at Walmart