FAGE Greek yogurt VS. YOPLAIT (FAKE!) Greek Yogurt

Options
13»

Replies

• Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    They're both equally disgusting, in my opinion.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I think 0% is "fake" too... I prefer full fat :smile:
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I go with Stonyfield Oikos (NOT Dannon Oikos) because of the same reason. No weird ingredients.

On top of being organic, Stonyfield also donates 10% of their profits to helping the earth.

Once you start looking at the ingredients in your yogurt, the selection becomes VERY limited!

Organic! Wins every time. I like the fage but I have to chose organic over it.
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    PS - I make my own Greek yogurt - a little bit of effort,, but I get a QUART of all natural, yummy, creamy heaven for less than $4 :)

I started making my own last November. It's added a whole new depth to my menu planning. I have a yogurt maker which really helps.

Just tried Chobani myself and liked it. How do you make Greek yogurt? and I've never even heard of a yogurt maker lol. Does that just help you mix everything up?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I eat fage 0% and 2% with cherry, honey, peach, and blueberry. I buy ten a week and eat a 0% for breakfast and 2% for desert.

And at 140 calories it's more filling than skinny cow :P
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have Lowfat Cabot..it contains pasteurized milk, skim milk, whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, live active yogurt cultures, enzymes, vitamins.
    SO it doesn't have gelatin or corn starch but has whey & milk protein added. I think that should be ok. I don't mind the taste at all. It has 22g protein per serving.

The ingredients are OK, but that isn't a strained greek yogurt. You'll want to see just milk and cultures for it to be official.
  • jadedone
    Options
    You're not the only one who's on to them : http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/yoplait-greek-yogurt-healthy/

Nice catch, and thanks for posting.

PS - I make my own Greek yogurt - a little bit of effort,, but I get a QUART of all natural, yummy, creamy heaven for less than $4 :)

i cant get greek yogurt where i live , but my cousin makes all natural homemade fruit yogurt for me. zero preservatives or anything. I heard you can make greek yogurt from regular and you seem to know how! mind telling me about it? i've been dying to know hahaha and tomorrow im going to my cousin's house so it would be the perfect time to experiment :D

Take a yogurt with minimal ingredients (i.e. milk and cultures). Line a strainer with a cheese cloth or coffee filters. PLace it over another bowl. Dump the yogurt in and place it in the fridge (I like to cover with plastic wrap). Wait about 3-4 hours and check the consistency. In your bowl there will be a lot of liquid. It may take 8 hours for it to get to your preferred consistency. That's it!
  • jadedone
    Options
    you have to look carefully at the labels. fage is greek yogurt. at trader joes, they call their version "greek style" yogurt, which as was already discussed, is just regular yogurt with gelatin and corn starch to make it thicker. oikos, chobani, and yoplait are all greek STYLE yogurt fakes! blech!

IMO, fage is worth the extra $$.

Trader Joe's has plain greek yogurts that are milk and cultures. The flavored ones have extra ingredients. TJs plain greek is very comparable to Fage.