I never realized how much I did this

Options
nikii14
nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
Out of all of the things I have changed since starting this. From my eating habits, to exercise, to drinking more water....

I think one of the HARDEST things Ive had to change is picking from my sons food!!

C'mon....all you moms out there know what Im talking about. Your son/daughter doesn't finish their last 2 pieces of their grilled cheese. How hard is that to pass up?? They leave some fries on their plate from going out to dinner, even though you just had a nice healthy dinner.

It kills me...not because I have to throw it out, but I never realized how much of his food I ate. ALOT!!!!!

Why is that????

I honestly think I've cut back on a TON of calories just from that:tongue:

Replies

• nikii14
    Options
    Out of all of the things I have changed since starting this. From my eating habits, to exercise, to drinking more water....

I think one of the HARDEST things Ive had to change is picking from my sons food!!

C'mon....all you moms out there know what Im talking about. Your son/daughter doesn't finish their last 2 pieces of their grilled cheese. How hard is that to pass up?? They leave some fries on their plate from going out to dinner, even though you just had a nice healthy dinner.

It kills me...not because I have to throw it out, but I never realized how much of his food I ate. ALOT!!!!!

Why is that????

I honestly think I've cut back on a TON of calories just from that:tongue:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I make the kids, they are 9 & 10, clean off their plate, I know what you mean, mmmmmmm pb&j, grilled cheese, I do make them healthier for them now, but oh my! what a teaser!
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! I'm guilty of this big time! My weakness is when I'm pouring the kids' cereal in the morning. I snake a handful while I'm pouring, snatch a bit from their bowls pre-milk, and dive in the box for one last handful before I put the box back in the pantry. Bad! :blushing:

I've been much better with gobbling up their leftovers by just taking their plates immediately after they are done and ditching the remains in the garbage before my will-power gives out!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My rule is to NEVER finish my kids food. They eat until they are full and then they scrape their leftovers in the trash and put their dishes in the dishwasher. (although mine are 10, 8, & 5) Plus I make them healthier choices. But even the healthy calories can add up fast. :huh:

My motto is... better to let it to go to WASTE than go to WAIST. :wink:
  • nikii14
    Options
    [/quote]

That is GREAT!!!

I do have a 15 y/o as well. The good thing about him is that he doesn't leave a SINGLE DROP of food on his plate. So I only have to have the willpower for one kid!!

What an animal:laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

That is GREAT!!!

I do have a 15 y/o as well. The good thing about him is that he doesn't leave a SINGLE DROP of food on his plate. So I only have to have the willpower for one kid!!

Just think about it. Make yourself measure each bite if you do eat it. 1 tablespoon of mac & cheese, is that really worth it?? Funny about the 15yo!! :laugh: I have all girls and they are not huge eaters yet...
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

That is GREAT!!!

[/quote]

haha, ain't that the truth!, never a leftover to be had!, I was looking forward to some leftover chicken for lunch today, turns out my son had the same idea about an hour after dinner! :grumble:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Never have that problem here.....my son is 17....enough said......:laugh:
  • Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    My problem is taking food before putting down their plates, then I put more on their plates...ugh. My youngest still has to have her food broken into peices...that's the hardest part! I can get away with my hubby making and serving plates at dinner time, but breakfast and lunch, I'm on my own! We make our kids finish everything on their plates (except the 2 and 1 year old of course), so I never have to worry about eating left-overs. Even when my 2 and 1 year old don't eat everything, I still don't want it because a lot of times it's all wet from drool, or other times they like to chew it up, and pull it out of their mouths! Yuck! :sick:
  • nikii14
    Options
    My problem is taking food before putting down their plates, then I put more on their plates...ugh. My youngest still has to have her food broken into peices...that's the hardest part! I can get away with my hubby making and serving plates at dinner time, but breakfast and lunch, I'm on my own! We make our kids finish everything on their plates (except the 2 and 1 year old of course), so I never have to worry about eating left-overs. Even when my 2 and 1 year old don't eat everything, I still don't want it because a lot of times it's all wet from drool, or other times they like to chew it up, and pull it out of their mouths! Yuck! :sick:

Very True!!

While making my son his grilled cheese, I would eat at least 2 pieces of cheese before I even put it on his sandwich. Then, if he doesn't finish it, I would, of course eat it. HOW MANY CALORIES IS THAT???? UGH

I also used to eat while cooking dinner. I stopped that too. :noway:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    This is a tough thing we all fight with, and not just moms.

"Waste not want not",,, "There are starving children in India you know",,, "No dessert unless you finish,,,". We all grew up with this stuff and it's poison.

Years ago I was having lunch out with a friend who was a health nut. I was almost done with my sandwich, and I remarked "I've had enough, but I'll finish this anyway". And she said "Why?".

"Well I don't know, to not be wasteful. I did pay for it,,,". And she logically said "Can you get a refund for the part you didn't eat?",,, well ummmmm "No". "Then the money's gone, and you can't get it back, and the food is here, and you don't want to eat it. So don't &%*in' eat it",,,

Brilliant woman.

So now, to save food, I am very careful with what I plate, serve kids, order, etc. Once it's on the plate it's gone, whether it's eaten or not. I do my best to choose intelligently not to eat it.

I also have a Basset hound, and he helps. :bigsmile:
  • Baigle2003
    Options
    Ugh I do that too! Kid food is always way better than the diet stuff I'm eating! :ohwell:
  • stahlight
    stahlight Posts: 119
    Options
    @CasperO: You're right. I have a fitness book that has a quote I live by now:

"Clean your plate into the trash, not into your stomach."

I don't even have kids, but eating out, I'll eat everyone's extra food. To a point where friends just give me what they don't want 'cus I'll eat it...
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    And to add insult to injury, what do kids request the most? Grilled cheese, burgers, or mac-n-cheese. Every one is a gut-buster for us adult types.