Is this right?

Options
Okay, today I had a slim fast for b-fast and lunch. and half a tuna sandwich as a snack. My husband took us all out to dinner, mexican of course! Well, once I finally got everthing entered into my food diary, I was over my alloted calories by about 100 calories, then I entered all my excercise for the day, and I was out of the negative, and now have about 200 calories left to consume. Is that how it's supposed to work, and since I "earned" like 300 and change in calories, does that truely mean that I stayed under my alloted calories? I'm just a little confused? If anyone could make sense of that for me, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

ALC

178464.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    Okay, today I had a slim fast for b-fast and lunch. and half a tuna sandwich as a snack. My husband took us all out to dinner, mexican of course! Well, once I finally got everthing entered into my food diary, I was over my alloted calories by about 100 calories, then I entered all my excercise for the day, and I was out of the negative, and now have about 200 calories left to consume. Is that how it's supposed to work, and since I "earned" like 300 and change in calories, does that truely mean that I stayed under my alloted calories? I'm just a little confused? If anyone could make sense of that for me, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

ALC

178464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you received 300 exercise calories. You didn't go over your alloted cals then, and you could choose to eat all those exercise cals or not. That's a hot debate around here.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests eating your exercise calories. Some people eat them all, some eat part, some don't eat any of them. You will have to find what works for you.

Today you have stayed under your alloted calories. Yes, you even still have some left.

I execise in the morning and log it so I know how many calories I have to work with that day. It helps me to plan out my day.
  • taveragirl
    Options
    yea it is a hot topic around here... I try not to eat my exercise cals but as long as I dont go over inculding the exercise points earned Im usually happy. :tongue:
  • Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    Sounds like you received 300 exercise calories. You didn't go over your alloted cals then, and you could choose to eat all those exercise cals or not. That's a hot debate around here.

Thanks! That really helps me feel a little better about tonight! I hate it when my husband takes us all out! I at least refrained from eating the kids' food too! lol. I didn't even finsh my own. Wasn't hugry for it. But still...Mexican sure has a lot of calories! I can understand about there being a lot of debate over the "earned" calories. I try not to use them myself...just because it seems like excercise to earn more calories to eat?! Other times, it just seems like you are alloted a certain amount of calories, and when you burn off so many, you get some back because you burned off too many? Something like that, I don't really get it. I just do the best I can! Thanks, like I said, it sure did make me feel better!!!
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to eat a lot of my exercise calories, but am finding it very difficult most days because I am just not hungry enough.
    I also like to leave some, between 100-200, in case there is an error in the food I have chosen from the database. Some are spot on, but when I eat some homemade meals from the freezer I have only been able to make a guess based on the ingredients I remember using. I haven't been on here long enough to eat everything I had frozen.
    But today I was very hungry and ended up in the negative by about 25. I am not going to sweat over stuff like that.
    I would try and eat them for the most part, because you do need them, but I don't think there is any harm in banking a few. As long as it is not a few hundred all the time.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options

I also like to leave some, between 100-200, in case there is an error in the food I have chosen from the database. Some are spot on, but when I eat some homemade meals from the freezer I have only been able to make a guess based on the ingredients I remember using. I haven't been on here long enough to eat everything I had frozen.

I do the same thing! Esp because I eat food from the caf, and who knows what they put in it!
  • RXchic
    RXchic Posts: 47
    Options
    I think to eat or not to eat your exercise calories is a personal decision - neither one is right or wrong. For myself, I have made good progress in 5wks time. Not eating my exercise calories has played a big part in my success so far. And it is always a good idea to leave a little room when calculating your total calories - just in case... :wink: