HELP!!!

Options
Okay, I am fairly new to MPT, and have been working out and eating right religiously for the past three weeks. I know three weeks isn't a long time, but I went from NEVER working out and eating whatever I wanted to working out every morning 6 days a week (burning atleast 700 cal/wrkout) and eating healthy and I have only lost three pounds. I know I should be happy, but I just expected to see faster results. I am starting to get discouraged because I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I always eat atleast my 1200 calories and sometimes eat my workout calories and sometimes don't. Is that my problem? I'm confused...some people say eat them and some people say dont. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Replies

• nbass
    nbass Posts: 10
    Options
    Okay, I am fairly new to MPT, and have been working out and eating right religiously for the past three weeks. I know three weeks isn't a long time, but I went from NEVER working out and eating whatever I wanted to working out every morning 6 days a week (burning atleast 700 cal/wrkout) and eating healthy and I have only lost three pounds. I know I should be happy, but I just expected to see faster results. I am starting to get discouraged because I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I always eat atleast my 1200 calories and sometimes eat my workout calories and sometimes don't. Is that my problem? I'm confused...some people say eat them and some people say dont. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
  • weasleman42
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may have to wait a little longer to see results in weight. Have you tracked your measurements? Good luck!
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You should always make sure you eat at least 1200 calories. You should make sure that you get as close to that suggested calorie intake number, if you have your goals set right. So if you have eaten the right amount of calories, but then you workout and work off 120 calories, for example, you should eat them back to meet your goal. But after you workout, if you are still over 1200 calories, you can still lose weight, but it will be more weight lost than your goal. You just have to make sure you're not starving yourself by not getting enough nutrition.
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i would say hang in there. sometimes it takes a little bit of time before your body catches up to the working out. For what it is worth, and i always hate to hear it, 1 to 2 pounds a week is the heathly way to lose weight. Look at 3 pounds as a victory! After you lose the next 2 pounds (which will go fast), go to the store and look at 5 pond bag of potatos...pick one up and be thrilled that you have lost that much already! hang in there!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    A pound a week sounds about right. How much are you trying to lose?
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    a pound a week is fine, actually dr. recommended. 1.5 pounds is considered aggressive and 2 lbs is highly aggresive. Besides...slow and steady does win the race, especially when it comes to long term weight loss maintenance. :drinker:
  • batc
    batc Posts: 6
    Options
    The scale can often be the root of a problem (mentally). you should weigh yourself 1st thing in the morning once in a week. This should give you a more accurate reading with some history behind you.

3 weeks is nothing for time, although not to be discounted, the tone in your post was that you where frustrated already. Get to know where you are doing the right things and do more of them than the other.

I personally feel that you should never eat the calories that you spend burning. Structure your intake so that you fuel the body and not your mind. You have only just started the journey, the steps you will go thru now will make you stronger to combat the challenges ahead of you in this endeavor.
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you are eating around 1200 cals per day and are burning up 700 cals in excercise, that means you only have about 500 cals left over for basic function. You need at least 1200 cals for your body to function or it will go into starvation mode. You will also lose muscle mass, not fat at this point. You should eat more....

Hope that helps!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You are right on track having lost 3 pounds in three weeks as you should be losing a pound a week. Some people do two pounds a week but that's really only recommended in they are very obese and have a lot of weight to lose.

My goals are set to a pound a week and sure, some weeks I end up losing 2 or 1.5, but on average it's one a week. Losing weight the right way is never going to drop massive weight all at once, but it is much more likely that you'll keep it off by learning a new lifestyle.

Think of it this way, losing slowly at one pound a week will help you keep from getting too much saggy skin since rapid weight loss in large amounts can definitely cause that. I've lost 35 and I don't think there is any noticeable spot on my body that looks saggy, so just be patient and it will come off, slow but steady.
  • nbass
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the advice, while I am frustrated, I also realize that 3 weeks isn't long and that 1 lb. a week is "healthy". It's just difficult going from one extreme (very unhealthy lifestyle) to the other to not have high expectations. However, I feel much better and know I am getting back in shape...I rode my horse non-stop for an hour and wasn't tired at all. I appreciate everyone's support.
  • nbass
    Options
    Oh, and my goal is 33 lbs