Please read if you eat under 500 calories some days

Options
2»

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    @MrDude I would say that this isn't very good for the brain. I know that our bodies are pretty good are storing glucose into glycogen and then we are able to access those stores, but the brain does something funky with glucose consumption.

I would have to do some more research to fully answer both of your questions because I am not sure. These are my answers based on my current knowledge, but they MAY be wrong.

www.scholar.google.com Many published articles are free to read. You may need a separate tab open in wikipedia to look up vocabulary words from time to time (I know I do!)

you're close. What if I were to tell you it didnt effect the brain at all?
    The liver stores enough for roughly 36 hours of fasting. beyond that your body begins to break down muscle to refuel its glycogen stores, and your metabolism begins to have the first signs of changing. In otherwords you would have to do it until the livers glycogen stores are reduced to the point where there wasn't enough to support the brain, and have a physiology that didnt support catabolism fast enough to maintain brain function.
    Now catabolism is a BAD thing to me, and this isnt a support of it.. but I find it interesting how hard our body works to support and protect the brain.

If you're really interested in the subject, a good intro book is here: http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/Eat Stop Eat.pdf
    Its a fairly broad look at the subject of intermittent fasting, but if you want to read into it further, theres sources and links in there.. plus you can google any specific topic mentioned in there.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Your brain can convert protein into glucose to feed your brain. Or if you are eating a ketogenic diet, your brain can be fueled 75% by ketones coming from fat storage, and 25% coming from protein. Don't worry, your brain won't stop functioning.

Is 500 calories a good diet? NO, but it won't kill you if you have an abundance of fat.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    by the way, I do want to re-iterate that sustained 500 calorie days is NOT good for you at all, and will lead to several medical issues... just in case anyone thinks im arguing that point. lol.
    notice in my example, the guys are averaging 2250 calories a day.. a perfectly normal amount.
  • fitnoflab
    Options
    Great post!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    @MrDude I would say that this isn't very good for the brain. I know that our bodies are pretty good are storing glucose into glycogen and then we are able to access those stores, but the brain does something funky with glucose consumption.

I would have to do some more research to fully answer both of your questions because I am not sure. These are my answers based on my current knowledge, but they MAY be wrong.

www.scholar.google.com Many published articles are free to read. You may need a separate tab open in wikipedia to look up vocabulary words from time to time (I know I do!)

you're close. What if I were to tell you it didnt effect the brain at all?
    The liver stores enough for roughly 36 hours of fasting. beyond that your body begins to break down muscle to refuel its glycogen stores, and your metabolism begins to have the first signs of changing. In otherwords you would have to do it until the livers glycogen stores are reduced to the point where there wasn't enough to support the brain, and have a physiology that didnt support catabolism fast enough to maintain brain function.
    Now catabolism is a BAD thing to me, and this isnt a support of it.. but I find it interesting how hard our body works to support and protect the brain.

If you're really interested in the subject, a good intro book is here: http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/Eat Stop Eat.pdf
    Its a fairly broad look at the subject of intermittent fasting, but if you want to read into it further, theres sources and links in there.. plus you can google any specific topic mentioned in there.

Yeah, as I said I don't really have a full understanding of how and where the body stores food. I know the general overview from my studies in biology, systems physiology and biochemisty. I have never taken a digestional chemistry course. The main point of the original post was to deter people from habitually depriving their body of the calories needed to power their brain. I just hate that people starve themselves and I wanted to show people in a new light why eating a bare minimum number of calories was so important.

Thank you for the information, and I may look into it. Although I am not really interested in intermittent fasting.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Winner winner chicken dinner!
  • MrDude_1
    Options

Yeah, as I said I don't really have a full understanding of how and where the body stores food. I know the general overview from my studies in biology, systems physiology and biochemisty. I have never taken a digestional chemistry course. The main point of the original post was to deter people from habitually depriving their body of the calories needed to power their brain. I just hate that people starve themselves and I wanted to show people in a new light why eating a bare minimum number of calories was so important.

Thank you for the information, and I may look into it. Although I am not really interested in intermittent fasting.

yea, as a diet protocol intermittent fasting is not going to work for everyone... However for a better understanding of how the body works its quite interesting. (atleast to me)
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Wow, this really interesting. Thank you for this post.
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Interesting. thanks for the info.