Homemade Chilli.......How many OZ is a serving???

Options
Hello!

I am making chilli and calculating how many servings I have here in total.

But I need some help. :) What I need to know is how many ounces a serving of chilli should be. Google is pointless. I've read 6oz and 8oz. What do you all think?

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. :D

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It can be whatever you want it to be. If you really want to get particular you're going to need to measure the volume of your recipe once it's prepared. Then you will need to decide how many people you want it to serve. How hungry they are and what else is being served along with it. Also, how many times do you eat per day? Obviously if you eat 1x per day your serving will likely be larger than if you eat 6x per day. All things to think about.

Any food in any reasonable quantities can be added to your diet. There is no set amount.
  • Camsdette
    Camsdette Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I usually just divide up the recipes that I enter into how many things it makes (like a dozen cookies would be 12 servings) or how many people it feeds. If it's your own recipe, you can kind of make up your own serving size. As long as it's a reasonable amount of calories, I'm sure it doesn't matter.
  • she_the
    she_the Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I figure out how many servings are there based on how much I'm content eating.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    usually for soups/chilis i use 1 cup as a serving so that its easy to remember when i eat leftovers :)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Get an 8 oz measuring cup. Scoop chili out of pot with cup into a bowl. Count number of cups. You can call that a serving (8 oz), then decide how much you want your meal to be. (1 servings, 1 1/2, 2).

So if your chili is around 200 cals per cup, and you want a big bowl for dinner (say 2 cups) then you know it's 400 cals for dinner.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    A serving of my chilli is 1.5 cups
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    i usually do 1cup unless im starved
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I usually divide it into 1 cup servings. Sometimes I eat one cup, sometimes two. Just measure yours out.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yeah I usually call a serving a cup - if I'm just having chilli on its lonesome, I may have 1.5/2... if with something then 1.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Put some in a bowl and weigh it. There's your serving.

My chili comes out to about 350-380g per bowl.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    usually 1 or 1 1/2 cups depending on the chili. I usually divid the whole thing up with a measuring cup for freezing so I know if a pot gives me 8 or 10 servings based on the number of containers that I've filled. Most of mine end up about 1 1/4 to even everything out nicely. Then I put the WHOLE ingrediants into the recipe builder and set the number of servings on the number of containers.

Works great when doing up a big batch...might not work so great if serving to family and then saving the rest if everyone doesn't have the same portion.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    When I make a recipe I decide how big a serving is. when it's something like chili I go with one cup. Because it's easy to remember, and it's about a "normal" bowl full amount. If I eat 2 servings it's still not obnoxious amounts. I make a batch, then measure it out in a 4-8 cup measuring cup, then put in how many servings it is. If it's something like lasagna in a rectangle I keep it consistant, too. Divide in half, then half in half. Then, depending on the pan, into 8 servings or 4. Something I know I can duplicate, and it will work out to a decent size, but not too big. The size I "should" be eating.
  • jobie4153
    Options
    I also use the one cup size. As a matter of fact, that is what we are having for dinner tonight, too...served over pasta. A nice change from meatballs and Italian sausages.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I say break it down by what you feel is an appropriate serving size. Could be 6oz or 8oz. Up to you. Then you can measure the volume of the recipe and calculate cals and nutrients by serving (of your choice)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I usually just divide up the recipes that I enter into how many things it makes (like a dozen cookies would be 12 servings) or how many people it feeds. If it's your own recipe, you can kind of make up your own serving size. As long as it's a reasonable amount of calories, I'm sure it doesn't matter.

me too
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends if you are measuring that cup by weight or by what fits in a measuring cup. what I do, when I can, is cook the stuff and then weigh it to see how many ounces it is cooked. Then I put all the ingredients in the Recipe section here, but put, "per ounce" in the description, and if the dish weighed 15 oz total, I put that it's 15 servings. That way I get calories per ounce, and depending on where I am calorie wise for the day I can choose to eat, 2, 3, 4, 6, or how ever many ounces I want.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    usually 1 or 1 1/2 cups depending on the chili. I usually divid the whole thing up with a measuring cup for freezing so I know if a pot gives me 8 or 10 servings based on the number of containers that I've filled. Most of mine end up about 1 1/4 to even everything out nicely. Then I put the WHOLE ingrediants into the recipe builder and set the number of servings on the number of containers.

Works great when doing up a big batch...might not work so great if serving to family and then saving the rest if everyone doesn't have the same portion.

this^^

I did the same thing with my tea biscuits, i put the full measurements of flour, baking powder, butter etc... the batch made 10 so i divided the full amount by 10 and then knew what my serving was, not perfect but pretty close
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This helps me a lot. I already know I have 224oz. So, I have a whopping 28 servings. Wowzers! :D
  • knelson422
    Options
    I do 1 cup servings for mine. It is just easier to figure out. Good luck, chili is great!!
  • malindab33
    malindab33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know Homemade food is hard my chili with beans say's ( about ) 1 and 1/4 cups.. what about ounces? I say get as close to it as you can.. I think we shouldn't go crazy on the perfect amount as long as your close. I am sure a few more ounce isnt going to hurt that much.. It is great that your counting the ounces ! I try too but sometimes we just have to be happy with getting it close :flowerforyou: