Eye twitching

Options
2»

Replies

• miss_sarcastic
    Options
    Fasciculations (small muscle twitches) can be caused by a few things. Stress, lack of sleep, both of which can tire the muscles causing random/involuntary twitches.

Stimulants can also cause fasciculations. These can include caffeine, pseudoephedrine (Sudafed), and albuterol/salbutamol (Proventil, Combivent, Ventolin).

Inadequate magnesium intake can cause fasciculations, especially after a magnesium loss (due to things like severe diarrhea). Over-exertion is another risk factor for magnesium loss. As many as 80% of the population does not get the recommended daily amount of magnesium; this may be a common cause. You can get more magnesium from supplements or increased intake of foods rich in magnesium, especially almonds and other nuts, and bananas.
  • coconut151
    coconut151 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Usually it is from not enough sleep and extra stress. Hope it goes away soon! Rest up! :)
  • Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It was happening to me and I was told it was possibly due to staring at the computer too much.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    It may happen (I base this on personal experience) without your actually feeling tired or stressed. Your body may be tired or stressed in ways that your mind isn't. For example, your body could be stressed due to lowered caloric intake--evolutionarily, caloric deficit is a stressful thing. So in that way it could be related to your change in dietary habits. But the likelihood that it's serious is relatively small, I think.

Monitoring calories is more stressful than just eating what's there. But also don't necessarily believe the nutrient stats. Reducing the amount of food you eat, cuts nutrients too. With being vegetarian, it must be even harder to get everythin in, so a supplement will definitely not hurt.
    And btw, you're obviously stressed out about the twitches ;) - I bet that isn't helping...
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Mine twitch when I'm stressed out. :sad:
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yup, stress gets my vote too. i'll have this happen on occasion...once I said something to the physician who said it's almost always stress that's the culprit. Making healthy changes may be good for us, but it's also stressful - remember to not be hard on yourself and recognize and appreciate all the great things you're doing