Pet Peeves!

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No matter how much people argue or disagree with me, no matter how much you challenge my beliefs, no matter if you accuse me of breaking the law (which I don't), one simple fact will remain;

Cyclists annoy me.

That is evident. I don't know who accused you of breaking the law, I did not. I did say that you should follow the law, meaning specifically understanding and accepting that the law requires cyclist to operate their bike as a vehicle and obey the rules of the road and for motorist to recognize the cyclist is right to do so. This is a hot issue for cyclists because if you follow the industry news you will see that cyclist are not infrequently intentionally run over and sometimes killed by motorist who do not like sharing the road.There have been several recent cases in the news of the intentional running down of cyclist. So for cyclists this is not a matter of you have your opinion and I have mine, this is literally life and death. I have had a car aim at me while running and force me from the road and I have had cars pass too close to me while cycling and run me off the road. I have a friend is is paralyzed from being run off the road. I don't at all mean to accuse you of promoting the running down of cyclist, but please consider that just railing against cyclist on the road may influence people in ways you cannot anticipate. This is a scary world and it is no small matter to stir up trouble for a law abiding community.

Intonation via text is as difficult as ever. The first sentence was an intentionally over-dramatic build up to my concluding statement, intended for semi-comedic effect. Cyclists aren't that badly treated here in London with the drive from the London Mayor and local governments encouraging it, so it's a shame to here about such things where you're from. I always give cyclists the same passing distance when overtaking as a car, same amount of space behind them on the odd ocassion they're in a queue of traffic and what not, and have never shared words of anger with a cyclist. I just believe roads should be the domain of the motorised vehicle - and I am irked by cyclists using the roads without need for licensing or road tax.

Your cool-headed response is appreciated :)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Intonation via text is as difficult as ever. The first sentence was an intentionally over-dramatic build up to my concluding statement, intended for semi-comedic effect. Cyclists aren't that badly treated here in London with the drive from the London Mayor and local governments encouraging it, so it's a shame to here about such things where you're from. I always give cyclists the same passing distance when overtaking as a car, same amount of space behind them on the odd ocassion they're in a queue of traffic and what not, and have never shared words of anger with a cyclist. I just believe roads should be the domain of the motorised vehicle - and I am irked by cyclists using the roads without need for licensing or road tax.

Your cool-headed response is appreciated :)"
    [/quote]

Thanks! Yes, I did catch the hyperbole and humor but I confess to being too easily riled up over this issue, for reasons already stated. I appreciate your courtesy towards cyclist and wish you well. This is supposed to be a humorous look at pet peeves but I felt that I had to step in in defenses of cyclist. That is done, so have at it!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    - Slow drivers in the left lane. Are you kidding me? There are two other lanes. Move over.

Ha! I love this one. This is big in Colorado because on certain roads it is illegal to be in the left lane except to pass. It's the classic way to spot an "out-of-towner". My boyfriend does it all the time, he's from the Midwest, and I am always kind of embarrassed to be the passenger. :tongue:
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    No matter how much people argue or disagree with me, no matter how much you challenge my beliefs, no matter if you accuse me of breaking the law (which I don't), one simple fact will remain;

Cyclists annoy me.

That is evident. I don't know who accused you of breaking the law, I did not. I did say that you should follow the law, meaning specifically understanding and accepting that the law requires cyclist to operate their bike as a vehicle and obey the rules of the road and for motorist to recognize the cyclist is right to do so. This is a hot issue for cyclists because if you follow the industry news you will see that cyclist are not infrequently intentionally run over and sometimes killed by motorist who do not like sharing the road.There have been several recent cases in the news of the intentional running down of cyclist. So for cyclists this is not a matter of you have your opinion and I have mine, this is literally life and death. I have had a car aim at me while running and force me from the road and I have had cars pass too close to me while cycling and run me off the road. I have a friend is is paralyzed from being run off the road. I don't at all mean to accuse you of promoting the running down of cyclist, but please consider that just railing against cyclist on the road may influence people in ways you cannot anticipate. This is a scary world and it is no small matter to stir up trouble for a law abiding community.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    This is the best answer I have seen. I am a cyclist, and I have wondered at times if some drivers consider the fact that they might kill someone! I have had things thrown at me, been run off the road, etc., one guy even followed me once! I am only obeying the law, and I just have to be on my guard, because I enjoy riding so much, I am not ready to give it up. There are lots of people that may annoy me for one reason or another, but I don't want to hurt them!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When people use the word "Conversate" , hate it!! :huh: :grumble: :angry: :explode: :mad:
  • elcyclista
    Options
    My pet peeves;

- Cyclists. You don't pay road tax. Get out of my road.

Boooo. XD but pedestrians don't pay sidewalk tax should they get off sidewalks too? XD

Hmmm let's see... I don't think I have any.

Oh hears one, when people texting and walking and not looking where they walking. It's dangerous you can run into someone. D:

I wanna get a dog and call him Peeve. Then I will be able to say, " this here is my pet Peeve" -_-
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma Chicken......

When traveling down the road, Drivers coming out of places on the right seem to wait until you are within spitting distance before pulling out in front of you, going in either direction. cutting in front of you if the want to go right or zipping around you if they want ot go left.:explode:

Also, the incomprehensible need to be in front of you if you want to change lanes, instead of just letting you merge in:mad:
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Boooo. XD but pedestrians don't pay sidewalk tax should they get off sidewalks too? XD

Well, we don't call them sidewalks here (we don't need such a literal name to understand where to put them /pokeamericans), but our pavements ARE taxed under our council tax. :tongue:
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    -People who don't shower daily
    -People who bash you just for having an opinion
    -Smoking
    -drug use
    - people who don't signal at all
    -chewing with your mouth open
    - facebook drama
    -dumbasses
    - people who makes excuses for everything ugh
  • elcyclista
    Options

Well, we don't call them sidewalks here (we don't need such a literal name to understand where to put them /pokeamericans), but our pavements ARE taxed under our council tax. :tongue:

Who pays the council tax?
  • ironanimal
    Options

Everyone :)
  • elcyclista
    Options

- people who don't signal at all
    I think I'll add this to my short list of pet peeves. XD
  • heatherhobbie
    heatherhobbie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    People who post DANGEROUS advice such as super low calorie deficit diets that net 200 calories a day. Will you lose? Yes. Will you be healthy? No. Will you look frail and unhealthy? Most Definitely. Will you be the skinny fat person? You betcha. So EAT SOMETHING! It is not a race. It is better to get to your goal slowly and healthily than fast and unhealthily. Fast and unhealthily results in excess skin hanging off your body and a weight that is harder to maintain once you start eating regularly.

thanks i have a rough time as it is, want to be proud and do it right!
  • elcyclista
    Options

Everyone :)

Ohhh. We get taxed here too so we eventually end up paying for paved ways as well.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    That I have to sleep... feels like I am wasting time.
    That I have to work.... feels like I am wasting life.
    That I have to poop... eat-eat-eat-poop ... repeat. Endless cycle.
    That I have to pee.... another cycle.
    That I have to pay alimony...damn California laws
    That I have to pay taxes
    That my son's Mom is well meaning but makes such poor choices with him so I end up being 'the bad guy'.
    The word 'acrosst'.... there is no 't' at the end.
    That all my MFPeeps live so far away and we can't hang out IRL
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Meeting people for the first time and they are dripping FAKE!
  • AngelEyes127
    Options
    - People (in public) that spank and yell at their children like they are the only ones around
    - People that pick up their children by one arm like they're a monkey
    - People that don't use turn signals
    - People that drive recklessly in their beat up Dodge Neon cars worth hardly anything that have spinners, spoilers and sound systems worth more than the vehicle itself.
    - People who are rude to others on MFP. (if you can't say anything nice, keep it to yourself!)
    - The attendants at the FULL serve gas stations that only pump your gas and do not clean your front and rear windows..... (They lose their tip if they don't do it with me....*****, yeah, I know!)
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    pointy elbows ....
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ohh, OP you would not like driving with or near me. I'm a bad driver rsrs. I blame learning to drive in a major city for that though.

I haaate when people use the wrong your/you're or their/there/they're or don't use a question mark after the word "what" (i.e. "what.") It also really bothers me when people use i.e. instead of e.g. (or the opposite).

And the word moist. Ewww I feel dirty even typing it.