calories and low body weights

Options
-SORRY, POSTED THIS ON THE WRONG TOPIC SO RE-POSTING!-

i know this is an odd question, but it's late at night over here and i'm pondering! everyone's saying you have to eat a minimum of 1200 cals a day else you wont lose as much weight as you could, but what happens if you're looking to go to a low body weight? getting down to 95 - 100lbs, surely that can't possibly be done on 1200 cals or more a day, they've got to be a lot lower. i'm so confused about it!

i've been told (by a nutritionist, and a personal trainer) that i should be looking at 14% body fat, which is in the athletic range, but i dont think i could get that low on 1200 cals or more.

surely a calorie intake like that will only get you down so far, if you want to push your body slimmer than it's "natural, default weight" then <1200 cals is the only way to do that? i cant see how eating more food than ever will make me lose weight...

i'm just so confused!

Replies

• FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I got this article from a forum on starvation mode. Hope this helps:

Are You In The Starvation Mode or Starving For Truth?
    Written by j.novick
    Saturday, 03 January 2009 19:23
    Recently we discussed the myth that dieting can lead to an eating disorders and saw this common dieting myth was in accurate. Another common dieting myth held by people is that they may not be losing weight because they are in the "starvation mode" from eating to few calories. And, in response to the intake of this low calorie level, their body has gone into "starvation mode" and slowed down their metabolism and is holding on to the weight. The usual recommendation to get out of starvation mode and allow the body to lose more weight, is to consume more calories. Eat more calories, to lose more weight.

Really?

Well, for anyone struggling to lose weight, this may sound sensible, but as you will see, it, like most other dieting myths, it is inaccurate. A few things to consider before we get to the "starvation mode."

First, the human body, as is our world, is governed by the laws of physics. Body weight is a product of energy balance. We can not violate the laws of physics and thermodynamics. The energy we consume must go somewhere and to maintain a certain level of weight, and equivalent amount of energy must be consumed and an equilibrium must be achieved.

Second, in regard to metabolism, about >70% of our base metabolism is driven by our brain and other vital organs and is not really effected by food consumption as I discussed in the metabolism blog. We have little impact on this basal metabolic rate.

Third, most attempts to accurately track food consumption under report (intentionally and/or not intentionally) by about 30 and attempts to tract exercise and activities levels over report by up to 50%. Even professionals can be as much as 30% off or more. This is usually part of the problem tat people are not accurately determining their caloric intake and output.

Now, in regard to the "starvation" mode, someone who has extra body weight and body fat is not in any "starvation mode" where they need to 'kick start" their metabolism by eating more calories. You can not "eat more" calories to force your body to "lose weight".

In regard to metabolism, if you are overweight/overfat, you can not cause your metabolism to decrease below a level needed to lose weight while you have extra weight/fat on you, and you can not "lose more weight by eating more calories/food." This is a misunderstanding of the principles of metabolism that does not apply to overweight people trying to lose weight.

Let's say we look at someone who says they are only eating only 800 calories and not losing weight. A well meaning and good intentioned friend (or professional) has told them they are in starvation mode and in order to lose weight and/or kick-start their metabolism, they need to eat more. But, what if instead of eating more, what do you think would happen if instead they just stopped eating altogether? Would they go further into starvation mode and continue to stay at the same weight or maybe even "gain" weight?

Clearly, they would lose more weight if they stopped eating altogether.

We all know (especially those who are familiar with fasting) that if you were to stop eating completely and just live on pure water, you would start to lose weight almost instantly and would continue to do so.

But according to this theory of the "starvation mode," if you were really in it and you fasted, by its own rational you would lose less weight if any at all, not more. We know this is not accurate.

So, where did this myth come from?

There is a true phenomenon known as the starvation response and it is well documented in the Minnesota Starvation experiments and the Hunger Fasts that have been studied. However, it only happens in humans when they lose enough body fat that they fall below the level of essential fat. In a man, this would be below around 5% fat and in women just above that.

Most humans will look like holocaust survivors at that time. Here is a picture of some of the subjects from the famous Minnesota Starvation experiments from the 1940s. Even at this point, after months of a low calorie diet with heavy exercise, they were not yet in the so-called "starvation mode" where they experienced significant metabolic changes. If you have more weight/fat on you then them, then neither are you

In addition, when this point is truly reached, the body does make several metabolic shifts to preserve itself and if it is not feed more calories, can cease to exist. It is a matter of life and death. Hence the name.

This is not the same thing that happens when someone who is overweight and has a high percentage of body fat, is not losing weight. Usually it is due to an inaccurate assesment of their energy balance.

Now, it is possible that a medical condition, like hypothyroid could contribute to a slowed metabolism. However, if someone was to have a thyroid problem, it is easy to diagnose and can be easily treated. But, then we are right back to my points above and dealing with an energy balance issue.

So, if you are overweight and/or overfat and not losing weight, the most important thing to do is re-evaluate your energy balance. And the best way to do this is to focus on foods that are low in calorie density (and high in nutrient density) and mantain a healthy level of activity.

In Health
    Jeff

If you have fat to loose then you wont ever be starving. But if your BMI is under weight then you really shouldn't try and consume less calories just enough to maintain weight.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I got from 117 to 111 while eating anywhere between 1400 and 2000 cals a day. That's not taking away my exercise cals though.

I don't know how people can survive on less than 1200 cals seriously. I mean I have a day once in a blue moon where I only consume 1200 cals, but I can't imagine living like that every day.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people can survive on less than 1200 cals seriously. I mean I have a day once in a blue moon where I only consume 1200 cals, but I can't imagine living like that every day.

I haven't gotten to 1200 calories in a week. I can't handle more than a certain amount of food or I'll throw up. I happen to eat meals low in calories that are very filling for me and I eat at most 950 calories/day (rarely do I exceed 1000). That's not net calories, that's just straight up calories. I don't feel sick eating less than 1200 calories/day, I'm not dizzy, I don't get headaches. Occasionally my blood sugar drops if I haven't eaten in a while, but I'll have a clementine and it's back to normal. Of course, when I would binge I would likely eat well over 1200 calories, but ever since I've stopped, I do get sick if I eat more than 3 meals a day. I have lost weight eating 800 calories/day and I've maintained my weight before at about 1000 calories/day. I tried eating 1200 calories/day for a while and I ended up gaining weight.
  • FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    @kylesmommy89 You burned 3158 calories last week from exercise. If you were not doing this level of activity you would be able to maintain your weight by only consuming 1200 calories. The article takes into account fat that needs to be lost with people who are already over weight. Starvation mode takes place when there is no fat to burn and your taking in a calorie deficet. Your body would shut down if you were burning 3158 and only consuming 1200.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the small stuff.

You have the rest of your life to get where you want to be.

Try the 1200 minimum for a few months and see how it goes. If you have to, increase your exercise.

If that doesn't work you can always lower your food intake for a month or two and see how your body reacts.

Just take it easy and see how you react to changes in your diet and exercise and try not to be impatient.