Protein seems so low

Options
It seems that everyday ive been going over on my protein. MFP says I am allowed 64g. If I have a chicken breast (no skin) for dinner, thats all the protein I can have for the day. That just doesnt seem right. What to do??

Replies

• mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It seems that everyday ive been going over on my protein. MFP says I am allowed 64g. If I have a chicken breast (no skin) for dinner, thats all the protein I can have for the day. That just doesnt seem right. What to do??
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, so PLEASE do your own research.

That being said, through the advice of a trainer and a nutritionist, I eat about 25% protein a day. I've heard various recommendations that are higher or lower, but this seems to be a balanced amount for me. That leaves me 25% for fat (I love me some peanut butter and olive oil) (not at the same time) and 50% carbs, which for me are mostly fruits and vegetables.

You can adjust the percentages under "my goals". "custom".

Hope that helps.
    :flowerforyou:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I always go over on my protein and I am still losing weight. So if you are still losing then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It is quite low for an active population, so don't worry about eating more than that. For some reason no one's thought to update the American Dietetics Association rules since the 60's. :grumble: I even got into it with my exercise prescription teacher because she swears up and down that anything less than 50% of calories from carbs is too low. That coming from a teacher who thought there were 7 calories in a gram of protein! (There are 4). :mad: 25-40% calories from protein is much more reasonable and sensible.
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings to 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs. I've been losing just fine and I have been eating like a queen, or at least it feels like it.

:flowerforyou:
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys!! I think I got it figured out. I adjusted to 55 c, 20f, and 25p and it seems to be just right. Just changing it by 5% made such a difference so now im not worried about it!
  • porter1740
    Options
    Where do you change the settings? The protein is really low. Thanks!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can eat more than it allows.

The general rule for non-athletes is .8g/kg of body weight a day. Athletes go for 1.2 - 1.7. Many people choose to eat more than they need, though. A little extra won't hurt you.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    MFP sets a very low protein goal... Too low if you're lifting at all. I'm a smallish chic and I eat over 100 grams.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The protein goal is a minimum, not a maximum, and I agree it's on the low side. You can set your macros to whatever works best for you.