I can't decide if this site is right for me...

Options

Replies

• SMILLS2122
    Options
    Most diets say that you should keep track of what you eat. You just need to adjust to make this more of a lifestyle. If you want keep a journal during the day and then when you get home or time to get on MFP then go on and track your food. But you really should be holding yourself accountable for everything your eating. Its good to have motivation and reading about weight loss helps get my butt on track and not fall off the wagon. I hope you stick with it!
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    If tracking the food on your own helps you more, I say do it. It is a TOOL, nothing more, nothing less...I love this site...make sure you have everything set up correctly...I was going over on protein EVERY DAY & it was freaking me out. I know if you are gonna go over on something, protein is the thing, but still I almost quit. I went on a trusted website and got percentages that were a lot more accurate and customized them. I read on here that the protein is set too low. I HATE logging food normally, but this forum is easy and it has helped me stay on track. I even log my "splurge days", so I will know what I am doing. That being said, if it is so stressful that you are upset all day, then don't do it...I would encourage you first to take a honest look at what you are doing & see if that is actually what is stressing you out. The support and encouragement on MFP is so awesome to me & I would hate for you to miss out on that.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Conquering emotional eating/binging requires that you look at what is causing it. You might want to seek professional help!
  • Flora0429
    Options
    Love this site an love that I have the app on my phone......Have tried so many different things to lose weight an this really helps an keeps me on track!!! Have been using it 3 weeks today an very happy with with results thus far. I dont feel like I am on a diet at all

15157153.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Conquering emotional eating/binging requires that you look at what is causing it. You might want to seek professional help!

THANK YOU! I wish people would pay freaking attention before they start spouting their "advice".

When you see a young skinny girl in the picture folks, you better do some investigation before giving advice. This child needs help and to learn how to eat correctly.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! I wish people would pay freaking attention before they start spouting their "advice".

When you see a young skinny girl in the picture folks, you better do some investigation before giving advice. This child needs help and to learn how to eat correctly.

Some of us are/were aware when we posted. Counting or keeping track of calories isn't just a weight loss tool - it's a tool to be used to identify patterns of eating and, hopefully, understanding the emotions behind them.

And just so you know, not everyone who looks "skinny and young" in their pictures is actually as pictured. Some pictures are old, some people just carry weight in different places. Careful before you cast judgement on others as well.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

Some of us are/were aware when we posted. Counting or keeping track of calories isn't just a weight loss tool - it's a tool to be used to identify patterns of eating and, hopefully, understanding the emotions behind them.

And just so you know, not everyone who looks "skinny and young" in their pictures is actually as pictured. Some pictures are old, some people just carry weight in different places. Careful before you cast judgement on others as well.

She posted in her profile she has an issue. She is 18 years old, its pretty hard to get a picture much older than what she has. That child needs professional help, not people telling her how to eat less calories.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

She posted in her profile she has an issue. She is 18 years old, its pretty hard to get a picture much older than what she has. That child needs professional help, not people telling her how to eat less calories.

What makes the OP any different than any other person on this site that has an unhealthy relationship with food?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I really love the idea of having friends to help keep me motivated here online, but I feel like tracking calories like this is too stressful. Everytime I go over, I feel bad, and I feel like it is making me obsessive over every little bit of food that I eat. Does anyone else feel this way? I can't figure out if this site is actually not for me, or if I'm just being a baby because staying under my calories is too difficult, and it would be easier not to bother.

I also love reading the message boards on here and looking through my newsfeed thing, but I feel like this just makes me spend a large block of time thinking about weight loss, and it stresses me out

I was thinking of just keeping an actual journal of my daily food intake, but not tracking the calories alongside it. Any thoughts on this idea?

I felt just like you when I started. I would get anxious towards the end of the day when I would see I was getting close to my calorie limit. But I stuck to it and as I started to see changes in my body it became less stressful. Plus you learn a whole lot about your eating habits and hitting your macros. For me this site works!
  • Jen0387
    Options
    I do not use the calorie counter I use this site more to track my weight and read the boards and it's nice to meet other people losing weight and if I need advice I can just come on here and post something and hope to get responses.
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i'm a big fan of baby steps. It's fine to just keep track of what you eat without the calories/carbs/fat etc for a little while. Once you get comfortable with the idea, THEN start adding in the calorie counting, then exercise, carb counting and the rest will follow in stride. Trying too much at once sets you up for failure!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU GUYS EVEN PAYING ATTENTION OR ARE YOU MORE CONCERNED IN EXPRESSING YOUR FANTASTIC LITTLE OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS CHILD HAS AN EATING DISORDER AND NEEDS PROFESSIONAL HELP,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please check out her profile, notice she does not need to lose weight.

WAKE UP PAY ATTENTION!

Not everyone here needs to lose weight. There are lots of people here that have eating disorders, pay attention please.

Thank you! No, obviously, most people aren't paying attention.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Honestly, tracking my calories and actively focusing on food is the only way I, personally, can control my binge habit. Having a goal and forcing myself to log everything keeps me accountable and aware. If this process isn't making you feel good, though, and the focus on food is making things worse, maybe you need to explore alternate means of dealing with your eating disorder. MFP makes me feel better, because logging makes me feel more in control. At your age, especially, you probably shouldn't be doing this alone. Do you have an Overeaters Anonymous near you? I've never been to meetings, but it might be a good support system for you.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    After reading your profile, I would not use this site for calorie tracking. In fact you can do much better by just tracking foods without the calories associated. Originally, my dr/dietitian advise an eating plan that was geared towards establishing healthy eating choices. Each day, I was to just tick off the number of grains, fruits, veggies, proteins, and fats each day. For the junkies foods, I just made note of them and would try and reduce them. The point was the if. Ate a healthy balanced diet, the weight would come off, and I would do it a healthy way. The important thing was not losing the weight but developing a healthy lifestyle and view towards food. A list of healthier choices were provided, but no worries if I occasionally picked a less than healthy choice, as long as I got all my food groups.

I think for you and anyone who is 'afraid' to eat their calories or go over, this may bet a better approach. You have targets in each of the food groups each day that you must ea as a minimum, and this is for good health. Even if you start to try and do lower calorie items since the are still eating a healthy diet. There's still room for other not as healthy food, but it's about giving our body what it needs to maintain a long lasting lifestyle.

I do challenge to STOP TRACKING CALORIES, if it's causing ou so much stress.
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU GUYS EVEN PAYING ATTENTION OR ARE YOU MORE CONCERNED IN EXPRESSING YOUR FANTASTIC LITTLE OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS CHILD HAS AN EATING DISORDER AND NEEDS PROFESSIONAL HELP,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please check out her profile, notice she does not need to lose weight.

WAKE UP PAY ATTENTION!

Not everyone here needs to lose weight. There are lots of people here that have eating disorders, pay attention please.

I really appreciate your concern and the fact that you took the time to read my profile whereas others didn't, and I wanted to clear a few things up

I know you asked earlier if I purge, and no I do not. My problem is just that I binge sometimes to cope with feelings (stress from school, anxiety, etc). I have talked to my doctor about it, and I'm doing everything she told me to, and I have an appointment with her again in a month to talk about it more.

I also know that you said I am young and don't need to lose weight. I am 18, so I am legally an adult and am able to decide for myself. And my profile picture is only my face, whereas most of my weight is carried in my hips. Also, my goal weight is still well within the normal weight range for my age and height.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    Thanks for your response to me and I apologize for assuming you did not need to lose weight. I work with people that suffer from addiction and food issues are a large part of it. The only problem with food is we have to have it to live as where we can abstain from drugs and alcohol.

You may want to look into seeing if there is an over eaters group in your town. They will help you with these issues and by working the steps, you will be able to cope and manage dealing with your feelings with out having to binge eat. Its also pretty much free, they ask that if you go to a meeting, you can put a dollar into the hat to help with expenses.

I am very happy you do not purge, this is a big deal.

There is also a site that you can go do to join a group of people that suffer from the same issues. If you would like that address, I will be happy to private message it to you.

Good luck, I hope you find the help you are looking for.
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Okay I followed some of your suggestions and changed my weight loss to 1lb per week, so now I get 1260 calories per day instead of 1200. I also looked at maintenance calories (1760) and it is helpful to know that as long as I am under that number, I am still at a deficit
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My friend and I started working out/eating better January 1. We are very similar weights/body types. I use MFP and she keeps a written log because MFP is "too much trouble." As of today, I've lost 11 pounds. She has lost TWO. 'Nuff said.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is new for me too. I'm learning and if i take all the information that i receive and can put it to use in my life style it will help me understand how "I" work with my eatting. Give it a try.
  • appyfan
    Options
    After reading your profile, I would not use this site for calorie tracking. In fact you can do much better by just tracking foods without the calories associated. Originally, my dr/dietitian advise an eating plan that was geared towards establishing healthy eating choices. Each day, I was to just tick off the number of grains, fruits, veggies, proteins, and fats each day. For the junkies foods, I just made note of them and would try and reduce them. The point was the if. Ate a healthy balanced diet, the weight would come off, and I would do it a healthy way. The important thing was not losing the weight but developing a healthy lifestyle and view towards food. A list of healthier choices were provided, but no worries if I occasionally picked a less than healthy choice, as long as I got all my food groups.

I think for you and anyone who is 'afraid' to eat their calories or go over, this may bet a better approach. You have targets in each of the food groups each day that you must ea as a minimum, and this is for good health. Even if you start to try and do lower calorie items since the are still eating a healthy diet. There's still room for other not as healthy food, but it's about giving our body what it needs to maintain a long lasting lifestyle.

I do challenge to STOP TRACKING CALORIES, if it's causing ou so much stress.

I second this poster's suggestions.

I also applaud you for identifying you have an issue, especially early in the game. I'm 24yrs old & have recently come to terms with emotional binging.