any yummy hubby approved recipes?

Options

Replies

• 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Two yummy things my boyfriend requests all of the time.

Chicken Tacos Sans Tortillas (or do tortillas if you prefer; we're low carb.)
    (This one he said he will eat 7 days a week.)
    Sauteed chicken, onion, frozen corn, bell pepper,1/2 "taco seasoning" spice packet, green onions. Take it off the stove, stir in 1/2 a bushel of cilantro, some avocado, and the MOST IMPORTANT PART: squeeze fresh lime all over it.

Mustard/tortilla baked "fried" chicken.
    (This is suuuuuper easy. I'm allergic to wheat so can't use bread crumbs, but that would prob work too.)
    Squirt a lot of dijon mustard onto a plate (like 4-5 TBSP.) Drench a boneless skinless chicken breast in the mustard. Put the mustard-ey chicken into crushed tortilla chips and coat both sides. Place on a piece of parchment paper into a 375 preheated oven for 20 minutes. YUMMY! (This also works with drumsticks, etc. We just like the BL/SL breasts from Costco.)
  • athearenee
    Options
    Here are a couple favs in our house:

http://joelens.blogspot.com/2010/06/chicken-parmesan-meatloaf.html
    This one, I've always used ground turkey instead of chicken. My hubby can't stop raving about it and always gets excited when it's on the menu. :) With the ingredients I use, calories are 214/serving.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pan-Seared-Lemon-Tilapia-with-Parmesan-Pasta/Detail.aspx
    This is delish! I like to pair mine up with fresh steamed zucchini. YUM! Hubby prefers broccoli as his side, tho. With the ingredients I use, calories are 370 for the pasta. The tilapia would depend on the size of your fillet.
    Yum....definitely gonna add it to the menu
    Thanks!
  • athearenee
    Options
    Two yummy things my boyfriend requests all of the time.

Chicken Tacos Sans Tortillas (or do tortillas if you prefer; we're low carb.)
    (This one he said he will eat 7 days a week.)
    Sauteed chicken, onion, frozen corn, bell pepper,1/2 "taco seasoning" spice packet, green onions. Take it off the stove, stir in 1/2 a bushel of cilantro, some avocado, and the MOST IMPORTANT PART: squeeze fresh lime all over it.

Mustard/tortilla baked "fried" chicken.
    (This is suuuuuper easy. I'm allergic to wheat so can't use bread crumbs, but that would prob work too.)
    Squirt a lot of dijon mustard onto a plate (like 4-5 TBSP.) Drench a boneless skinless chicken breast in the mustard. Put the mustard-ey chicken into crushed tortilla chips and coat both sides. Place on a piece of parchment paper into a 375 preheated oven for 20 minutes. YUMMY! (This also works with drumsticks, etc. We just like the BL/SL breasts from Costco.)
    I know he would love this...
    You're the Best!!
  • athearenee
    Options
    I have a similar problem but for me it's my wife that's super picky. I lighten up a lot of the things we used to eat all the time. Most notably tacos and spaghetti. I use ground turkey rather than beef on both. I have whole wheat noodles and light sauce with the spaghetti and always pick low calorie cheeses made with skim or 2% milk. She doesn't eat many veggies so I make them for myself. We also like the occasional BLT which I know sounds really high in calories but I use center cut bacon. It has fewer calories even than turkey bacon, only 20 per slice. Fish is another very lean meat you can use and it can be prepared so many ways. For inspiration try the cooking light magazine website that's where I get my best recipes though she doesn't always like them. http://www.cookinglight.com
    awesome tip..
    Thanks Man!!
  • athearenee
    Options
    My husband will LITERALLY leave work early if he knows this is on the table. He calls it "Maple Goodness." LOL

Maple Glazed Pork Chops
    I use lean, boneless center cut chops or just a pork tenderloion. I also double the recipe since this only makes 2 servings.

Ingredients:
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
    1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    Directions:
    Combine the first five ingredients; rub over pork chops. Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20 minutes. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over chops. Bake 5 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear.
    Nutritional Facts
    1 pork chop with 1 tablespoon glaze equals 338 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 769 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 32 g protein.

Another fave is this one. My 9 year old actually requests this a lot. It's his favorite.

Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
    TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.

Ingredients:
    3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed *I used a turkey kielbasa link and it was great, too.
    1 medium onion, chopped
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1-3/4 cups water
    1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
    1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
    2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    Dash crushed red pepper flakes
    Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
    Directions:
    Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Add the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
    Stir in tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).

Nutritional Facts
    One serving: 1-1/3 cups (calculated without cheese) Calories: 203 Fat: 8 g Saturated Fat: 2 g Cholesterol: 40 mg Sodium: 878 mg Carbohydrate: 18 g Fiber: 3 g Protein: 16 g
    These look fantastic!!
    The soup will come in handy this wknd...supposed to be freezing here...
    Thanks So Much!!
  • athearenee
    Options
    Stuffed Baked Chicken and Potatoes (less than 500 calorie per person)

This is 2 servings.

2 chicken breast
    4 laughing cow cheese wedges
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 tbsp basil/oregano
    2tbsp parmesan cheese

Make a pocket in the chicken breasts. Mix together all other ingredients in a bowl then stuff it into the chicken breast. Drizzle with olive oil. Salt and pepper the top.

10 fingerling potatoes
    1/2 yellow onion
    1 tbsp olive oil.

Cut potatoes in half, and roughly chop onions. Drizzle with olive oil. Salt and Pepper
    Ooh...that looks good and easy!
    Thanks!!
  • athearenee
    Options
    He might like Tamale casserole

1 tube of polenta (I usually use about 4/5 of the tube, and have some left over)
    1 can la preferida low fat refried black beans
    1lb laura's lean beef, browned (92/8)
    1 can red enchilada sauce (low fat)
    1/2 cup 2% shredded cheese (I use 4-cheese Mexican blend)

line bottom of 8x8 or 9x9 pan with 1/2 inch polenta rounds, top with half of the enchilada sauce, layer all of the refried beans, all of the beef, then top with the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. bake till heated through

4 servings

about
    453 calories
    47g carbs
    14g fat
    34g protein
    7g fiber
    I wonder if it would taste 'corn-y'
    I would love it though!!!
    Maybe I'll make it for my little sister...
    Thanks!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I mostly just cook whatever I want, I just remove the unnecessary extra fat and cals along the way. I guess one thing he loves is cajun-blackened catfish or tilapia. I do this on the grill outside using a cast-iron pan so that the house doesn't get all smoked up. He eats his on bread with cheese, I eat mine with a side salad and a veggie side dish. I could probably make this at least 3 times a week forever and he would never complain.

Another thing is enchiladas, we eat those probably at least once a week here. I just switched to using wilted fresh spinach (cooked in a bit of enchilada sauce so that it has a stronger flavor), some chunky salsa and a half-ounce stick of reduced-fat Jack cheese stuffed into each one. If I have them, I sautee some mushroom slices until very nicely caramelized all over and throw those in, too. Also a good quesadilla filling, and no complains on the reduced amount of cheese or the elimination of the fatty beef.

Good old spaghetti - just switched to whole wheat pasta, and I use half extra lean ground and half turkey italian sausage well-drained and skimmed of all possible fat. I like to thicken up the sauce by adding an extra can of tomato paste, which in theory is also good for his prostate (but don't tell him!)
  • AndiPandi687
    Options
    i have a rule in my house. YOU EAT WHAT I COOK! lol i guess i am kind of mean that way, but my hubby doesn't mind eating whatever i cook because he isn't all the picky (but if if i make something he doesn't like he eats it anyway but he knows he will go hungry if he doesn't).

my advice is...if you are the cook in the house cook what you want. your man will deal with it or he can start cooking some night.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    It's really ironic to me that we're all talking about our husbands as if they're picky toddlers who won't try anything.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My husband and I nearly always eat the same things for dinner so I'm not sure how to answer that. What does your husband eat now that he likes and is healthy, and what do you eat that he doesn't like?
  • AndiPandi687
    Options
    It's really ironic to me that we're all talking about our husbands as if they're picky toddlers who won't try anything.

my husband is only picky in one way...if a meal doesn't have meat he gets crabby! i told him during the summer when our veggie garden is ready to pick and eat that we are going meatless for a whole month because i want to see if we can do it and he says 'fine, then i either wont eat or i will go to a friends house for dinner!' sounded like something our 3 year old would say!
  • AndiPandi687
    Options
    i have a rule in my house. YOU EAT WHAT I COOK! lol i guess i am kind of mean that way, but my hubby doesn't mind eating whatever i cook because he isn't all the picky (but if if i make something he doesn't like he eats it anyway but he knows he will go hungry if he doesn't).

my advice is...if you are the cook in the house cook what you want. your man will deal with it or he can start cooking some night.

lol, that only works if you're sure he won't burn down the kitchen and if you're sure he'll clean up his own mess. I cook two different meals because he's a meat/potatoes/junk guy and I'm nearly vegan. So he would die if I refused to cook for him, or he'd live off of Doritos and then die.

understandable! i don't trust my husband to cook unless it's pancakes or eggs! Your man better treat you like gold if you are making two meals for dinner!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This is similar to the earlier mustard chicken:

Pecan Chicken

Pound boneless skinless chicken breast with a kitchen mallet until macerated.

Combine a goodly amount of dijon mustard and lime juice with a tsp or so of minced garlic

Dredge chicken in mustard mixture and then in chopped pecans.

Bake until done throughout, using a Pam-sprayed pan. The lime/mustard/pecan mix is great and really different, and if you want to cut the calories for yourself, you can spoon the pecans onto his plate.

Roasted Pork Tenderloin

In crockpot, combine 1 1/2 cup water with one package of onion soup mix.

Add pork roast and cook on high until done. I put the frozen roast in at 8 am, leave for work, and it is ready when I come home around 5:30. It falls apart into savory goodness.
  • juma4474
    juma4474 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My husband sounds like yours, he likes good old fashioned comfort food and none of it is good for my diet.

I have managed to come up with a few versions of his favorites that don't kill my diet and he loves them all. If you want the recipes for any of them, just let me know.

Italian Wedding Soup
    Picante Chicken
    Pennsylvania Dutch Burgers (they are little flat burgers in a brown grav) we usually serve them with baked potato's
    Tator Tot Hotdish (not my favorite, but my husband grew up on it, so I had to find a way to make it healthier)
    Parmesan Crusted Pork Chops
    Beef Stroganoff (I make this in the crock pot and then make the egg noddles right before we eat)
    and I have lots more if you are interested just let me know.
  • Manabug01
    Manabug01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Does he like fish? Me and my SO have Mahi Mahi about once a week, 100 cals per 4oz serving. Pan seared with skin on. The spices and herbs are the fun part as it never tastes the same twice usually. But lemon pepper and Basil Butter are the favs. For sides its always 1 veggie and 1 carb load (for him) like pasta or rice. I'm on a low-carb diet not him so as long as I make sure he has his carbs he's good and will eat anything I put in front of him. Thankfully he's not picky :bigsmile:

When he wants mashed potatoes I always make a "half and half" version. Half real potatoes, half steamed cauliflower so I can have at least a few tablespoons lol. I never told him and I know he won't have one single problem with it, but it passed the test and he's never said a word other than "Dang hon, these are good."

Baked chicken is another staple in our house. Split chicken breasts on sale for $0.98 a pound and I stock up. I love it because its so easy to make and even though we eat chicken 4 nights out of a week, it's always different. Does he like mushrooms? Throw a can of cream of mushroom over it with a sliced onion and/or mushrooms. Lower cal BBQ sauce (I make my own but there are some good ones out there). Use enough to kinda cover (1/3 cup) and bake. So many ways to do baked chicken, I love it. Easy way to get veggies too, throw it all in one roaster and there ya go. Dinner in under 1 hr usually.

When we have to do pasta, I use Dreamfields (again, im low carb). It tastes just as good as the rest IMHO. I'll make a homemade easy bolognese sauce and we have a whole dinner that's under 550 cals.

It is a struggle though. He needs to gain weight, and I need to lose so some of our meals are higher in fat but that works best for us. Not sure if any of that really helps, but I tried. Basic meals done a few different ways and that keeps us going. Good luck with a picky hub!