Not feeling the burn in my tummy

Options
I had a baby in September and had an emergency C-Section. I also have a 3 year old too so I've had two children and have lost the baby weight so far. I'm now also working out with pilates and yoga and running or walking as my exercises. When I am doing the exercises it does not feel like my stomach is even being tightened or even working the way I think it should. As much as I squeeze my muscles it doesn't feel like I'm even doing any work.

Will the muscles even get back to normal at some point or will I always feel like they aren't contracting. I'm confused

Replies

• natabugg
    Options
    I had a baby in September and had an emergency C-Section. I also have a 3 year old too so I've had two children and have lost the baby weight so far. I'm now also working out with pilates and yoga and running or walking as my exercises. When I am doing the exercises it does not feel like my stomach is even being tightened or even working the way I think it should. As much as I squeeze my muscles it doesn't feel like I'm even doing any work.

Will the muscles even get back to normal at some point or will I always feel like they aren't contracting. I'm confused
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    My friend had a C-sec, for almost a year she said the skin and muscles didn't "feel right", perhaps the nerves take a long time to repair and that is why it feels like it does?
  • AndreaMMil
    Options
    I've had 2 C-sections (2 and 4 years ago). I still don't have feeling at the site of the incision. But, the good news is I figured out that certain isometrics are starting to tighten my belly and I can feel that burn: I stand at the base of some stairs, put both my hands on the 2nd step up, elbows bent at 90 degrees so my nose is a few inches from the step, and hold my body perfectly straight. Kinda like a pushup. I hold that for 60 seconds at a time. It definitely tightens muscles you forgot you had!
  • natabugg
    Options
    I'll try that, it's just feels like I'm not working my abs at all. I hope that works for me too!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I've not had a C-section (or even a baby for that matter)

But, I used to think that pilates "wasn't working" me hard enough. I invested in a few private sessions with a trainer, and holy-moley! I discovered brand new places to feel it working. The exercises are very easy (especially if you're me :wink: ) to not do to maximum benefit.

Now I have much more body awareness when I do the exercises.
  • blaqmagic
    Options
    Your absolutely correct...i had two C-sections as well in 1994 and 2004..and with the first one it seemed like i was numb in the incision area for years! with my second C-section it didnt take quite as long to heal...i have feeling again...but it certainly freaked me out..

one exercise i learned in the gym with a personal trainer for abs...(it involves two people)...i lie flat on my back..my partner stands over my head..I grab hold of his/her ankles...i lift my legs up towards my partner toward my head..he pushes my legs back down but i cant let my legs touch the floor..that tightens EVERY muscle in your stomach..u will feel the burn and tighten...
    I've had 2 C-sections (2 and 4 years ago). I still don't have feeling at the site of the incision. But, the good news is I figured out that certain isometrics are starting to tighten my belly and I can feel that burn: I stand at the base of some stairs, put both my hands on the 2nd step up, elbows bent at 90 degrees so my nose is a few inches from the step, and hold my body perfectly straight. Kinda like a pushup. I hold that for 60 seconds at a time. It definitely tightens muscles you forgot you had!