Competitive softball: Youth athlete nutrition

Options
Researching youth athlete nutrition for my competitive softball player. Things have to change for her because she is playing at a much higher level than she ever has before.

I researched BMR and her activity level, it says she needs 2,000 cals per day.

I'm thinking since she is heavier than most her age 1,500 would be good to help her loose some weight too.

Stats: 10 yrs old, 5' tall, 135 lbs., plays catcher on a 10U competitive team.

Thoughts? :smile:

Replies

• lnmae
    lnmae Posts: 1
    Options
    I found a great article on best foods to eat before, during and after games/events:

http://www.usada.org/files/active/athletes/NutritionBookletFinal.pdf

While it doesn't speak in detail about recommended cal. intake or BMI vs. activity, it does discuss the best (healthy) food choices for an athlete. Check it out.

Good luck and keep me posted!

EC
    (impactsoftballtraining.com)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I think it's great you're researching nutrition for her. While my mom always cooked/bought pretty healthy food, she didn't control how much of it I ate and I got up to 150 at 5'3". That was when I was seventeen. I had always been a little pudgy as a kid too. I'm 19 now and am down to 128 :)

I think on game days you should up her calories so she doesn't have so much of a deficit, just because I know it's important to have lots of energy when youre in a competitive sport. But 1500 for an off day sounds about right to me!