I am at a stand still and the weight is creeping back

Options
So I joined the weight loss journey last January and did great. At one point I had almost dropped 50lbs. My start weight was 223 and I was down to about 171. Well now I am back to about 182-185 give or take the day and what I have eatin. I just cannot seem to get back on track and eat healthy and workout consistantly. I did so great last year and wondering what happened. LOL. I know I can do this as I have done it before just not sure what my problem is. Any pointers or suggestions?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but I'm kind of in the same place. I started doing the 30DS hoping to jump start my weight loss again, but all that happened is I injured myself and now can't work out at all. Which makes it really difficult for me to hit my calorie targets each day. So I gained 3 lbs. last week (OK, also because I went on a trip and ate WAYYYYYY too much). I'm trying to get back on track, but without being able to workout, I'm finding is SO difficult.

If you find some motivation, please share!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the same amount of calories that you did then? If so, you need to recalculate for your current weight.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I am in the same place. I am slowly gaining back and dont know how to stop. I do workout everyday, but I cant stop snacking.
    I know that is my problem, but cant stop.
    I keep saying I did it before I can do it again, but then I have a cookie and another, until the batch is gone.
    I am trying to input all my foods in the morning so I only eat what is logged and dont go over. I also talk myself into my work out before I get out of bed in the morning. One good day will turn into another.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Something must be eating at you. Figure it out and get back on track before you reach 200 lbs. After all your hard work and self discipline I know you can do it.

Just do it.
  • beanie1119
    beanie1119 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am eating more than I should, what my issue has been is finding that motivation to be strict about my diet. I just haven't cared lately and I know that is bad. I need to do something and get focused.
  • 987Runner
    Options
    I know a lot of people can't run, but I find that if I sign up for a road race, I'm motivated to get fit for it. I know I will be in a lot of pain if I don't get fit before the race. I'm not sure what else might help? Everyone is different. I wish you luck to find that motivation!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals ahead and stick to the plan. Looks like your logging lately has been sparse.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. :(
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am eating more than I should, what my issue has been is finding that motivation to be strict about my diet. I just haven't cared lately and I know that is bad. I need to do something and get focused.
    Look at the scale going back up. That should be all the motivation you need. Don't ruin all of your hard work now!
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    Money motivates me. If I pay for gym membership (as cheap as I can), I'm sure to work out. If I sign up for a 5k and pay the $25-$30, I'm going to run. Maybe there's something you could spend a 'little' money on that would drive you to continue exercising. It's just a thought and I hope it helps. You're doing good just find a motivational someone or something and 'hang on for the ride'.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I started this journey on in Feb 2010, lost 50 lbs by Feb 2011 and have kept it off since then. However now I am really struggling with myself and find I am allowing some of my old habits (e.g. eating too much junk food, not working out enough) to creep back in to my life. I haven't gained any weight on the scale but my clothes are tighter so I certainly have gained back some fat and lost some muscle tone.

One thing I can say for sure is that losing weight is the easy part, it's keeping it off long-term that's hard. Very hard. You'd think that after 2 years the lifestyle changes I've made would be a slam-dunk, but they are not. I've not missed one single day of logging food & exercise since I started MFP, even the crazy days, and that's part of what keeps me hanging on.

This week I recommitted to a healthy life and am planning on being successful - no "maybes" or "I'll try", I'm just doing it!

Good luck to you all!
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Log ALL food: If you bite it, write it! That sure helps me.
  • yvoennsche
    yvoennsche Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself to something pretty to wear that you couldn't wear before (preferably something that doesn't expand to much) and tell picture yourself in that shirt, or pants that you would wear if you lose even more weight. Then throw out the junk food, get some easy to fix low calorie meals, get a new work out dress and just do it.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I need to do something and get focused.

Figure out why first. If you treat the symptoms, the cause will still be there and then you'll have to deal with it all over again. For me, I had to stop caring what others thought and do it just for me. In the end, I refused to be stuck and found my inner drive. Once you figure out what you're doing it for and why, everything will fall in to place naturally.

Best of luck!
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same boat.
    I lost over 20 pounds, going from 147.5 to 126 and was only three pounds away from my ultimate goal weight.
    Then I went on our family vacation the first week of August. And then went on another vacation at the end of August. Both of those, I allowed myself to eat whatever and a few pounds found their way back on. Since then...I have gained back a lot.
    I thought during my weight loss that I was being very clever getting rid of all my bigger clothes as I replaced them with smaller sizes. Now that has backfired and I have had to purchase some new pants so that I have something to wear.
    It has been like an addict trying to stay away from drugs. Each morning I would wake up determined to eat right, not snack on junk and get in a workout. And then I would derail and eat everything in sight.
    Finally last week something clicked and I feel like I am really back on track. This morning I was back down to 139. Still 13 pounds up from where I was this summer.
    I am trying not to be angry with myself anymore and just determined to get back to that place where I felt good about my body and the effort I was putting in.
    ((Hugs)). We can do this!!
  • Michelle650
    Options
    I know how you feel!! I joined MFP on March 9th 2011 with such great intentions and weighed 175.4lbs! My goal is to be 140lbs! Through mfp, I was able to get down to 158lbs last summer, however once summer was over and I returned to school (My final year with my exams) my exercise stopped and the weight began to not creep, but leap back on!! Last Sunday I jumped on the scales and found I was 173.8lbs!! I was devistated!!

What really motivated me was the fact that I got a HRM!! This gave me a new love for exercise!!

Good Luck and remember when it was you first joined mfp!!
  • beanie1119
    Options
    Thanks for the Post everyone. I have officially found my Motivation again. She was hiding but I got her back now. I have been doing well this last week and making sure I log my food in as much as possible. I have managed to lose 2.6 pounds this week. I need to start working out again and that will help a ton plus I have the Avon walk to train for and that is a 39.3 mile walk over two days so I need to get my butt in gear.
  • beanie1119
    Options
    Yeah I always look back at where I was when I joined and I weighed about 215-216 and got down to 172. I felt great and wanted to lose another 25 but never made it there and the weight creeped on me over the last several months and I was back to 186.8 :(
    But now I am back on track and I am going to get to my goal weight of 155-160. Hope things are going well for you :)
  • cindikhendrickson
    Options
    Up your protein intake and cut out the sugars and grains!
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You need to get your head back in the game. A good friend of mine says that maintaining a healthy lifestyle (note: this is NOT a "diet") is 85% mental and 15% physical. She's right. Take the time to figure out what motivated you last time. Hopefully you have before and after pictures. Put them on your fridge. Heard a guy on the radio this morning saying that not succeeding is not failing - it is learning how to succeed next time. You've just had another learning experience. Use it wisely!!