What CAN I eat?!

Options
So, I've been on MFP for a month, exercise daily, always stay at 1200 net calories, and I've only lost 2 lbs. I attributed my lack of weight loss to always going over my sugars so I went to Trader Joe's and bought only quality healthy foods this week.

So far today I've had coffee with splenda and a little powdered creamer and smoothie made of frozen fruit, spinach, and carrot juice. I'm already -4 on my sugars for the day! How is this possible? What the heck am I allowed to eat and not go over sugars?

Ugh! Frustrated!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat sugars if it comes from thing like dairy, fruit, etc. I just watch out for added sugars. Unless you give us more info (height, weight, activity level) or open up your food diary (make it public), we can't really give you any advice. I am 5'7", started MFP at 175, am moderately active and 1200 calories was way too little for me. Again, with more info from you, we can help!
  • GAHelfand
    Options
    I focus on the number of calories I eat and sort of disregard the rest. I have SUCH a sweet tooth and rely on my sugary (low fat) snacks. If i deny my body of any cravings I have, I set myself up to fail.

If I spike on a weekend and have a cupcake it's not the end of the world. Denying your body isn't fair to you or it :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fruit=sugar. If you want to eat fruit, ignore your sugar intake. If you're serious about cutting sugar, then you have to limit fruit.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are not loosing weight because of the sugars. You probably are not eating enough and possible not drinking enough water. There are alot of threads on here about people in the same boat. Search through the forum and see what you can learn from people posting about it.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I don't count fructose--sugar from fruit. Fruit has many health benefits (fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, etc). If you're worried about sugar, maybe just watch your processed sugar?

I don't eat any processed sugar; I eat 3-4 servings of fruit a day; I eat 1500ish calories a day, and I'm losing 2.5 lbs a week. Don't let people scare you about natural foods, like fruit. This is only a problem if you are diabetic.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    The one time I went into a Trader Joe's I got the impression that it was just upgraded junk food and upscale packaged food. What kinds of snacks are you eating from there?
  • noramc8
    Options
    From TJ's I'm eating carrots, hummus, roasted seaweed, almond butter, dark chocolate (in moderation), greek yogurt, and light string cheese for snacks.

I can't afford Whole Foods :-)