Has anyone used diet pills or supplements to help them along

Options
Hi all, Im just wondering id anyone has used any diet pills or supplements to help them along on there journey at all?

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Most of the "diet pills" are just fancy vitamins laced with caffeine.
    It's a scam.
  • skinny4summer12
    Options
    even at holland and barrat? obvs at the gym i can buy ephedrine but not sure i fancy those, althop they seem to be the rage. what do you think are the best protein shakes for women?
  • Miatta81
    Options
    There are no quick fixes people!!!!!! Just think of it as a lifestyle change. Put in the work and the results will follow!
  • skinny4summer12
    Options
    yeh i just need abit more energy, exercising every day is taking its toll, altho wonder if im better with a protein shake to help with recovery?
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Indeed its the caffeine based ones I tried. i gave 'fat blaster' a go for 4 months. Did lose 15 kgs but put it all back on when I stopped taking them. The big dif is moving this time. Making the effort to do proper exercise rather than a quick fix in a tablet. It put my blood pressure out of whack also. Happy to say I've lost 10 kgs using a bike this time and eating right. Anything you have to 'start and then stop' will mean it just comes back. making changes for a permanent lifestyle fix up will be better as it lasts more permanently and isn't a quick fix method. Hope you can find more natural methods for increasing your metabolism so it motivates you to want to get moving a little each day. Coming off the tablets was an extreme energy killer. I wanted to sleep rather than move. best of luck, supplements can benefit your weight loss but the best method overall really truly is doing some fitness each day. Hope you find something that is fun and you are motivated to keep with things. Have fun!
  • jkd1214
    Options
    Drinking ViSalus shakes and loving them!!
  • Trinketona
    Options
    I took some last September of 2010 and lost 13 pounds in a month. I was only sleeping 3 hours a day. I was never hungry, and had a lot of energy. But it was hell. I could go 2 days without eating just drinking LOTS of water I had to eat even though I wasnt hungry cause I knew it was bad. By October I had lost 15 pounds but my personality changed because of the lack of sleep and food. I could never sleep and my eyes always hurt and had cotton mouth. NEVER AGAIN!!!!:sick:
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used Alili before-- can't really say if it worked per se-- but it does have nasty-- literally nasty--side effects
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Tried Alli, made my heart race. Thought it was giving me energy, but I just crashed after and ate like a big. Tried one other pill I got form drug store. Worked similarly and made my heart race. I also found that even though I was working out, I was not getting “fit” if that makes sense. I just abandoned them.
  • glenndanzig
    glenndanzig Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i use trader joe's chocolate flavored organic hemp protein powder dietary supplement with almond milk for a vegan protein drink. it also helps boost my calorie intake for the day since i sometimes struggle to meet my minimum.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    yeh i just need abit more energy, exercising every day is taking its toll, altho wonder if im better with a protein shake to help with recovery?
    Check you're eating enough - set your MFP setting to lose no more than 1lb a week and eat all or a good proportion of your exercise calories. Maybe open your diary so we can advise better?

If you're working out hard, have at least one day off a week, or make it "active rest" - walking of gentle swimming etc.

Don't fall for the diet pill scam, only a tiny proportion of Holland and Barratt supplements are backed up by any seriously regarded scientific study and nothing will make you lose without a calorific deficit. Otherwise we'd all be down there and no-one would be fat!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    even at holland and barrat? obvs at the gym i can buy ephedrine but not sure i fancy those, althop they seem to be the rage. what do you think are the best protein shakes for women?
    I like the Whey Protein smoothies, and I hear soy is good for ladies in that it regulates estrogen some kind of way.
    My wife tells be that which only made me want to avoid soy - one sip and I grow boobs?

:bigsmile:
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have tried loads. Alli - if you reduce your fat content you will lose weight anyway and no side effects and no expense. I felt bloated on them. Appesat sent my BP through the roof. Many of them need to be used with a calorie controlled diet which will work anyway.

I wouldnt bother, they are a waste of money and can be dangerous.
  • glass2diamonds
    Options
    I am currently taking phentermine (doctor perscribed) since November. I was/am an over eater. I have never been this way until the last year and its emotional eating. I have lost as of today a total of 24.4 pounds. I feel I have to work even harder toward my goal because I know next month will be my last 30 day supply for a few months(as to not become dependent).
    I restrict my calorie intake and exercise like it is my second job.I know this is just me but I am willing to trade sodas, sweet tea (raised in the south in the US), pies, cake and all other sweets to be able to be healthy again.
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would not recomend. Even the so called herbal/natural ones contain stuff that is cardiac stimulants. VERY dangerous.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I use the 100% whey protein from walmart, 200 mg milk thistle, 200 mg chromium polynicotinate, vitamin B-12, and cinnamon (I have a very low metabolism). the polynicotinate has really help curb my sweet tooth. But basically you try a few things and then use what works for you.
  • skinny4summer12
    Options
    Thanks everyone, my diary is now public for those who asked.

i do 1-2 hours exercise everyday...having today off tho because i am so tired.

exercise is aerobis classes, spinning and strength classes.

really struggled with spin last night because i was so tired so just wondered if any pills would help, but i will leave them as i do want to do this the healthy way and im not looking for a quick fix, just more energy for my workouts.
  • skinny4summer12
    Options
    think i am just going to try a whey protein shake in the evening after my wokout(poosibly use it as a meal replacement for my dinner aswel as i dont get to eat until about 8.30- 9pm in the evening
  • skinny4summer12
    Options
    Check you're eating enough - set your MFP setting to lose no more than 1lb a week and eat all or a good proportion of your exercise calories. Maybe open your diary so we can advise better?

If you're working out hard, have at least one day off a week, or make it "active rest" - walking of gentle swimming etc.

Don't fall for the diet pill scam, only a tiny proportion of Holland and Barratt supplements are backed up by any seriously regarded scientific study and nothing will make you lose without a calorific deficit. Otherwise we'd all be down there and no-one would be fat!

Thanks everyone, my diary is now public for those who asked.

i do 1-2 hours exercise everyday...having today off tho because i am so tired.

exercise is aerobis classes, spinning and strength classes.

really struggled with spin last night because i was so tired so just wondered if any pills would help, but i will leave them as i do want to do this the healthy way and im not looking for a quick fix, just more energy for my workouts.

think i am just going to try a whey protein shake in the evening after my wokout(poosibly use it as a meal replacement for my dinner aswel as i dont get to eat until about 8.30- 9pm in the evening
  • skinny4summer12
    Options
    I like the Whey Protein smoothies, and I hear soy is good for ladies in that it regulates estrogen some kind of way.
    My wife tells be that which only made me want to avoid soy - one sip and I grow boobs?

:bigsmile:

hahahahaha

thanks i will look into it