Eating Clean

Options
Hey guys,

So I've been logging into my fitness pal for about a month now and I haven't lost ANY weight. Obviously I'm very disheartened but I was reading up about the way that food reacts in our bodies and how it's possible to loose weight on a healthy "clean" diet that has 2000 calories while you gain weight on a 1600 calorie diet. I'm wondering what's been working for you? I live in a family where we got fast food every day and changing my habbits has been harder but slowly things are getting better around here and we're eating out a lot less. I'm thinking maybe I should try eating raw for a while and just completely refuse the fast/junk food my family tends to put out even though I try to opt for heathier options?

Thanks!

Camille

Replies

• chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by you haven't lost "any" weight? I'm just curious, because 2lbs when you're starting out doesn't seem like a lot, but it actually is a healthy loss of 0.5lbs/wk. Has the scale stayed put exactly where you started? That can be frustrating.
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I started eating clean-er (Its not very feasible for me to eat clean completely, but I do what I can) and I can tell you that I feel so much better! Even though I"m not losing lots of pounds (there has been some added stress in my life that's not helped me get to the gym), I feel fantastic and so motivated to keep this up... for the long haul!

At our house its just my husband and me and we work completely opposite shifts and don't see each other very much. Usually when we do see each other we take the opportunities for "date nights" and tend to eat out more. But when I'm alone in the evenings I eat a lot healthier. I've found by being knowledgable about the restaurants and what options they might have available is so helpful. Regardless, I know that when I'm not eating fast food (even healthier options at fast food) my body is a lot happier and just works more harmoniously.

If you (or anyone) need another friend or some other food options... or just someone that is starting out on the clean thing, too, feel free to add me!

Keep at it! You got this!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Eating as clean as possible is IMO the best thing you can do for your body but it's not necessary for weight loss. I would caution you from taking an extreme approach as often taking on too much will result in slipping, feeling bad, and ultimately failing.

I think you are making better choices this past month, "eating out less, etc." I think you would have better long term success by making small, continuous changes rather than a big change all at once. Maybe you could challenge your family to a month of no eating out to get some practice cooking things you like at home. Challenge yourself to a week of no fast food, a week of no white sugar, a week of whatever just to test things out for yourself.

I have been cuttin gthe refined sugar out of my diet. I've taken it slow, one thing at a time. The only time I have had white sugar in a long time was in my coffee in the morning and recently I decided I just didn't need it anymore. Some good 100% Columbian and a tbsp of 1/2 and 1/2 is perfect. Take it slow. Some things will be easier than others to change.

Remember progress does not mean perfection :)
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten pretty healthy, but have had periods of fast food all the time. I haven't done that for a long time though and have cut out eating out except for dinner with my boyfriend once a month. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, but I want to cut out all of the white foods.

I started eating wheat bread more often, but just read the ingredient list....definitely not whole wheat. I'm gonna start trading out the flour, bread, sugar, rice slowly. I am a poor college student and I can't afford to just throw food in the garbage. I'm trying to get a job soon, so that would help.

I also want to eat more organic produce, meat and dairy products. I'm going to start slow so I can budget it, but I am going to get the bad out of my diet and switch to eating much higher quality food.
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I started eating clean(er) a month ago but really made a better effort to eat more clean almost 2 weeks ago! WOW what a change. I FEEL better, I'm consistantly loosing, some weeks better then others, and my body just feels well. It's amazing. Stick to a few simple rules. When in the grocery store, shop the outer perimeter. Nothing from cans or boxes in those center isles. It's all processed (except frozen veggies) IF you do grab something with an ingredient label, anything more then 5 ingredients is bad. Anything you can't pronounce or even know what it is/does is no good. Eat raw as much as you can, it is better! The less tampered with the more nutritious. Your taste buds WILL learn to like the changes. Give it time. No fast food. EVER. It's not real food. Really, it's not. Take a look at Forks Over Knifes or Food Inc. (on Netflix). Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is another good one though it's based on juicing, the conept of eating clean is still very much explained. Our body just isn't designed for all the processed crap that's out there. I'm slowly learning that. I still have SOME processed in my diet. My goal is 80/20 or 90/10 ratio. Everything in moderation when it's not veggies, fruits, beans, lentils, (raw) nuts or seeds. Limit your meat, if you're going to eat it (I do) do chicken or fish. I try to limit my red meat to once a week.

Just do some research. You'll scare yourself into wanting to eat cleaner and more locally! It's crazy what is really in our "food".
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Eating as clean as possible is IMO the best thing you can do for your body but it's not necessary for weight loss. I would caution you from taking an extreme approach as often taking on too much will result in slipping, feeling bad, and ultimately failing.

I think you are making better choices this past month, "eating out less, etc." I think you would have better long term success by making small, continuous changes rather than a big change all at once. Maybe you could challenge your family to a month of no eating out to get some practice cooking things you like at home. Challenge yourself to a week of no fast food, a week of no white sugar, a week of whatever just to test things out for yourself.

I have been cuttin gthe refined sugar out of my diet. I've taken it slow, one thing at a time. The only time I have had white sugar in a long time was in my coffee in the morning and recently I decided I just didn't need it anymore. Some good 100% Columbian and a tbsp of 1/2 and 1/2 is perfect. Take it slow. Some things will be easier than others to change.

Remember progress does not mean perfection :)

I totally agree with you! I've been at this almost a year and had I went from how I ate then to how I eat now, I would have failed for sure. Baby steps is the way to go. I started with soda and have progressed since to where I am now.
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think going raw is too extreme. Just stop eating fast food, and you'll see a difference.