Questions from a busy mom - any advice, help very appreciate

Options
Hey everyone. I am in desperate need of a workout that I can get in in as little as 10 - 15 minutes. Is there such a thing? I have 4 children 2 of which are under 2 (20 months, and 7 weeks). I have very little time. I start working out when I get a little time and a few minutes in someone starts crying or needing something LOL! If I do about 10 minutes of something, 2 - 3 times a day will this have the same affect as working out for 20 - 30 minutes straight?

Replies

• Aeilm
    Aeilm Posts: 92
    Options
    Hey everyone. I am in desperate need of a workout that I can get in in as little as 10 - 15 minutes. Is there such a thing? I have 4 children 2 of which are under 2 (20 months, and 7 weeks). I have very little time. I start working out when I get a little time and a few minutes in someone starts crying or needing something LOL! If I do about 10 minutes of something, 2 - 3 times a day will this have the same affect as working out for 20 - 30 minutes straight?
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

i have a dvd--women's health total workout in 10. got it on amazon.
    there are 4 sections each 10 min: cardio, lower body, upper, balance/flexibility
    you can mix it up any way you want. for ex, sometimes i just do the cardio 2x.

congratulations on all your achievements so far! you have your hands full with your little ones--enjoy enjoy enjoy them. :heart:
    also, there is a sah(m)(d) thread in case you want to join in for support. great group.
    keep going--you're doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i know that tony horton has a 10 minute total body work out... i don't have it, but i saw an infomercial for it last night haha. i've heard his DVD's work though!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If I do about 10 minutes of something, 2 - 3 times a day will this have the same affect as working out for 20 - 30 minutes straight?

From what I've read recently, Yes.
    Get in any exercise you can, when ever you can.
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    I've seen "10 minute solutions" dvds online, I think at Amazon?

Also, a lot of the circuit training videos let you pick and choose what you want to do, allowing you to choose your own amt. of time.

Maybe a baby and mommy (or toddler and mommy) dvd would help out, too? One of my friends has a Parenting one for yoga and it too is broken up into segments.

You can also just buy a jump rope and pick that up for some cardio whenever you get 10 minutes here or there. Go forwards, backwards, bring your knees up high, kick your butt and twist your midsection to vary it up a little bit.

HTH!!!
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    First of all, I'm impressed with you as a mom. Four kids and two are still small? You have the patience of a saint, I'm sure.

Beachbody does have the 10-Minute Trainer series with Tony Horton (as erussell mentioned below). You get really five 10-minute workouts with it (Total Body, Lower Body, Yoga Flex, Cardio, and Abs). I haven't used them myself yet, but I've seen some folks who have, and their results are the real deal. I'm doing P90X right now, and believe me, Tony can pack a lot of workout into a short time span.

At the end of the day, anything you can squeeze into your day is a good thing, especially with all those kiddos. Best of luck to you..!
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    I have a 1.5 year old and I just play with her. She loves to be lifted above my head which is good strength training, she like to sit in her diaper boxes and be pulled around, I dance around with her, run in place holding her or she runs next to me (so cute btw :laugh:) , we do jumping jacks together and so on....as long as you are moving and your heart rate is up you are doing good.

Keep up the good work :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    i know that tony horton has a 10 minute total body work out... i don't have it, but i saw an infomercial for it last night haha. i've heard his DVD's work though!

Yes, they do! And that is exactly what I was going to recommend.

I'm a busy mom of 3 kiddos too, I understand! I found that getting up early in the morning is the best time for me to work out!
  • Aeilm
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I am definatly investing in these 10 minute workout dvd's. I am so excited about them!

jessmomof3 - I have to work out in the morning or else it seems like it just doesn't happen.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction! :flowerforyou:
  • Aeilm
    Options
    First of all, I'm impressed with you as a mom. Four kids and two are still small? You have the patience of a saint, I'm sure.

Beachbody does have the 10-Minute Trainer series with Tony Horton (as erussell mentioned below). You get really five 10-minute workouts with it (Total Body, Lower Body, Yoga Flex, Cardio, and Abs). I haven't used them myself yet, but I've seen some folks who have, and their results are the real deal. I'm doing P90X right now, and believe me, Tony can pack a lot of workout into a short time span.

At the end of the day, anything you can squeeze into your day is a good thing, especially with all those kiddos. Best of luck to you..!

I just wanted to say Thank You! :bigsmile:
  • ronkswife2000
    Options
    Gotta love being a mom!!! I have 3 kids so I totally understand what you're going through... not sure if you have ondemand??? If so you can go to the exercise tab and they have tons of exercises and they change every 2 weeks I think. They have a 10 min. workout section and a miniworkout section also of exercises that are 2-3 min. Hope this helps, congrats on your weight loss, that's fabulous!!!! :happy:
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I completely understand you I have 4 kids and my two youngest are 22 months and 5 months. But I just started the program last week and work outs are really hard for me to fit in as well because like you I get a second and someone is crying. Then I also have a full time job out side of the house where I sit down all day.

So I started doing the 10 minute work outs that are on ON DEMAND. I don't know if you have comcast cable but they have a fitness section that is great for all types of exercise. I usually only do the 10 min work outs several times a day. And I log them on this site as 10 min work outs. But saturday I got out for the first time in years and actually jogged while my husband played with the kids on the swings I felt like I was giong to die but I was proud of myself.

So do what you can when you can and it will show. Also take it easy you just had a baby

181673.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    I just wanted to say Thank You! :bigsmile:
    You're absolutely welcome. Being a parent is a tough job on the best days, and you're doing serious duty with four kids. I thought two at home was tough..!

If you're ready to try 10-Minute Trainer, you can head to my website below and pick them up, and they'll assign me as your coach. Just click on the green "Shop for Products" link near the top-center of the page. I would be honored to work with you and help you reach your fitness goals (busy parents can always use encouragement). Have a great night.
  • applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm a busy mom of 3, so I know what you mean by needing a quick workout. I use the "Walk Away The Pounds" videos by Leslie Sansone. Most of them are divided by miles, ranging from 10-15 minutes per mile. You can start it wherever you want and go for however long you want..5 minutes here, 10 minutes there. The fun thing is that my kiddos have started getting use to me doing these videos every day and have now started doing jumping jacks or marching around the house with me. Family fun! :D hee hee.. Hope this helps and keep up the awesome job! :D