Muscle soreness

Any suggestions on what to do?? I just started a 4x week bootcamp and my body is SO sore. I am walking really really funny! Lol help!!

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Eat, drink, rest, and stretch.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 741 Member
    Ice bath!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    I'm a fan of active recovery. Go for a walk, stretch, eat something with some potassium/electrolytes to help battle the muscle cramps (i.e. banana, coconut water, etc) and be sure to drink lots of water!
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Get some epsom salt and put it in your bath and soak! Also drink lots of water and stretch a lot! Hope you feel better, I know how you feel!
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    I go for a yoga or stretching class at the gym when I am feeling sore.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Eat, drink, rest, and stretch.

^ This, and additionally OP, your soreness will likely diminish over time. When you first start working out, DOMS is sometimes quite intense and painful. It gets better over time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I'm a fan of active recovery. Go for a walk, stretch, eat something with some potassium/electrolytes to help battle the muscle cramps (i.e. banana, coconut water, etc) and be sure to drink lots of water!

This. Working the muscles will increase blood flow, which will help with the inflammation.

Get some epsom salt and put it in your bath and soak! Also drink lots of water and stretch a lot! Hope you feel better, I know how you feel!

I've also had good luck with epsom salts when I was especially sore.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    My Chiropractor recommends a HOT bath with 8oz of Epsom Salt + 8oz of Baking soda every night for as long as pain persists.

Hope it helps. Also, Aspercream! You will smell like a nursing home, but I SWEAR it works!

And I agree with the poster above, keep moving.

:flowerforyou:
  • Lauren (the one we actually like :-D) recommended to take an epsom salt bath. I will probably try one this weekend sometime. You are more than welcome to come borrow my tub if you like! :) Ibuprofen and LOTS of water usually helps me too.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    I am a fan of tons of water, lots of stretching... and also active recovery, so I love to swim, it gets me moving, I don't feel sore and it is usually a form of a "cool bath" so it helps my muscles recover.

The worst thing you can do when you are sore is stay still, you don't have to workout but keep moving, and stretch stretch stretch, some ibuprophen will help to, reduces inflammation and pain.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    I find eating more protein when I am really sore helps a lot!
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Make sure you are fueling your muscles for recovery. Your body needs amino acids to repair muscle. Depending on how you feel about supplements, you can either get those from whole foods or a supplement. I just started using a complex amino acid chain supplement taken immediately before my workout and immediately after and I don't get as sore as I used to. I'm one of those freaks who LOVES to be sore, though... it lets me know I worked hard. However, I want to make sure my muscles aren't suffering from not fueling them properly.