Daily Calorie Needs Calculator ????

Options
72lori
72lori Posts: 6,753 Member
First off, let me say, I know these are an estimate, I know that you can't punch in numbers and get an exact amount of calories you burn each day. I am trying to come up with a reasonable cycling pattern for my calories and wanted to know approximately what my daily calorie needs are to maintain so I could figure out a realistic and healthy deficit....

Anyway! My question. Is there a formula for this? I've gone to 6 different websites and gotten, you guessed it, 6 different numbers.

I'm 5'5", currently 159 pounds, marked moderately active on all sites (work out 4 to 5 days a week), 36 years old. Entered the same thing on every site.

Results varied for my maintenance calories: 2050, 2150, 2190, 2286, 2300, 2674

I was surprised, any website I got to and enter my info to calculate BMI are going to tell me the same thing. I guess I assumed there was a formula to determine calorie needs too, but apparently, it depends on the source!

Replies

• 72lori
    Options
    First off, let me say, I know these are an estimate, I know that you can't punch in numbers and get an exact amount of calories you burn each day. I am trying to come up with a reasonable cycling pattern for my calories and wanted to know approximately what my daily calorie needs are to maintain so I could figure out a realistic and healthy deficit....

Anyway! My question. Is there a formula for this? I've gone to 6 different websites and gotten, you guessed it, 6 different numbers.

I'm 5'5", currently 159 pounds, marked moderately active on all sites (work out 4 to 5 days a week), 36 years old. Entered the same thing on every site.

Results varied for my maintenance calories: 2050, 2150, 2190, 2286, 2300, 2674

I was surprised, any website I got to and enter my info to calculate BMI are going to tell me the same thing. I guess I assumed there was a formula to determine calorie needs too, but apparently, it depends on the source!
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that I don't have an answer for you but I HAD to tell you that you look AMAZING!

It was just the motivation that I needed to keep at this! Truely amazing!!!

GREAT JOB!! :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There are several different equations used for determining BMR. The Harris-Benedict and Katch-McArdle equations are the most commonly used, and I believe the Katch one uses body composition as well. There are others that are more simple. I would just get the average of all of them.
  • 72lori
    Options
    There are several different equations used for determining BMR. The Harris-Benedict and Katch-McArdle equations are the most commonly used, and I believe the Katch one uses body composition as well. There are others that are more simple. I would just get the average of all of them.

Thanks, that's what I did. I threw out the highest and lowest numbers and averaged the other 4. It's an estimate anyway. I thought it was strange that they varied so much.

I have been on a plateau for almost 3 months now.... pretty much since I stepped foot in the gym. I'm trying hard to beat the darn thing. I will win!
  • nportillo
    Options
    Hi

Not sure where you live but if you are in the Seattle area you can arrange a RMR Test @ Columbia Athletic Club and get your RMR. If you live out of town you may want to explore if local gym/clubs offers this test.

I have the same problem and my dietician asked me to take this test to figure out my own # of calories rather than use formulas.

The test cost was $65

Hope this helps