Excellent Motivation Idea. A MUST read!

Options
So I came up with this idea, I don't know if someone has done this before or not. Hopefully people will actually like it and participate, totally up to all of you.

All of us here are in this website for the same reason, just different goals, which is reaching a fitness level. When I used to be part of the BeachBody team, there were gatherings of people to workout together in different cities no matter your level of fitness. Everybody would have fun, workout, motivate each other and socialize.

So, why not to take advantage of the Groups option, designate one for specific cities and once a month or so, plan a gathering in a park, or somewhere out doors, to go meet, bring friends, your significant other or family members who want to participate, and enjoy a day doing physical activities?

For this to work there first thing is to be organize. Here are some points I'm thinking that should be taken into consideration:

- Avoid making 10 groups of the same city. Someone can reply to this thread volunteering to open the Group. This means whoever wants to participate or open a group should browse thru all the comments to avoid duplicated groups.

- To differentiate our groups from the others that are not related to this idea, they should be named with the name of the city and let's say Gathering i.e. Miami Gathering, Boston Gathering, British Columbia Gathering, etc.

- Trying to use main cities would be a good idea. It wouldn't make sense to make two groups for cities that are 20 minutes apart if we want to make the groups big enough.

- Activities could vary from group to group depending on the city, location, weather conditions, etc. Summer time can be fun but activities will be different from winter time, and so on. Bicycle, rollerblading, running, walking, hiking, workout, games. Any of those can be done and enjoy a wonderful day in company of those who have a common interest.

- Workouts. VERY Important. If your group decides to put together a set of exercises to do as a group, always make sure you're capable of doing what you can and avoid what you can't. This includes medical conditions that might limit yourself to perform certain activities, physical limitations, etc. Just because you can't keep up with others it doesn't mean you are not doing enough. We all are at different levels, but we WILL support each other and not let anyone down. At the end, the whole idea is to have fun and get motivation.

- In regards to the previous point, you and only you are responsible for what you decide to participate on. You can't blame anyone if you fall, hurt yourself, etc. Remember, it is your own decision and you must always be smart about what you do.

- Unless someone is certified, licensed or physical proof that the person has legit knowledge of personal training, nutrition, etc, DO NOT try to push or tell anyone what to do or not to do against their own will or decisions. We all are adults, and we should all be able to help, give opinions, suggestions with respect. We can't feel or experience what others are going thru, so don't try to make out of this experience a boot camp or an unpleasant experience.

- Always remember that the main idea is to engage in physical activities. Therefore, going to a gathering to sit around, talk and distract others is not what we are looking for with this project.

- Bring water, healthy snacks, comfortable clothes, etc. In other words, be prepared. If your group is planning on going hiking to a place where you know there will be bugs, bring mosquito repellent or any other product you might want to use. If you're going to a place where you know you might get sunburn, bring your own sunblock. It is always a good idea to plan ahead of time, which is the great thing about groups, because since the location will be posted ahead of time, people can remind each other about what would be good to bring with you.

- Also, planning ahead of time is always the best. If the idea is to go for a bike ride, your group needs to be aware of it for different reasons. There might be users who don't have a bicycle or can't ride one. There are others who can't walk for long distances, etc. So be aware of this, and try to avoid sub-groups all the time. Just because one day a part of the group decides to go hiking and another part goes to workout at a park, it doesn't mean that the next gathering it shouldn't be something where the whole group gets together. Creating sub-groups frequently will defeat the idea of becoming one big group.

- Invite friends. Make the experience as pleasant and big as possible. Some people are afraid of starting changing their lives because they think they'll be along without support. Groups like this will change that mindset because everybody is focus in the same thing.

- ALWAYS be conscious about the places you go and don't litter. The whole idea is to keep this going and get banned from places because of littering, damaging nature or public property. So, always pick up after yourself. If you see someone doing something wrong, call it to their attention. There shouldn't be one person in charge of this, everybody is responsible.

- Share your experiences in the Group and Forums. There will be some users who might be intimidated with the idea of meeting with strangers and how will the experience be. Sharing photos, experiences, etc will open the door to them and make them feel welcomed.

- Please, be serious and don't play games. Being late, canceling or not showing up is something that will destroy any groups right away. It would be awful to see 20 people will get together, showing up at the location and only 2 people making it. It is important that unless there is an emergency not to cancel. Everyone is counting on everyone to be there and support each other. That's why the planning ahead of time so you know that day will be dedicated to that activity.

- Any issues should be discussed as a group to avoid any personal confrontation or being taken the wrong way. Be civil, be respectful, be mature and behave like adults.

So I think this is it for now. I if anyone wants to be part of it, or add anymore points to this, please, feel free to post your comments.

Replies

• YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    And remember, the more you comment, even if is a bump, this thread will stay visible for others to see. Of course, I'd love to see people participating with more than a "bump" though :)
  • simoriah_angel
    Options
    They had something like this on Sparkpeople.com for NJ. I believe they did events in different areas of the state (NJ is a small enough state to get away with a meetup group like that). I am surprised they already don't have a group like this.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    I'm even more surprised no one finds this a great idea. I would be totally up for it if people decide to do one in Miami.

I know about certain events/races that go from state, like obstacle races, but that's for people who are fit already. This would be so much fun and made for everybody.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Fail! :bigsmile:
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    :huh: is it me or I can't seem to find the "Edit" option in the threads anymore?
  • richelle67
    Options
    I think it is a great idea! In fact, I seen on here a few weeks ago, a group of MFP friends who got together and were hiking in the mountains. I thought it was a fantastic idea, and wished there was a group around my area. I have told many ppl about this sight that I know, hoping to get some on here with me, so I could get together with them once a month or so to do activites. So I say it is a great!! I am in Minnesota, St. Cloud area, if anyone is interested!!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Ok, the edit option is back, for some reason is not present in any of my previous posts. At the same time I'm happy the thread came back to recently post.

Richelle, that's great to know some MFP friends are getting together, so I'm guessing this could definitely be a great idea.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    Yass you're in Miami? I'm down (:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Anybody who might be in the area of Wright State University can go on a walk with me in the tunnels! I think it would be great!
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Yass you're in Miami? I'm down (:

Great! In fact, I'm going to make a Miami Gathering group. I'll look around who else is form Miami and start planning things to do based on the possibilities and resources each of us have. Whoever wants to go ahead and do the groups for your cities, feel free to do so and get people to join. If there is a place for descriptions or maybe poste a "Rules" thread (as an admin you can lock it and edit it) to post the things I mentioned here, go ahead and do it. The same way if you think anything else should be added, share it with the rest of us :smile: Yey!
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    Next weekend, I'm going paintballing (; Want me to keep you informed?
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Pittsburgh Pa area lots of bike and walking trails .
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Denver, Colorado is already doing this under the group title Mile High Fitness Pals.
  • todaysanewday
    Options
    Love this idea. Anyone interested in going for long walks who lives near Great Neck, NY?
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love this idea. I'm moving to Rapid City in August, so hopefully there will be a group there then.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Also, if anyone creates a group and want to share the link here, do it! Not only will save time for users to find it, but in case anyone is visiting another state or city where there's a group and want to meet, it will be easier to join the group and take it from there :smile:
  • YassSpartan
    Options
  • ladyplaz
    ladyplaz Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I joined a group in Mesa AZ and never heard from them again. So, if anyone else would like to go out and play before the heat visits the Valley.... :flowerforyou:
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Yeah, staying active in the groups is key to keep it alive :)
    I guess tomorrow I'm posting more comments here to keep the thread alive too and more people can see it.