Never cooked with Baby Spinach...

Options

Replies

• Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do not care for Spinach, but I came across a recipe & now I drink my spinach for breakfast. I found this recipe & it is quite popular, I know it sounds totally strange but it is super YUMMY, packed full of vitamins & I do not even taste the spinach at all.
    It is called the Green Monster Smoothie. You can google it if you wish. Here is a link to a recipe for it, but there are hundreds of different variations of the drink.

http://iowagirleats.com/2012/01/04/my-top-secret-diet-weapon/

I was skeptical at first but after making it, one, two, three, four etc.... times you get the picture !
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Another one of my favorite dishes is stuffed chicken breasts. Fillet the chicken, stuff with goat cheese and spinach, put toothpicks in them to hold the chicken together, and bake. So good...
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I pretty much add spinach to anything. Stick it in a food processor and add it to casseroles. Give it a dice and add it to pasta dishes. It's flavor is pretty bland on it's own so it hides well in just about anything.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    spinach is great, not just baby spinach... the bigger leaves make a great 'bun' for a burger or hotdog at the barbecue. It's compact, doesn't impart much taste itself...
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I just made some steamed spinach and added shelled edamame (from the frozen foods section), and it's delicious and filling. Just needs a little salt and pepper and you're good to go! (Plus it's pretty on your plate!)
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I prefer my spinach cooked, I feel it has more flavor that way. It only takes about ten seconds to cook. I just heat up my wok (skillet will work) with a very small dribble of olive oil and throw in the spinach and stir until it wilts and is bright green. Immediately remove from heat to a serving bowl, add a shake or two of soy sauce and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. My favorite in the world! We eat it just like this (half a package of spinach per person) or use it to top brown rice or pasta, as a filling for an omelette, enchiladas or lasagna, etc.

If using for enchilada filling I wilt the spinach with a few tablespoonfuls of canned enchilada sauce instead of the soy/lemon mixture. It's probably my family's favorite enchilada filling.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    It's delicious just sauteed with some olive oil and garlic. Simple but tasty and it cooks in like 5 minutes.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Love it in casseroles! Just cut it up and mix it with eggs, cheese, cooked sausage, few pieces of bread torn up into small pieces and salt and pepper and put in a greased cooking dish. I usually use 6 eggs (3 whole, 3 whites) and close to 1 cup of cheese and cook at 350 degrees for about 45 mins (depending on the size of your casserole dish).

I also use bacon sometimes, and when I do I cook it and crumble it and put it on top of the casserole instead of the inside - it's gets too soggy for me inside. And the leftovers are just as good so I get many meals out of it! :smile:
  • mcubed85
    Options
    I have an excellent "Green Smoothie" it may sound weird, but it's really tasty. Mix everything well in a blender: 1 cup torn baby spinach, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 cup vanilla soy milk, 2 scoops vanilla protein powder, 1/2-1 medium banana. If you add more banana it gets thicker. You can also add ice if you want it thicker with less calories.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Spanakopita.
  • maricris1971
    maricris1971 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know uncooked are better for the body but I cook them with my egg for breakfast or in soups, even in the rice....
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I add it to everything, even smoothies.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I think the key is not to cook it. Well, thats mine anyway!
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I like to sautee spinach in a tad bit of real butter for a minute then add in some eggs and scramble it up.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you're into Indian food, I occasionally make Moong Dal & Spinach over brown rice (yellow lentils).

http://amuhlou.tumblr.com/post/15624069917/moong-dal-and-spinach

The post links to where I found the recipe, which includes a video on how to do it.

It's very good with a little greek yogurt on the side.
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    I like it raw! Cooked spinach leaves this weird feeling in my mouth after I eat it, kind of bitter-squeaky-waxy
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Try throwing some in with whole wheat pasta after it's been cooked- you can replace half of the calories with the spinach. Also, sneak it into smoothies.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love to add spinach to my omlettes! I've also sauteed it with other veggies and tossed with shrimp and a laughing cow wedge for a creamy primavera type dish. www.allrecipes.com is my go to site for all types of recipes.

Thats what I do....just toss it in with my veggies at the end...use a little rice vinegar or balsamic or lemon juice, let it get slightly warm and wilted and thats it.

I love baby spinach. try it in the monster green smoothie....you wont taste it....and you still get all the benefits
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Recipe name Baby Spinach Omelet

I have this one out on the database... it is very yummy and you can throw red/orange/yellow peppers cut small in there too. ;)

Good luck!
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have an actual "recipe", but I cook it in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic, and I like to mix the spinach with some other healthy, but less palatable greens (chard, kale, mustard greens, etc.). Just cut the other greens into small strips and cook them first until soft, then mix in the baby spinach and cook until the spinach is done. I love it! I probably eat it at least twice a week.