Breakfast: mixing carbs and protein

Options
I read through the thread on suggestions for a protein breakfast, good stuff! I love my fried eggs, but have been having a single piece of wholemeal toast with them. It just seems like I get hungry otherwise! I throw a bit of smoked salmon on there too if that's around. Question is should I drop the toast and just do the protein? Does it really matter?

Replies

• stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    No, carbs are excellent fuel. I typically carb up at breakfast and stay away from them as the day goes on - it's just what my body needs.

For instance, my breakfast was: 1/4 cup oat bran (carb-heavy) with 1 tablespoon PB and 4oz Greek yogurt with 1/2 tablespoon PB and flax seeds. Good mix of carbs/fat/protein. The rest of my meals tend to be protein heavy, and I stick with fruits/veggies for snacks, which gives me more natural carbs.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Why not have eggs? Protein is always good.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Why not have eggs? Protein is always good.

OP said she does have eggs, she just likes toast with them.
  • poponastick302
    poponastick302 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Not at all. That sounds like such a tasty and healthy breakfast - and good on you for using wholemeal!
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thanks for the good advice! I like the idea of more carbs in the morning (two pieces of toast!) but more protein as the day goes on. I don't really have any issues taking things like bread and potatoes out of my diet -- but I do love toast with my eggs. :happy: