how do you avoid fibre?

Options
I eat a lot of vegetarian foods. I like fruit and veg Plus nearly all diet food seems to be high in fibre or have added fibre or they want you too add fibre to it lol I don't need anymore fibre!!!!! Enough with the fibre!!! hahaha

I've been deliberately choosing starches and avoiding fruit and vegetables lol it's not what I want but I certainly don't want o/d ing on fibre

I know this is all wrong but what is the right way? I've tried to introduce more fruit and veg and more healthy cereals etc but each time I do ....enough said haha

Can somebody please educate me? How on earth do vegetarians manage it???? Can you avoid O/Ding on fibre and eat healthily?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Same way I avoid alligators
  • KLK1986
    Options
    Fiber isn't bad for you.....why would you want to avoid it??
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't want to avoid it all together I just want to avoid eating excessive fibre. It's making me all bloated and I've had way more BMs than I should have had today. It seems almost impossible to eat a mostly vegetarian diet without O/D ing on fibre
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Your body adjusts pretty quickly. I'd just carry on with the fibre and see what happens.
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    really? So it's not like a sign that it doesn't agree with you? you can get passed it?
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, your body will adjust to the fiber intake, just wait for it and drink your water :)
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Fibre is a funny thing, as too much of it may start with diarrhea if one's body is not used to it, but in the long haul, too much can end up causing constipation & blockages in your GI tract. I don't think fibre alone is your issue. You may want to speak with a dietician, as it could be something else in your diet or what you're pairing it with.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I dont avoid fiber. It is healthy and necessary and I am always looking for ways to add more. I say unless you have constant diarreah for weeks on end than ease up a bit and take it easy but if not eat up. Your body will adjust.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you've had a low fibre diet and then have switched all of a sudden then your body rebels, but if you stick to it it just becomes normal and you will be back to the same old you (but healthier). I'd give it at least 2 weeks and then reassess.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hydrate and wait it out. Fiber isn't bad for you, and how you're going about it certainly isn't either, so I wouldn't panic. Now if you're not having *normal* BMs, even if they are more frequent, then you might want to consider cutting back a little. But I don't think you have cause for concern. :)
  • betsygw
    betsygw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes, your body adjusts. I have been a vegetarian for years, and the first 3 months or so were VERY gassy. Try to alternate gassy veggies with ones that don't cause as much gas and bloating. (ie, broccoli, cauliflower, etc..) You should be consuming about 25 grams of fiber a day for optimal health, which as about the average for vegetarians. You will get used to it, I promise. Avoid the fiber one bars and foods with added fiber, and just stick to all natural foods, this will decrease gassiness and excessive trips to the bathroom. Good luck.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    From looking at your diary I would think you aren't getting enough fiber. You should aim for 25g a day or more. You should also make sure you are drinking 64oz or more of water a day to help with passing the fiber through your body.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I've had 50g of fiber today (well over 'goal') -- I eat tons of fiber everyday (and I'm not a vegetarian - just eat a lot of veggies/fiber rich stuff) -- fiber is GREAT for you -- your body will adjust - make sure you are drinking plenty of water too.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can OD on fiber, just make sure you're drinking enough water. To choose more starchy things or foods that are poorer choices for you would negate everything you are working for - just to avoid fiber!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Seriously it takes a few days, but your GI tract adjusts really fast to changes in diet. I had the same problem when I started eating healthy, but now I'm super regular and haven't had a problem with it since whearas I used to be super irregular all the time. Fiber is a wonderful thing for so, so many reasons. Do not avoid it.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Sorry I disagree. I started eating more fiber and paid for it. (it's a lot of the problem but not all). I was seen two weeks in a row in the Er in decemer for diverticulitis. Was told to limit my fiber intake, whole grains, oats, no more raw veggies for me either. I'm still trying to adjust to this. If this is causing abdominal pain you really should see a gastroenterologist. Really careful now and I try to keep mine to around 14 a day. Good luck.