Personal Trainers in the US?

Options
ishallnotwant
ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
What are your certs and why? How did you choose which certifications you wanted to get? It seems like there are so many...

NASM/ACE/ISSA/AFPA...and more? Do you have more than one certifcation?

A few years ago (or a bit more lol), when my kids were little, I was studying fitness and sports nutrition in the hopes of becoming a personal trainer...specifically to work with other moms. Unfortunately some things came up and I couldn't continue my studies at the time, being a single mom with several children. Now that i'm working through my health problems and losing some weight I put on last year, i'm kind of thinking about taking up the study again...my teens are really excited and encouraging me to try it out. :blushing: Years ago, I couldn't make up my mind which cert I wanted and I was wondering how you decided which one(s) to choose?

Thanks for any help/enlightenment you may be able to provide...

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    Options
    I went with NASM because a friend of mine who was going to be a pro bodybuilder recommended it. He said he got his NASM. That it's the most respected certification.

hey thanks Pu! I could have just asked this on my list lol. I didn't know I had anyone who was certified on my list.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get the NASM this year. I'm waiting for them to run another $50 off special. The coupon code wouldn't work for the last one.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    Are you both doing the certification online study course or have either of you decided to pursue the bachelor's degree or higher?
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    Are you both doing the certification online study course or have either of you decided to pursue the bachelor's degree or higher?

I guess you never read my profile, i already got mine, had it for a little while now, and i am majoring in biochemistry. I downloaded the videos and book and studied like that.

Sorry, I didn't read your prof lol. I knew you were studying chemistry and stuff from your posts but I didn't know if it was a degree related to the fitness cert or not...
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

They have online and text coursework. I am just going to go through that and take the test. I have a masters degree in accounting. Not really applicable. I'm not looking to make a living with it, so the degree part doesn't interest me.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    This is something I'm looking into doing too, I want to help other people with back injurys and disabilitys, I also want to be a nutritionalist =)

I was going to do this a couple years ago when I was really in good shape, I even visited a school in Costa Mesa, But was deterured! now I want to help others who think their life has been taken awy by their disability learn they can have a better qulity of life,

Are you planning on going solo or working at a GYM, I think you would have a real nitch for working with moms and other woman in their homes, you knowing how to get in a work out around kids and in the home could really give you an edge, and a Lot of woman don't want to leave their home for a work out if they don't have too
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    This is something I'm looking into doing too, I want to help other people with back injurys and disabilitys, I also want to be a nutritionalist =)

I was going to do this a couple years ago when I was really in good shape, I even visited a school in Costa Mesa, But was deterured! now I want to help others who think their life has been taken awy by their disability learn they can have a better qulity of life,

Are you planning on going solo or working at a GYM, I think you would have a real nitch for working with moms and other woman in their homes, you knowing how to get in a work out around kids and in the home could really give you an edge, and a Lot of woman don't want to leave their home for a work out if they don't have too

Yeah, I wanted the nutrition degree, too-I was studying sports nutrition at the time. That's exactly what I had been thinking years ago, like a mobile PT service. I thought maybe I could also work with overweight children and maybe special populations like asthmatics...I think it would be so fun! if I worked with stay at home moms, I might be able to schedule around the kids' school schedules so I could be home at the right times. I kind of wanted to target it to other Christians as a whole body worship thing...giving our health over to the Lord. :smile:

I was looking on the NASM website and I may ask Tiny if I can get the nutrition and the intro to personal training as starter courses...I haven't researched it much yet though so i'm not sure if I can just do it in bits and pieces like that.

It's so cool that you want to work with people with back injuries. Years ago I had a stay at home mom friend who had a preemie-he struggled with really bad respiratory problems for a few years. She was inspired to become a respiratory therapist because of his struggles. It was neat! He's now a healthy 14 year old and she is in the medical field.

When the kids were younger I was doing online courses, but I was unable to finish them because of some personal stuff after my sis came home from Iraq. It was really fun and interesting to learn about!
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Being able to fellowship at work is great!

My mom (and I) believe that God derrects a lot of His children that are being taken advantage of to her office, she is always getting born again believers in there, and some times the appointment truns into a little bible study it's kinda cool,

the other neat thing is my mom has noticed God only blesses her buesness if she turns away clients that are shady, she told me soo many times she would be stressing out about the bills and some one would come in there with cash and want a service but my mom can kinda read people and she will sense if their is something shaddy going on, so if she turns them away sure enough she will get a flood of cleints that really need her help, like kids being taken away for nonesnse, or Sad enough we wuld get soo many woman that were house wives that the hubby sheated and was leaving them, and they will come in all scared but my moms strong personality rubs off on them, its kinda neat, but any who if she contracts with the shaddy person she will go threw a Big finacail slum

God really does work personally in His childrens lives, So I know God will bless you in this =)