Orange Juice

Options
My name is Frances and just interested in being heart healthy. Learned something yesterday.....didn't know orange juice had so much sugar in it. I've been using it in my protein smoothie and no jeez1

Replies

• billphoenix5
    billphoenix5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Re: orange juice, I have an orange tree in my backyard and the oranges are ripe and delicious Jan - March. I indulge myself with 4 ounces of fresh squeezed OJ every morning when they are in season. I burn it off picking them off the tree and squeezing the juice out of them anyway. The taste and vitamins are worth it. I don't buy store bought juice.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    better off eating the whole orange!
  • brunettesrule
    Options
    Yeah, whats with all the sugar in 250ml of freshly squeezed orange juice.

I love my freshly squeezed orange juice, juiced by myself. Just the thought of it makes my mouth water.

Thought I might have a glass with my poached eggs on toast every morning. When i put it in the tracker - 20g of sugar OMG WT?!!! :mad:

But surely this natural sugar should not be lumped in together with sugar you put into your tea/coffee?

This goes the same for honey, its all natural and has 17 calories of sugar for every 20grams.

SO whats the deal with our sugar content, and should we just ignore natural sugar in our trackers?

Thanks Jane :smile:
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Look for orange juice that doesn't contain added sugar. There are lots of them out there.

:drinker:
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I personally ignore the sugar tracker. For the most part, my sugar comes from natural and whole fruits (which I will not stop eating!) so I just ignore the sugar numbers.
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Until yesterday, I don't think I'd had orange juice in at least ten years. I just don't really like it all that much. But yesterday, I had it half and half with water and it was rather nice, actually.

Won't be making a habit of it--if for no other reason than because it is expensive! The sugar, at least, is fruit sugar rather than processed granulated.... Still calories though.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I had an orange or orange juice. I have lots of fruit, that's just not one of them.
  • beaversprings
    Options
    Sugar is sugar whether it is table sugar, high fructose corn syrup, honey or "natural" sugars in juice and fruit. They all are processed and affect the body the same way. All sugars count. Sorry.
  • brunettesrule
    Options
    Thanks all. A very divided debate. Seems lots of people don't count their sugar content and others don't count the natural sugar.

I research google and found an interested article about fruit and its natural sugars.

http://www.thefruitpages.com/sugar.shtml - particularly "The burning process & sugar in fruit"

Based on this website, I will be having my daily freshly squeezed orange juice.

Each to their own.

Have a great day, cheers, Jane