Protein Powder in Smoothie?

Options
So I make smoothies often and got curious about shakes. So I bought some body fortress protein powder in chocolate peanut butter. It's not as bad as the Jillian michaels protein powder I had but it's not really good on it's own with milk. So I was wondering if it'd be okay in a smoothie?

Generally I get most of my protein from my food as I've upped my chicken intake. Normally I wouldn't get enough protein daily and crave a huge steak or burger now and then. Anyway. I really just plan on doing the protein in my smoothie after or before a muscle intensive workout like toning class or something.

Have you guys tried adding powder to smoothies? Usually I use yogurt as the protein but I wanted to have another option if I want to up it a bit for intense work outs

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Use the protein powder any way you want. Add it to pancake batter if you want. It is very versatile.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I've just started taking protein powder. I got the unflavoured because I don't like all the extra unpronouncable ingredients in the others but it tastes like crap. I find it spoils my smoothie. I just take mine with a third of a cup of milk and guzzle it and then chase it will my yummy smoothie.

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i take it like cough medicine, add a little water and down the hatch, the tastier you try to make it, the worse it is for you, which is a good rule . . . . . the better it tastes the worse it is, case in point, muscle milk, delicious, but read the calories on it..........
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I haven't made a smoothie without protein powder in over a year! I typically use protein powder, skim milk, and non-fat, plain greek yogurt with whatever fruit I want (frozen or fresh) and sometimes even some egg whites or ground flax if I'm really feeling daring :-p
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Protein powder in smoothies, in milk, water.... had a scoop of vanilla in my oatmeal just this morning. I use 5 scoops in a pumpkin muffin recipe. And I may have it as a dessert tonight (1/2 cup or 3/4 cup low fat vanilla yogurt, 1 scoop of cookies & cream powder, chop up 3 dark chocolate hershey's kisses, mix all together). YUM!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I've just started taking protein powder. I got the unflavoured because I don't like all the extra unpronouncable ingredients in the others but it tastes like crap. I find it spoils my smoothie. I just take mine with a third of a cup of milk and guzzle it and then chase it will my yummy smoothie.

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

that's a good idea!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I always add it to my post workout smoothie.
  • mlawilm
    mlawilm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make a fat blaster shake with plant based protein powder. I saw it on Dr. Oz. It really helps. I make it as my breakfast. I t has the powder, sugar free juice, frozen fruit, flax seed, chia seeds and flaxseed oil. It really fills you up for 4-5 hours.
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump for more ideas....
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Protein powder + frozen banana + ice cubes + jello sugar free cheesecake mix = heaven. Lots of variations too if you want less carbs (aka no banana), you can use greek yogurt or cottage cheese instead, etc.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a dairy sensitivity so I just bought some hemp protein powder and added it to my green smoothie. However, using the entire serving size overwhelmed the awesome fruit flavors so I think tomorrow I'm going to try 1/2...