Confused over Shakeology and other meal replacement drinks..

Options
I've recently started looking into Shakeology. I've heard all the stories about how "magical" it is, and I have to say that they peaked my interest. I did a search in the forums, but didn't really get the info I was looking for. I personally am looking for a meal replacement that will give me a healthy amount of veggies (don't know if this actually exists or not). I am trying to lose weight, and work out 30-40 minutes a day. I don't think I need something that is crammed with a ton of protien as I'm not working out hard core (besides I get plenty of protien from food anyway). I really lack in the fruit/veggie department though. So I guess my questions are:

1.) Is there a shake out there like what I'm looking for (one that tastes good would be a huge bonus)?

2.) Would a multi vitamin cover this? And if so, what are the benefits of adding in one of these shakes?

3.) What makes Shakeology better than other shakes based on it's high price? I know it has all kinds of ingredients in it, but can these ingredients not be found in something else that's cheaper?

I was looking on the beachbody website and it says you don't need any training/experience to become a BB Coach. That makes me hesitant to trust the company because I sort of feel like the product may be pushed on me so a BB Coach can get their shakes free and a commission off of what I buy without actually knowing about the product. :huh: Not saying that is the case with all BB Coaches, just expressing my concern here.

Thanks to anyone who can answer any of these questions!!

Replies

• wmchick81
    Options
    Let me see if I can help you out. Shakeology is a meal replacement shake. I have it every morning for breakfast. It is full of nutrients and vitamins that your body needs. It does help curb cravings later in the day. It helps regulate your digestion, lose weight, and gives you more energy. You cannot get all the same nutrients in another meal replacement shake. It does actually taste good, and I have some amazing recipes you can try if you decide to order. One of the best perks is that if you decide you don't like it for any reason within the first 30 days they will refund your money!! I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is crap. Sorry. It's a pyramid business, and that's all. I tried it, and it's not any good. I can tell you about other meall replacement drinks that are a million times better.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    Well, you can order shakeology without going through a coach. When I first tried that stuff I was not a fan. I didn't understand the fuss. Then somebody gave me another sample and said to try the Butterfinger Blizzard shake and omg was it delicious!!

Of course, I'd definitely be open to cheaper alternatives, too lol. I used to drink Shakeology daily, but now I rarely have one. I've been finding myself craving it lately. Yummy butterfinger goodness
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The thing with meal replacement shakes, is you need to be extra careful on getting balanced meals when you are eating food. Most are designed to give you part of what you need in a day, and pretty balanced as well. I suggest taking a multivitamin no matter what. It's healthy for someone on a restricted calorie diet. Just to ensure you get everything you need! No harm there.
    I use shakes through my doctor's office, it's about $8 a day ($56 a week). I don't see it as paying a lot of money for food, I see it as helping me getting healthy. And if you think about it, where else do you pay $2 a meal, and eat 5 times a day?
  • Ryan_Marie_
    Ryan_Marie_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not to mention you aren't really spending a whole lot more cause you won't have to buy certain foods.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I can help you out. Shakeology is a meal replacement shake. I have it every morning for breakfast. It is full of nutrients and vitamins that your body needs. It does help curb cravings later in the day. It helps regulate your digestion, lose weight, and gives you more energy. You cannot get all the same nutrients in another meal replacement shake. It does actually taste good, and I have some amazing recipes you can try if you decide to order. One of the best perks is that if you decide you don't like it for any reason within the first 30 days they will refund your money!! I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have!

I agree with you here. I love it and it kept me full from breakfast to lunch with no problems. It also helped a lot with my digestion and energy levels. Honestly I didn't start using it until I was at my goal weight so I can't say what "magical" work it does for that but I love it and it's worth it. A lot of people complain about the price but then again it is the same people I know that will drink away about $50 in alcohol at the bar too! It's all in what you like and your preference. I like it and you don't need a coach to buy it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Shakeology (implying the study of shakes) is nothing more than an MLM business preying on the lack of knowledge of those who are introduced to Beach Body. The workout programs are fine, but then this "magical" shake can vastly make the difference. There has been some good investigation by ACG on this and he has shown better (and much less expensive) ways to use your money for protein and meal supplement replacement.
    To pay $3-$4 for a shake compared to $1 or less for other meal replacement shakes is how the "upline" in an MLM make their money. They make their money on overcharging the users (coaches) to support their income. Why pay others (who aren't even involved with assisting or helping you) hard earned money?
    That $120 a month can go to real food for a week or even paying half the cost for a very comparable product.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395149-shakeology?error_user_id=9285851&error_username=ninerbuff&hl=shakeology+over+priced&page=6

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I love Shakeology (I don't sell it by the way). Like posted early the butterfinger shake is delicious. I can have this and I feel like I have cheated at eating healthy. It is full of vitamins, I feel fuller longer then any other meal replacement shakes I have tried, and it keeps me regular (which is big for me). As with any other shake you want your other meals to be healthy. I'm a chocoholic and the chocolate shakeo is my favorite. You can add whatever you want to it for lots of variety.

Everyone is different however so maybe you could try a trial sample for a week or so and see what you think. I believe it is sold in trial packages, but I'm not positive about this.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.
  • wmchick81
    Options
    You can buy trial packs if you are interested in trying a few day supply.
  • GolladayFit
    Options
    I love Shakeology! I was really skeptical at first. I loved Beachbody workouts, but I wasn't so sure about Shakeology. I thought it was too expensive and wasn't sure it would do anything for me. I tried it in December 2011 for the first time. I lost 7 pounds in December, which was awesome since I usually gain weight during the holidays. It helped me have more energy, feel overall better and have stronger nails and hair. I'm a huge fan now. I've had it every day since!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I love Shakeology! I was really skeptical at first. I loved Beachbody workouts, but I wasn't so sure about Shakeology. I thought it was too expensive and wasn't sure it would do anything for me. I tried it in December 2011 for the first time. I lost 7 pounds in December, which was awesome since I usually gain weight during the holidays. It helped me have more energy, feel overall better and have stronger nails and hair. I'm a huge fan now. I've had it every day since!

You lost weight because you ate at a deficit.

Nice Zombie bump though.
  • klynshoe
    klynshoe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out Body by Vi (Vi-Shape) nutritional shakes. Not cheap, but its tasty with low sugar (<1g), 12g protein, 5g fiber and all your vitamins. You say you're just doing light exercise, which is fine, but just know that any results you're looking for will HAVE to come from what you're eating. You're probably only burning around 200-300 calories a day from your exercise.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out Body by Vi (Vi-Shape) nutritional shakes. Not cheap, but its tasty with low sugar (<1g), 12g protein, 5g fiber and all your vitamins. You say you're just doing light exercise, which is fine, but just know that any results you're looking for will HAVE to come from what you're eating. You're probably only burning around 200-300 calories a day from your exercise.

Another over priced MLM company.....

http://www.davidmodderman.com/blog/index.php/weight-loss/body-by-vi-is-it-all-hype/

http://www.lazymanandmoney.com/visalus-scam/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Namok1hVizQ
  • ahall65
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

You would say all that stuff because your website says you sell it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.
    Or just give correct information to those who desire it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    If you are looking for more vegetables,

Try drinking tomato juice or vegetable juices.

Just check the labels to see what is actually in them.

This wouldn't be a meal replacement just an addition to a meal.
  • loopysgirl
    Options
    After much research, for me personally I decided to juice my own fruits and vegetables. Super healthy and I lost weight. I currently just ended my second week of a four week juice fast. To date I have lost 11 lbs but more importantly I have lost 3" off my waist and hips. That's 3" off each, not total. During a juice fast it is not recommended to do strenuous exercise. I have done none. My goal is to finish the four week fast and then continue to eat a more healthy diet and substitute one meal a day with a nutrient heavy juice. I feel great thus far. Hope that helps.
  • nwkurzrep
    Options
    Well then, why don't you as opposed to just calling it "crap"?
  • nwkurzrep
    Options
    That is ideal, but super expensive and time consuming if you were to actually get the correct balance of nutrients.