Laser Eye Surgery

Options
Not stricty about fitness, sorry, but was wondering if any of you have had laser eye surgery and what you thought about it?
I've been short-sighted forever, and currently wear daily disposable contact lenses quite happily. I never wear my glasses - can't stand them! From time to time I ponder having the surgery, but have never been brave enough.
Would love to hear your views. Thanks.

Replies

• opalstar
    Options
    I had laser eye surgery about five years ago. I had been short sighted too, with good close up vision for reading etc. I decided in the end just to have one eye done, so I would not have to wear glasses for close work. My distance vision is now almost perfect, and I can still read and sew without needing reading glasses. It worked out well for me.
    Getting it done was scary, but I love the results. I only wish I had done it sooner. I now only wear glasses when I drive, as my optician suggested this was a good idea.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Its 10 years since I had mine done - no regrets at all. You do have to be brave during the actual procedure, but it's very short.

Look at all the options - there are now a variety of techniques, my husband had replacement lens surgery last year, which is a wonderful new treatment. They are all expensive, but you do want to check out reliability, satisfied customers etc.
  • meekashay
    Options
    I've had it done about 7 years ago it was well worth it!!
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm guesing you've had your script done, so just check that you're within the limit for the surgery.

Here in Aus they'll only do laser on up to -7, might be 7.something.

My myopia is too strong to be corrected with laser so I'm stuck with contacts for another 10yrs+ until the permanent lens technique gains more understanding. :(
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm guesing you've had your script done, so just check that you're within the limit for the surgery.

My myopia is too strong to be corrected with laser so I'm stuck with contacts for another 10yrs+ until the permanent lens technique gains more understanding. :(

I didn't realise there was a limit. My worst eye is -5.75 so hopefully OK. That's a shame you can't get yours corrected. Sounds like you would definitely go for it then?
  • calamityshell
    Options
    Hi

I had it done in Nov 2011 with a similiar prescription to the OP. I now have 20/20 vision but there has been some issues with dry eyes that i am still having treatment for (just lots of eye drops and gel at night). I had the treatment and by the time I went to bed and woke up I had perfect vision (although a bit blood shot and manky).

If you want to know more send me a message and i will try to answer the best i can.

If I was you I would go for it - it has been great for me especially now it is winter and i don't steam up everytime i come inside from outdoors :)
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I had it done 5 years ago and am very glad I did it!

That being said, one thing they couldn't guarantee me was if I was going to need 'reading" glasses once I passed age 50, I would still need to use them.

Sure enough, as soon as I turned 50, I started having trouble reading and now use cheapie reading glasses for that, but that's only for reading!

I wore contacts for years and don't miss them a bit!! Do it!!
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear so many positive experiences! I will definitely look into this further. I'm having a routine eye test tomorrow so I shall chat to my optician then. I guess my concerns are two-fold. Firstly, same as everyone, I'm worried the op might go wrong. Secondly, I'm concerned that no one yet knows the long term effects of the surgery.

Thank you for all your helpful comments and advice.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I had it done last spring and it would do it again! I had to have a different procedure- PRK (common for very short folks), so it was VERY painful and still worth it!
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The best time to get Lasik is in your mid 20's when your prescription has stablized. This will give you a good twenty years of good vision. Once you pass 40, your eyes start to age and reading glasses will be necessary.

Dry eyes are common after Lasik, so that is something to consider.

Sometimes you have to go back for a tweak...or two, or three.

Talk to your optometrist. If you are a potential candidate, he/she can refer you to an ophthalmologist who specializes in Lasik.

Do your homework, ask questions, assess the risks. These are your eyes and the only ones you have, and this is considered cosmetic surgery. (Sorry, I work for an eye doc and I felt professionally compelled to add that :smile: )
  • clemsontiger78
    clemsontiger78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had it done here in VA about four years ago and my worst eye was -11.5. The doc here just does not guarantee 20/20 at that level. My right was corrected to 20/15 and my left was corrected to 20/30. I see 20/20 with both. Even though I don't have super hero vision now, I would still do it again. It is much better than living life legal blind without correction! Go to several places that do the free screenings and then research those. I had mine done by the doc that does them for the f-18 pilots in the navy, so did not research as much. I had the non-cutting procedure done. They gave me an ambien the night before and then a diazepam for the actual procedure. Then he sent me home with drops and sleeping pills/pain pills to take for 48 hours. You aren't in pain, but you feel like a grain of sand is in your eye. With this procedure, you don't come out seeing 20/20. As you blink, you eyelid buffs down the laser cuttings and then bam....hello vision world :)
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I actually just had LASIK a little over a month ago, and I could not be happier! I am already seeing 20/20.
    In regards to the procedure itself, I was obviously very apprehensive and nervous...because I mean, your eyeballs are getting lasered, who wouldn't be, LOL... but the whole surgery took 10 minutes, and was painless (due to the large amount of numbing drops they put in your eyes.) During the procedure you do feel preasure, and its a little uncomfortable, but no pain.

All in all, I am thrilled with the results and it was hands down the best decision I ever made!!! I highly recomend getting it done.

If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to message me!!!

-Melissa
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I would add that you should check the after care package just in case there are any complications (I'm an eye nurse). Most people I've met who have had it done think its brilliant but I would just suggest caution as it is a permanent procedure and like the other person said it is a form of cosmetic surgery. Check out a variety of treatment centres to find one that suits you.
  • DebRives
    DebRives Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had it done. I had been wearing contacts for the better part of two decades. When I turned forty I started needing reading glasses. So I needed two forms of corrective lens to read anything! :laugh:

When I hit forty five suddenly I could not keep them on my eyes for more than 6 hours. My eyes were dry and itching. I kept my glasses in my purse at all times for when I couldn’t take it any longer and had to remove the contacts. It came to a point I wouldn’t even wear eye makeup because I would just rub it off by noon. My doctor said it’s not an uncommon symptom of pre menopause. So I looked into laser surgery. Because of my age I did the mono vision. I did the right for distance vision and the left eye for close up. I has worked out well for me.

Just a FYI, if you are squeamish about your eyes, as I am, brace yourself for this procedure. When I came out of the doctor’s office, my husband asked my how it went and I answered with one word…Brutal! It was a ten minute procedure but it’s like a waking nightmare. That said, I would do it again in a heartbeat!
  • Ro0kins_Wedding
    Options
    I have thought about it but I actualy love wearing glases too much.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    LOVE my laser vision!

Don't so much love that it's starting to fade. I had it done probably about 12 years ago. They told me my corneas were too thin to have it tweaked, so one shot only. I swear if I have to go back to glasses..:sad:
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Without any reservations, it was the best money I've ever spent in my life.

I had Lasix done about 12 years ago. My vision was fixed to about 15/20 (better than average 20/20) and I had no issues or complications.

Good luck!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I had it done back in 2007. First of all, it was a breeze. They offered everyone waiting for the procedure a valium, so that made it even easier. The procedure takes maybe 10 minutes total. I layed back on a table, they held my eyes open, and I had to stare into some laser for a few moments. All that felt like was a little pressure on the eye. Nothing bad whatsoever. Then, they took me to a room where I stared at a red dot while you see some little "zaps" through your peripheral vision. Then it's over. Piece of cake really.

The only thing I recommend is do whatever you can to avoid light for the first 4 hours or so after. I mean, I wrapped a black blanket around my effing head because even keeping my eyes closed was too bright! After about 4 hours, your vision is sharper, but it's still hazy. The haze wears off in a day or so.

Either way, it's awesome. I recommend it to anyone.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I'm with you there... hoping the lens replacement technique gets more accepted and SOON - they've been using it to treat cataracts for years, how about giving us nearly-blind folks some help, too? :)
  • MKCSFX
    MKCSFX Posts: 24
    Options
    I had it about 4 years ago...BEST DECISION EVER!!!!!!!!!

Recovery was not bad...day after surg it felt like I had sand in my eyes...third day it was gone and I've never had any problems.

I do have to wear 1.25 drugstore reading glasses at times (menus in not well lit resturants, long time reading) but my distance vision is 20/10!!!

DO IT...