I felt like giving up

Options
I don't know what it is, but for some reason, this week I understand all the people I've read on here who talk about how tired they are of the dieting and how they just want to throw in the towel.

I was disturbed by the idea, but I also remember thinking, "Now I understand what people are talking about."

Never in my life have I had to diet for more than a couple of weeks. Even when I had quite a bit of extra weight, either an illness or a crash diet always took care of business in a few weeks or months. I once lost 45 pounds in a ten week period after contracting a systemic fungal infection and finally learning a little bit about sugar and carbs. A few years ago, I tried an herbal diet supplement which, along with eating next to nothing, helped me shed about 30 pounds in a little less than two months. Not too surprisingly, I gained it all back with interest! So, I knew that the quick way out was not going to be a long term solution when I ballooned to 90 pounds over my ideal size. Now, in it for the long haul, I am starting to understand the fatigue and sense of weariness that I have read about from others' perspectives.

That's just how I feel. Weary. I don't really understand it completely, but I think it has something to do with a lifetime of bad habits catching up with me.

Thoughts?

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you can't look at this as a diet. It has to be a lifestyle change. We have to get used to this being NORMAL. Not a diet.... you get to STOP dieting eventually, you don't get to STOP being in this lifestyle.

It's hard. I totally get that. The only thing harder than this lifestyle is still being 60 pounds overweight... hearing the words " obese ". Not being able to find clothes I'm willing to wear. Not wanting to go on vacation cause I don't want to be seen in a swimsuit.

This is easier than that.

Keep it up - it WILL pay off.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't think of what I am doing as a diet. What began as a quest just to lose weight has turned into a quest to be healthy. I had to change my mindset. I refuse to let myself down. I don't want to be thin, I don't want to be skinny, I want to be healthy. I don't want a quick fix, I want new habits that are healthy. I want to reach a point that I don't have to plan or think about what I want to eat; I want healthy choices to be a habit. Some days are still harder than others and I'm sure they always will be, but I just tell myself I have come too far to begin moving backwards; so I work up the willpower to tell myself no. I tell myself that the fast food gravy biscuit is not as good as the self confidence I am building. Some days, yes I want to give up and throw in the towel because it would just be easier, it would be cheaper, it would be less time consuming but my self confidence and happiness are worth so much more than french fries and Little Debbie.