Calories are Calories....

Options
2»

Replies

• clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Since you don't like him, you could bring him some twinkies and speed up his skinny demise.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

He says he could eat 1400 calories in cake, either at one sitting or throughout the day, and lose weight. Similar, eat frenchfries, McDonals, Twinkies. ....

Im not saying hes wrong, but..... Are calories really just calories?

Would 1400 Calories in SUGAR and FAT let him lose weight?

yes.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have also read that your body processes alcohol first so whatever food you've got in your belly sits and waits. Not sure if there's truth to that or not.

Close, kinda. Your liver metabolizes alcohol first, so the job of fat burning is "pushed to the back burner". You can still lose weight if you're in a deficit, but alcohol can make it come off more sluggishly.

Now that makes sense haha. Thanks!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, but nutrients are a whole other subject.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight as a number-crunching activity, simply creating a deficit, then yeah, they're just calories- get them from vegetables, woodchips, or milkshakes and they're still calories. But if you're losing weight as part of a health regimen, then obviously they're not the same and you're hurting your body more by what you're putting into it than the benefits you're reaping via the caloric deficit created.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    From a nutritional aspect a calorie is not just a calorie. A carrot and a Twinkie are worlds apart.
    I guess it all depends on how you feel about your health not just your weight.

Well said! :drinker:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Technically yes a cal is just a cal but its the fats, protein, fiber, sugar, carbs etc that count so eventually it will catch up with him.
  • ssinner
    ssinner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    His weight will go down, but so will his life expectancy..... I would check back with him in 10 years and see how that junk food diet worked out.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories in terms of weight loss. Health is a different story.

Fitting in treats is fine, eating nothing but crap is just stupid.

^ This.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    He's going to fail. Calories are calories, but your body craves more than just calories. He'll eat his empty calories, but his body will keep nagging him for more.
  • birdieintx
    Options
    Calories are calories in terms of weight loss. Health is a different story.

Fitting in treats is fine, eating nothing but crap is just stupid.

This exactly. I have a friend who is a size 2, much much smaller than me. She eats crap food. She gets winded going up a flight of stairs.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1400 calories of crap, you would still lose the same amount of weight as if you were eating 1400 calories of healthy food. Regarding macro nutrients, if all of your cals come from fat and carbs, you'd lose weight but that includes fat and muscle. You need a sufficient amount of protein to preserve some of the muscle so you burn more fat instead (you'd still lose the same number of pounds, it's just that body composition would be different with two different protein intakes).
  • Camsdette
    Camsdette Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    He will probably lose weight, but he will also probably feel tired/cranky all the time and have bad hair/skin. And he will be putting himself at risk for things like heart disease and diabetes.

Also, junk food calories add up much faster, so he will probably be hungry all the time and find that it takes more than 1400 calories to keep himself satisfied

^ That's what I was thinking. I would be starving if all I had was 1400 calories from cake. That's like one slice of cake, depending on the cake.
  • chanson104
    Options
    I think that the answer depends upon what your goal is. If it is simply to lose weight then I suppose a calorie is a calorie, but if it is to look and feel better and be healthier then what you eat makes a huge difference!