article about Cross Fit.

Options
I've been hearing a lot about Cross Fit lately and wondering if I should try it. I have to admit, after reading this article, I think I am inclined to stay on my treadmill, lol. It's kinda a long article, but I thought it was fair. Anybody addicted to Cross Fit who disagrees?

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/cult-crossfit

D'oh! I almost forgot the link!

Replies

• cailynb
    cailynb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Interesting read...the entire time I kept thinking, "Wow, the CrossFit people I know would flip out if they read this".... And then I read the comments on the article. Yikes. All they did was show the author's main point - Crossfitters can be very "cult-like" and the workout isn't for everyone (what workout is?!)...

Thanks for posting :)
  • jamiemc4525
    jamiemc4525 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy CrossFit because it never gets boring, it pushes me while at the same time it allows you to scale the workout. I may look at the WOD and scale the weights, the reps or the time based on what I feel like I can do and still be pushing myself to the limits. I enjoy the group workouts because they encourage me and motivate me---not to compete against others but myself and do better.

It doesn't sound like this guy had a good facility or something. I have trainers that are more than willing to help me with fitness, nutrition or techniques.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

It doesn't sound like this guy had a good facility or something. I have trainers that are more than willing to help me with fitness, nutrition or techniques.

Which is the main problem with Crossfit, there is no continuenty between gyms. Their instructors don't go through any type of legit certification process, nor do most trainers take the time to properly train individuals on complex lifts. Even if someone learns complex lifts, and can perform them perfectly, in a state of extreme fatigue, form goes. I don't care how in shape you are, if you're exhausted, your body does not behave like its supposed to.

Crossfitters talk about the "functional strength" aspect of the workouts, but you can acheive "functional strength" from traditional workouts as well just by incorporating Olympic lifts into their strength training program. Pretty much the creator of Crossfit has said, "We don't want to be the strongest, the fastest, or have the most endurance...we want to be right smack dab in the middle of the fitness world." He went on to bash power lifters and endurance athletes in the article. If a large something or other fell, trapping you beneath it, would you rather have a Crossfitter or power lifter there to free you? Who cares if he can't run, pure strength is needed sometimes.

Now I'm not saying Crossfit is bad, but it is cultish and there are other, and safer, ways to become fit.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Which is the main problem with Crossfit, there is no continuenty between gyms. Their instructors don't go through any type of legit certification process, nor do most trainers take the time to properly train individuals on complex lifts. Even if someone learns complex lifts, and can perform them perfectly, in a state of extreme fatigue, form goes. I don't care how in shape you are, if you're exhausted, your body does not behave like its supposed to.

Crossfitters talk about the "functional strength" aspect of the workouts, but you can acheive "functional strength" from traditional workouts as well just by incorporating Olympic lifts into their strength training program. Pretty much the creator of Crossfit has said, "We don't want to be the strongest, the fastest, or have the most endurance...we want to be right smack dab in the middle of the fitness world." He went on to bash power lifters and endurance athletes in the article. If a large something or other fell, trapping you beneath it, would you rather have a Crossfitter or power lifter there to free you? Who cares if he can't run, pure strength is needed sometimes.

Now I'm not saying Crossfit is bad, but it is cultish and there are other, and safer, ways to become fit.

I think you provided a good summary. It's interesting when you look at discussion groups consisting of strength-training professionals (National Strength and Conditioning Association), you don't see a lot of enthusiasm for cross fit--largely for the reasons you describe.

I like checking in on the website to get some workout ideas and I like some of the exercises, but I also know how to modify them to be more safe and effective. I wouldn't go to a crossfit gym for the same reason I don't go to strip clubs--I'm not morally against the activity--I just don't care for the clientele.