I'm having a hard time with side dishes. :(

Options
littleworm23
littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
We have 3 kids (2 of whom are picky eaters) and are trying to eat healthier as a family. We have been doing a lot of chicken, pork and ground turkey but when it comes to side dishes I feel lost. I'm pretty sure that everyone (my hubby included) is getting tired of steamed or raw veggies. Our "normal" side dishes use to include potatoes, pastas, breads... you get the idea.

So what kind of things are you guys making as healthier side dishes?

Replies

• hisbluediamond
    Options
    try adding different seasonings to them... you can use the spray butter and mrs dash and grill them or bake them since they are picky eaters as these are the same veggies they like just cooked in different ways.
  • raylenebrooks
    raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Mashed caluliflower is my favorite
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    check out skinnytaste.com some great sides.

enjoy
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You can still have 4 oz baked Potatoes or 1/2 cup mashed, 1/2 cup of rice, 1 cup of pasta, it's about portion control not deprivation. You'll never stick to it otherwise. Make them fit into your day.
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have started making one dish meals....I found a few good ones on readyseteat.com
    kids love them, i love they are consuming HEALTHIER calories, and they are getting full!!!
    But it is portion control....
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    roasted veggies in the oven are always good. I throw garlic, olive oil, and freshly grated parm on my broccoli and roast until browned on the edges. Delish.

Same can be done to carrots... eggplant... etc (nix the parm).
  • fortydaysrain
    fortydaysrain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband is just like having a child. He doesn't like vegetables that aren't out of a can. There is one thing I make that he loves. I dice up some carrots and sweet potatoes, add brown sugar splenda blend, and spray butter. Then I just bake it in a small casserole dish till they are tender. He loves it. Goes great with pork and chicken.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Have you tried risotto? I too struggle with side dishes. I feel like I just alternate between some form of potato or rice. Some websites that I like to check out are www.budgetbytes.blogspot.com and foodgawker.com (food p0rn)
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I guess I don't do just veggies, I usually have a meat, quinoa or rice and then veggies also. But I like the different ideas on things to do with them. Thanks again. :)
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Mashed caluliflower is my favorite

i agree! its great and when its seasoned up, it's pretty similar to mashed potatoes!
  • vfragano
    Options
    I sometimes make a salad with chick peas, green pepper, onions and dress it with a little olive oil and rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper...delish and everybody at home loves it. Lowfat, high in fiber and have antioxidants too. Enjoy :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We have 3 kids (2 of whom are picky eaters) and are trying to eat healthier as a family. We have been doing a lot of chicken, pork and ground turkey but when it comes to side dishes I feel lost. I'm pretty sure that everyone (my hubby included) is getting tired of steamed or raw veggies. Our "normal" side dishes use to include potatoes, pastas, breads... you get the idea.

So what kind of things are you guys making as healthier side dishes?

I get sick of steamed and raw veggies pretty quick too. I prefer stir fried, roasted or sauteed in olive oil for just about any veggies. Or serve the steamed veg topped with a little reduced fat cheese, and the raw veg with hummus or peanut butter. Instead of potatoes, try other root vegetables like parsnips, turnips or rutabaga. Switch to whole grain pasta (Barilla Plus is my fave), or try brown rice, bulgar, barley, quinoa or spaghetti squash instead.

Try homemade soups or stews. Make lasagna using thin strips of eggplant or squash instead of noodles.
  • lvplts
    Options
    I use a glaze over all vegetables in the winter as they don't taste as good.

For example, I will cook onions, add frozen green beans, with a little water, put a lid on the pot. Steam the green beans for 5 min. When they are cooked, I add the glaze and mix it up to give it a really nice taste.

Glaze for 1 serving. 1/4 c orange juice(cold is best) 1 tsp corn starch. Mix well to make sure that the corn starch is diluted . Pour over veggies, mix wekk and letsauce thicken. You can add a few drops of wine vinegar, or soy sauce to change the tast.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Baked potato
    Baked sweet potato
    Roasted broccoli with garlic
    carrots and onions
    yellow squash and onions
    corn on cob
    black eyed peas
    lima beans
    grilled green beans
    brown rice
    healthy mac n cheese
    mashed potatoes (add cauliflower to hide it from the picky ones)
    mashed sweet potatoes (add butternut squash to hide it from the picky ones)
    fruit salad
    sweet peas
  • bbrahma
    Options
    I think quinoa is great for a side dish...it is straight protein but it feels like a grain or carb.
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try baking brown rice in broth. It's GOOD!
  • awoodwaring
    awoodwaring Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I cut 2 pieces of bacon up and stir fry brussel sprouts in the bacon and grease. It actually isn't bad calorie wise and it is one of our favorite dishes. I'll do that with asparagus, as well. Here is a similar recipe with a caloric listing (I don't add the chicken broth to mine):
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/brussels-sprouts-bacon-50400000116749/

We eat salads and occasionally I will put crunchy things, like croutons or fried onions, on the table for people to add. We also like the yogurt dressings which are very savory without the calories; we get blue cheese and ranch and poppy seed.

Love sweet potatoes and I guess I have never bought into the white potato=bad theory. I cannot eat bananas so, I love potatoes for their potassium. I also cook brown rice and quinoa and sprinkle with season salt.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like brown rice and salsa, great taste!!!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    roasted veggies in the oven are always good. I throw garlic, olive oil, and freshly grated parm on my broccoli and roast until browned on the edges. Delish.

Same can be done to carrots... eggplant... etc (nix the parm).

Mmm. Yes. Roasted carrots are great as is roasted cauliflower and asparagus. I like cumin with the carrots and a little fresh lemon juice with the asparagus. You can buy the bags of frozen stirfry veg and saute them up with whatever seasoning you like...teriyaki sauce is good, so is lemon pepper or light Italian dressing. (Toss the warm veggies with the dressing off the heat.)

Fruit salad can be nice for dinner too. Sauteed apples or applesauce from the jar are great with pork. Or you can make something like fajitas that doesn't really need a side...everything is already there!

If you are having something spicy for dinner you might consider a cucumber salad with a yogurt dressing. Or a lowfat carrot pineapple salad. We like fruit salsas with chicken, and if you are broiling salmon you can broil frozen corn until it is glossy and sweet. We also like polenta, whole wheat pastas, and quinoa for a change of pace from rice.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have started making one dish meals....I found a few good ones on readyseteat.com
    kids love them, i love they are consuming HEALTHIER calories, and they are getting full!!!
    But it is portion control....

That's what we do now too- we call them Family Bowls. It's much easier on me too because there's less pots and pans to clean. The variety of flavors is so different too.

One thing to try if you do want side dishes still is to try slicing the veggies differently- carrot chips instead of sticks, or zuccini fries rather than round slices. Or have a big tray of veggies in the middle and let the kids make their own kabobs with toothpicks or chopsticks. Dipping sauces can go from simple (katsup) to elaborate (homemade salsa).