HRM problem?

Options
saz7
saz7 Posts: 12 Member
I recently bought a HRM and used it for the first time while on an elliptical machine. I programmed the HRM with my age, height, gender, and weight. I programmed the elliptical with my age and weight. The calories burned according to the HRM was 196, while the elliptical showed 297 calories burned. I assume the HRM is more accurate, but I was really surprised with the 100 calorie difference. Anybody have similar issue? If so, which number do you use?

Thanks!

Replies

• saz7
    saz7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a HRM and used it for the first time while on an elliptical machine. I programmed the HRM with my age, height, gender, and weight. I programmed the elliptical with my age and weight. The calories burned according to the HRM was 196, while the elliptical showed 297 calories burned. I assume the HRM is more accurate, but I was really surprised with the 100 calorie difference. Anybody have similar issue? If so, which number do you use?

Thanks!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I had the same problems, but in the other direction... my HRM always shows more calories burned than the machine, usually around 100 in 30 minutes. I use my HRM. Since it has more data about you, it's going to be more accurate.
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    Same deal for me...the HRM always shows a higher number of calories burned than what the Elliptical shows - and often it's by upwards of 200 - 250 calories.
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My HRM always shows a lower number than the machines.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I do not (YET) have a HRM - but there is a pretty large difference between what my treadmill and MFP says for walking... does anyone have a good website to calculate calories burned? Any idea to get as close as possible to what I'm "actually" burning?
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I do not (YET) have a HRM - but there is a pretty large difference between what my treadmill and MFP says for walking... does anyone have a good website to calculate calories burned? Any idea to get as close as possible to what I'm "actually" burning?

All I know is even before I started wearing a HRM, the trainers at my gym always said that the machines overestimate the numbers and to cut it down, about in half for an hour. When I finally got a HRM, mine showed that the trainers were right. It's off about 30 cals for every 10 min for me. And the longer you go, the more of a difference there is. Keep in mind, I am at my goal weight, so the difference may not be as much for others. Personally, I would go with the lower number.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I usually burn less than what the machine reads when on the elliptical or walking the treadmill.
    I only burn MORE than what the machine shows when I am running on the treadmill.
    I use the HRM calories burned.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    And btw Shari G, you look FABULOUS!!! :love: Congrats on reaching your goal weight!!!!