help with the nagging sweet tooth

Options
Hi all,

My sister has a terrible sweet tooth that starts right after dinner. Any ideas on what she can do to fix this? Or does anyone have some low calorie ideas for her? She is trying to help support me with my weightloss and also shed a few pounds herself. As long as I've known her, she's always craved sweets. We need your help!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to tell you to get rid of the sweet tooth. I have one myself and I can tell you what I do to keep mine under control. I keep a bag of Hershey kisses...and when I feel the craving for something sweet, I grab one or two, let them melt in my mouth and then make sure I track it right then. It really does help me keep the cravings under control - and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate, sugar free gum or fruit/smoothie. Also look for the 3,2,1 cake recipe!
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    bananas, dates and figs all have quickly absorbing sugar and are desert like-they might help.
  • amgriffin69
    Options
    or toss in a piece of sugar free...minty gum. or go brush your teeth right away cuz then you wont want to spoil your good breath!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My favorite solution: have a cup of flavored tea (decaf if needed). I have things like chocolate hazelnut, vanilla almond and even spicy chocolate. I add stevia and a bit of creamer or almond milk. It tastes like dessert in a cup. Even if you use sugar, worst case it is 40 calories.

http://www.stashtea.com/Creme-Caramel-Decaf-Black-Tea/dp/B005DM5PK0
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    It really depends if she craves anything in particular or sweets in general. I HIGHLY recommend Philly Swirls Delights. They are like a dreamsicle and come in orange & cream, cherry & cream, and grape & cream. Best part is, they're only 14 calories. She might want to give these a try.
  • MoogieOh
    MoogieOh Posts: 141
    Options
    Sugar free gum, diet ice blocks, chuppa chup (50cals), diet soft drink (not too often), fruit has good natural sugar.. pineapple is great :D
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    I have make up some True Lemon drink mix and water--- and then add half real lemon. It tastes just like that old time lemonade and it takes care of my sweet tooth. Good luck!
  • slimmersooner
    slimmersooner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Cut back or out refined carbs and go light on other carbs like white potatos. This will help a lot. Also I have found that a cup of tea that is naturally sweet is a wonderful way to satisfy a sweet desire after dinner.
  • Jnine25
    Jnine25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It really depends if she craves anything in particular or sweets in general. I HIGHLY recommend Philly Swirls Delights. They are like a dreamsicle and come in orange & cream, cherry & cream, and grape & cream. Best part is, they're only 14 calories. She might want to give these a try.

where could she find these at? are they in the frozen isle at any store?
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    +1 on dates. 2 = 140 calories and they are really good! I have a sweet tooth and they help me a lot.

also a small baked (not microwaved) sweetpotato with dinner might help too. also very naturally sweet - does not need any added sugar or butter.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    What works for one person may not work for others but I am in the camp of ridding the house of all those sweets and if they are not there I just don't crave them... I have oranges in the fridge, banana's on the counter and anymore would sooner grab that.... Now the one thing I have that I do drink every night right before bed is a glass of 1% chocolate milk... I am a type 2 diabetic and need something to get me through til morning and this fills that void and gives me a chocolate treat.....
  • pinktulip76
    Options
    Dates are a good one . They are really sweet so 2 or 3 and your over the craving . Antiox dark choc is also good
  • nlkoelle
    nlkoelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but do have a sweet tooth. By logging what you're eating, you may start to notice trends or triggers. For example, potatoes, bread, and some other starches make me want more carb-heavy foods, including sweets. Also, as soon as I have something sweet (real sugar or artificial sweetner), I want more of it.

I'm trying to limit my triggers. It's helping. I also have healthy options readily available - individual snack bags of celery ready to go (with peanut butter in the cupboard), blueberries portioned out, etc.

Good luck!!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    For me, which this might not work for everyone else, I tend to eat a pickle. Something about the sourness gets rid of any cravings I have. But I LOVE pickles too so that is also a positive there. lol
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Having more protein and fewer carbs at meals helps me avoid sugar cravings. And having diet soda/sugar-free jello/fruit around just in case...
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fruit, 0 calorie flavored water, popsicles/fudgesicles, sugar free gum and hard candies. Brushing your teeth also helps. I used to have a sweet tooth but after I cut out junk food I don't crave it anymore. My tastebuds really changed. I used to looove chocolate, candy, ice cream (I can't believe I don't like ice cream anymore :noway: ), fried foods and other things but now they just taste bad. It's kind of weird because my favorite foods are vegetables and lean meat now :laugh: .
  • slnewberry
    Options
    I actually have found that mandarin orange, lemon, or raspberry teas work well. I make them into individual ice cubes or pops. I suck on them and it helps with my cravings.
  • megala65
    megala65 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Does she like chocolate or more straight up sugary treats? I find that just two rectangles of Hershey's Special Dark after dinner can really help. Other times, when chocolate isn't what I seem to want, I like Twizzler's.
  • megala65
    megala65 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh and for a less processed option: frozen grapes are a nice sweet too.