New Plan

Hello, I'm Donna. I am trying to get relly serious and lose about 40 lbs. 50 would be better. I am going back to basics and counting calories. I have been working out really hard on my eliptical machine. It burns alot of calories but then I eat too much and undo the good I did by working out. I have set a goal of using my eliptical 4 days a week, walking two days a week and doing some strength training too. I want to re-train myself and learn to make smarter food choices. I want to set a good example for my daughters and my husband.

Replies

• donnahky
    donnahky Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm Donna. I am trying to get relly serious and lose about 40 lbs. 50 would be better. I am going back to basics and counting calories. I have been working out really hard on my eliptical machine. It burns alot of calories but then I eat too much and undo the good I did by working out. I have set a goal of using my eliptical 4 days a week, walking two days a week and doing some strength training too. I want to re-train myself and learn to make smarter food choices. I want to set a good example for my daughters and my husband.
  • Wow Donna thats great - good luck.
    I am very sure that with this determination you would do it )
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Welcome! It sounds like you are doing this for the right reasons. Since you have already taken up an exercise routine, you have conquered half the battle. This website is such a great tool to enable you to become more conscience of what you are putting into your body. I use it to track not just calories, but carbs, fiber, and protein! Keeping track is a great motivator, not to mention all the positive people that are members on here. It really is an awesome site.
  • Donna, good for you! I've had that same problem of over eating after exercise. My body is used to my current weight and so my survival instincts kick in every time I try to lose some pounds. Your plan of changing up the cardio with the walking and the strength training is a great idea. I have learned a few tricks that help keep me from over eating after a workout. I hope they can be useful to you, too.
    The first thing that helps is eating some form of protein about a half hour to an hour before I work out. The extra protein helps build muscle which can burn more calories without making you more hungry. I've also noticed that I get hungry about an hour after my workout, and that if I haven't eaten before then it's like I"m suddenly RAVENOUS. So I try to eat something about a half hour after my workout too. Neither of these are full meals or anything- it's more like one piece of string cheese before and maybe a dinner-roll sized sandwich after. Also make sure that you're drinking plenty of water, because being dehydrated can make you feel hungry too, since most foods have at least some water in them.
    I really hope this helps!! Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love it here. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Welcome!!! I swear by south beach bars, 140 cals, 10 g protein. I have one before i work out, and i'm not hungry for hours. Good luck!!

157298.png