Calories in foods

Options
How do others determine how many calories are in foods that come from non-chain type restaurants? For example, I just ate 1/2 of a chicken quesadilla and have no idea how many calories that is. I have seen from 1200 calories in a whole one to 345 calories in 1/2 of one.

Replies

• spottedlee
    Options
    How do others determine how many calories are in foods that come from non-chain type restaurants? For example, I just ate 1/2 of a chicken quesadilla and have no idea how many calories that is. I have seen from 1200 calories in a whole one to 345 calories in 1/2 of one.
    I usually just look at few places and pick the one with most calories to be on safe side.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I usually just look at few places and pick the one with most calories to be on safe side.

This
  • rochellerya
    rochellerya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It really all depends. If it's something made at home just made a recipe and added the ingredients. Otherwise it really is just a guessing game. Perhaps to get an idea enter all the ingredients you know are in it, ask how its made as well will give you an idea of the oil that may be added. good luck!
  • drclable
    drclable Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When eating homemade foods I usually enter each ingredient individually. for example lunch wrap or sandwhich
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'll look for a few different ones, like searching "homemade quesadilla", and I'll pick the one with the calories near the middle of the range of choices :-)

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'll look for a few different ones, like searching "homemade quesadilla", and I'll pick the one with the calories near the middle of the range of choices :-)

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Simple addition and division. Figure out what you've got in each serving, divide by how many servings you have. I did it with a macaroni & cheese earlier. It was frustrating at first, keeping track of all the info for each ingredient, but it paid off, having that much more control over what I ate.
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I figured I should error on the high side when it comes to calories. So I am hearing that I should count it as 550 calories. Thanks for all of your input. I have just started my journey here in January and have lost 5 pounds, but have another 10-15 to go.